What's new

BEST brush for soap?

Boar vs. Badger - which is best when using a hard soap?

• Total voters
Been a wet shaver for years, but mostly using creams. Recently started using more hard soaps.

Always used a BADGER brush since I assumed it to be the best. Wondering if perhaps a BOAR brush, with its stiffer bristles, would be preferable for forming the OPTIMAL lather from a hard soap.

Any ideas/opinions, gents?

Thx! 🧐

Well the backbone will make it feel easier to load harder soaps, although it might eat some lather while being broken in. Lather could be not optimal for a little, but just loading a little longer can work. I like both, a badger boar mixed knot works very good as well.

"Better" is painting with way too broad a brush in that both can do it perfectly week, just with slightly different techniques. To say nothing of "better" meaning different things to different folks.

The softest floppiest brush in the world can load the hardest soap just fine, so neither is it a matter of 'moar backbone moar gooder' like some people assume.

Which is better? Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla? Neither. They're different

My most versatile brush is my SOC Mistura 50% Boar/50% Finest badger.

Most tricky thing for me are croaps. I don't like to load them from the container so I spoon them in a bowl. Then I have to disolve them completely without any clumps or residue sticking to the ridges of the bowl. I can only do this with brushes that have a lot of backbone so boars, the said Mistura and Shavemac's D01-Two Band resp. Zenith's Manchurian for badger brushes.

Hard soaps and soft badgers are a non issue when you bloom your soap a bit.

Boar brushes do very well on hard soaps and softer soaps, too. They can become very soft at the tips while retaining firm backbone. For instance, a couple of good quality medium-size boar brushes are the Omega 11137 and Semogue 1250. They require around 15-20 lathers to break in and then become soft and lather great.

These brushes are not expensive, so it's worth experimenting a bit.

Last edited:
I believe there is nothing like that. I mean some people say that "This brush is not good for hard soaps", I can't agree with that. You can use any brush with any cream, soap (croap or hard, doesn't matter). If you want to use a soft brush, but you are afraid of the possibility that a hard soap can break your bristles, then bloom your soap like 1 to 2 min (I recommend you to use HOT water to bloom for soap to become softer), soak your brush inside of a mug for 5-10 min more than usual. If you are still not able to create any lather with your brush after that you've applied these steps, then put your 3 finger inside the knot, I mean hold it from the knot with 3 fingers just like an Italian or Turkish barber would do. So every brush is good for a hard soap or croap soap or cream. No differences. But if I have to pick one type of brush that does well on hard soaps, then it would be boar of course.

Totally up to you!

I pretty much decided that I prefer soaps. After returning to ‘traditional‘ wet shaving I started with boars then moved to badgers. Great results with either option!! :a29: :a29:

I have always preferred soaps to creams. My brushes have been badger, and usually the "better" grades. Some have been quite soft and they still make fine lather with even a hardish puck of soap. Get the brush wet, and use hot water and they are just fine.

...Wondering if perhaps a BOAR brush, with its stiffer bristles, would be preferable for forming the OPTIMAL lather from a hard soap...

I'm with @GNR on this.

I can't see any reason for a brush that in your opinion provides OPTIMAL lather for you right now with creams wouldn't do the same for soaps. You simply adjust your technique to accommodate the product.

Time and work involved might be different for various brushes but it's measured in tens of seconds. OPTIMAL lather I read as high quality lather you should find comparable to what you already know.

Last edited:
Thanks for your valuable input, gents! 😉

I’ve decided to get a boars brush after all, to compliment my synthetic and my badger brushes.

I assumed boar might be SLIGHTLY superior when using soap due to the “friction” factor.

I figured, the more friction, the better the lather (when it comes to hard soaps, anyway).

Besides, the entry level purchase for a boars is so minimal ($10-$15), that it’s virtually risk free (versus getting a $100 top-of-the-line badger).

For loading off a puck I like synthetics and boars, badgers not so much. Synthetics feel softer and don’t eat any product, I’d go for a synthetic. If dead set on natural, I’d go boar.

For loading off a puck I like synthetics and boars, badgers not so much. Synthetics feel softer and don’t eat any product, I’d go for a synthetic. If dead set on natural, I’d go boar.
While I agree with those that say you can get a decent lather with ANY brush, I have a hunch it may be easier with a boars, especially the NEWER it is.

As for synthetics, they’re OK. They just can’t hold the water that a good badger can.

Which is better? Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla?
1626706906278.png
;)

I have been seduced by synths. My instincts ran toward badger due to their heritage and cost, but my best performers are synths. I may feel different if id had the pleasure of a Manchurian Badger but I doubt it. I have a Simpsons Colonel which i use for old times sake on occasion, but for all round no fuss get right in there performance on pretty much any soap, my synths win out. Then the only variable is load time/water etc.

On my MWF i was about to give up on it when i had used only badgers. The lather was weak and would barely hold a pass. The synths whip it to glory in moments. So at that moment I heard the angels singing and from then on synths hold pride of place in the den. The badgers dwell at the back of the cupboard.

As always, everyone's experience will differ.

Top Bottom