What's new

Best "box store" bar of soap

Hello all,

First post in the subforum.

My wife and I like trying different soaps and are currently using different soaps from "Buck Naked soap company". They are decent but not great. It may be because it's winter here and extremely dry but my skin feels dry after using it and I'm having this problem with a lot of soaps I try.

So I guess the question is what soap would you guys recommend that you can find at Walmart or Shoppers Drug Mart (Canadian store) that will hydrate the skin and has a nice scent and doesn't dry you out.

Thanks!

It depends on if you want to stick to soap in the strictest definition of the word. My recommendation if you're sticking to Walmart and Shoppers is Dove.

That being said, if you go on Amazon Canada you can get Pre de Provence and Nesti Dante soap and that stuff is absolutely top notch. Another option that I would recommend is to look around locally, chances are there is someone at the farmers market or some local artisan that is making fantastic soap. Google your city name and soap, you might be surprised by how many results you get.

I should mention as well that I'm also Canadian and only slightly obsessed with soap :001_rolle. Check out Winners and Marshalls and you're bound to find some nice options there as well. Health food stores also offer some intriguing and worthwhile soaps such as Dr. Bronners and Guelph Soap Co.

Also, you know Bulk Barn? Yeah. Go there and check out their display of Soap Works. For $2-$3 a bar, it is pretty good stuff. They have a really nice Lavender bar that might fit the bill for you.

If you are looking to go with Nesti Dante, you can find them cheaper on Well.ca. They have a great selection of soap and is definitely worth a look.

In terms of Canadian artisans that I've tried, I recommend Old Soul Soap Company (Hanmer, Ontario), Garden Path Handmade Soap (Vankleek Hill, Ontario), and Forever Soapworks (London, Ontario). I tend to try new companies and artisans every now and again just to keep things fresh, so that list is bound to grow.

Winners has some pretty cool soaps. You can also find frags for decent prices there too. I picked up some Terre d'Hermes last time I was there and Burberry London the time before.

I don't know specifically about the two stores you mention but Dr. Bronners makes top notch, natural soaps fragranced with natural, essential oils (they smell wonderful), and their soaps are also somewhat mass market and available at big box stores in the states.

Last edited:
I second the Winners and Marshall’s comment. I’ve found Saponificio Veresino 3-pack body bars at Winners for $6. Awesome deal. Try your luck, there’s bound to be something there.

I highly recommend Kirk's coconut soap from Walmart I think its $4 for a 3 pack. I also chop up one bar of soap into tiny squares and add it to 64 oz of boiling water to melt it down into a great and economical hand soap. Just buy a foaming hand soap dispenser (many different kinds at Whole Foods) and after you use up the Whole Foods soap you can keep refilling it with your melted down Kirks.

It is such a soft and pleasant soap that I use the liquid as a face wash also.
proxy.php

I have made the switch to strictly bar soap as well. I decided I didn't like paying for the added water in liquid soap. For shampoo I use Grandpa's soap. Which I have found in both my normal big box grocery store (Kroger/King Soopers) and at Sprouts (natural leaning grocers). Pine Tar Bar Soap (4.25 oz) • The Grandpa Soap Company

For my body I think I am using Kiss My Face brand bar soap. It works well, and I think I bought it when it was buy one get one free at the big box grocery store. Coconut Milk Soap | Bar Soaps, Cleansers & Soaps | Kiss My Face I do not find it drying in this Colorado air even in winter.

Shea moisture 3 butter bar soap is awesome, reasonably priced , and has a great scent . Its found at Target and grocery stores here in the States.

I have made the switch to strictly bar soap as well. I decided I didn't like paying for the added water in liquid soap. For shampoo I use Grandpa's soap. Which I have found in both my normal big box grocery store (Kroger/King Soopers) and at Sprouts (natural leaning grocers). Pine Tar Bar Soap (4.25 oz) • The Grandpa Soap Company
I've read that the pine tar soap is supposed to be good for shaving as well. Have you tried it this way?

I've been using Zest brand soap for the past year. It did reduce the dry feeling that other soaps give me but it certainly hasn't eliminated it. It's also fairly inexpensive if that's a concern.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
whole foods probably inst a "box store" or is it? now thats its Amazon, but anyway they have a sale on soap $1 per bar. I was going to get some but the bins were not marked with the scent and i was on lunch and didnt feel like buying soap....seems like a good sale for the quality soap.

I was grabbing Yardley and Kirk's Castille from the local Walmart as they are the only two that they had that were all natural. Just take a look at the ingredient list and see if there are six ingredients that you can pronounce or a list as long as your arm of chemicals with long hard to spell names. Between those two I prefer the Kirk's and tend to purchase that one exclusively now.

I've ordered a ton of soaps online to try as well but I keep going back to the Kirk's because it's easy to source without having to pay shipping to get it.

The Kirk's has a very light coconut smell but it lathers great. The lack of chemicals I suspect make it much better for my skin.

Top Bottom