What's new

Best brush cleaner?

Hi all,

Wondered what you all used to clean soap scum from your brush? I can clean my razor well enough with cleaners and home remedies, but the brush is a little tricker for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

Kyle

Soak the brush in warm water
Squirt on some baby shampoo
Work it into the bristles
Leave it standing while you lather with a different brush and shave
Rinse well when you clean the rest of your kit after shaving

Soak the brush in warm water
Squirt on some baby shampoo
Work it into the bristles
Leave it standing while you lather with a different brush and shave
Rinse well when you clean the rest of your kit after shaving
This. It is, after all, hair (unless a synth)

I do this on a brand new, unused brush, and maybe once a year thereafter, as the spirit moves me. I don't believe it's really necessary.

I rinse my brushes very thoroughly (all badger BTW), and I don't believe there is a soap scum buildup...how can you tell?

I'm on well water, so I get a build up on mine. Once or twice a year I use some Dawn dish soap on them. For quick cleans, I just lather them on a Neutrogena facial bar and rinse. Works great. Some brush makers recommend against using heavy duty cleaners like Borax.

i haven't really had a need to clean it. i just swirl it around my scuttle a few times in hot running water and rub the bristles on my hand a few times, that seems to remove any residual soap. i then hang it to dry.

there's always a plan B

To remove soap buildup, the best is dilute vinegar 20%-30% (I use plain cheap white vinegar) with water. I add a bit of glycerine to it to help moisturize the hairs and let the brush soak for 5-10 minutes. Making sure that the level of the liquid is high enough to get into the knot where most of the soap scum seems to accumulate.

No need to wash it because it lives in soap every time I use it.

Much like your sink and tub basins, dishwasher innards, washcloths,...

No germophobe here (or more accurately, keeping head-in-sand for the less known the better), but the frequency of this claim is simply astounding. Shaving-specific lather fuels and cleansing soaps/detergents differ remarkably!

Better to keep on thinking as above, but as someone did ask,..if you want shock value, do some before/after shots under blacklight of your favored knot after using anything designed specifically to remove soap residues; the matrix honeycomb cell will have been unhappily departed, but with any luck you'll keep on enjoying your bit of kit. It really isn't critically important to lathering, after all.

Top Bottom