What's new

Best boar brushes under $30

Given all of your experience with Zenith boar brushes, maybe you can help me on this. I have two Zenith boar brushes. One I bought new as a B07 Eural aluminum handled brush. It is supposed to be 24 X 57. I measured it today and it's close - it's actually 24 X 58. I do find it a bit floppy, which is why I just bought a (used) B8, or at least that's how it was described. On different sites I see different descriptions. The actual measurements of my brush are 28 X 54. It's the best boar brush I've ever used out of about maybe 8 that I've used over the years. When I mention it on the forum, I've been calling it a B8. Is that actually correct? Is it just a particularly short lofted B8 or is it a different model? Also, while I expect there to be differences from boar to boar, the hairs on this brush are quite different from the B07. Is that usual? I've attached a couple of photos.

View attachment 977434 View attachment 977435
I just saw on the Gentle Shave website this brush description, which perfectly matches the actual dimensions of my brush (and looks just like it):
Big Scrubby Zenith Pro Aluminum Handle XL Boar Shave Brush. 28x54mm knot. B14
So I guess it's a B14 and not a B8.

@Steve_in_CT

I think I might be able to give some information to your query.

The brush on the left has bleached bristles, the brush on the right looks like it has unbleached bristles.

I have 2 Zeniths, one bleached which looks like yours on the left with a white handle which is very floppy, and another with unbleached bristles which is the best brush I own.
Thanks, zoidberg. I just double-checked on the tvbshaving site where I bought the B07 brush, and it is indeed bleached. There is another brush with the same handle and dimensions that is unbleached. I probably would have preferred that one. I still use the bleached brush but like you I find it floppy, and the large B14 (as I now know it to be) is unbleached and in combination with itsshorter loft is not floppy at all. It is the best boar brush I have owned.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I got my first boar a couple of weeks ago. A Semogue 1470. I like the plain wood handles.

You have stumbled upon one of shaving's best value boar brushes! Best of everything ... not huge like those giant Omegas, un-dyed hairs, great backbone, and super price.

full

I have a razorock boar with cherry handle I bought from IB. I absolutely love the soc in cherry handle so Im hoping for similar performance. In the future I also hope to get the soc ivory handle. Their performance when breaking in has actually shocked me as I was used to the giant omega 48

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
2ECAA863-6850-4706-848C-7F77272A6FE3.jpeg
2ECAA863-6850-4706-848C-7F77272A6FE3.jpeg
I've recently tried boar and am completely hooked. I have to admit that I had turned my nose up to boar in the 13 years I've been wetshaving. I now see the error in my ways.

I have an Omega 49 and a Semogue Owner's Club. I've only used the Semogue once and really liked it. I've used the Omega several times and have already noticed it becoming much softer. Both are ton of fun.

Not that I really need or even want a new brush right now, but since these great brushes are so ridiculously cheap, are there any other sub-$30 boar brushes I should be looking at that would perform a little differently than the Omega 49 or SOC? I do not like boar brushes with the faux badger stripe, so those are out.

Thanks
Here is a photo of a red Omega Pro 10048 with over 3,000 shaves on it compared to a new Omega 10048. These are excellent brushes.

One good thing about boar brushes is that you can cut the hair if they split too much. Barbers do that in my country.

I have limited experience with boar and synthetic. I've only started using both types recently.

My synthetic (RazoRock Monster) is extremely soft, but it has no backbone. It will create a great lather though and is gentle on my face. I don't find it to be a particularly fun brush though.

My Omega Pro boar brush is getting softer and has a nice bit of backbone to it, which is what I prefer. To get a good lather with a boar brush I have been soaking both the brush and the soap while I shower. Once I'm ready, I give the brush a few good shakes to get a lot of the water out, dump out the water on the soap, and start swirling. After the brush has a good bit of soap on it, I start lathering my face with the brush still not having much water in it. I'll slowly add water to the brush and the lather will start to get nice and creamy.

My method takes some time to get a good lather, but that's intentional. I enjoy letting the brush work my face (something I don't get from my synthetic), so I don't mind drawing that process out.

Give the boar brush a chance. From what I hear and what I am experiencing, the brush will only get better with use.
Hi, It looks like our brush strategy is similar. A RazoRock Monster has been my go to for the past few years as I love how it quickly generates lots of great lather from all but the hardest of soaps. Great feel while face lathering too. Brush has held up over two years of continuous use losing only one hair.

Two months ago I acquired a RazoRock Blondie (rebranded Zenith 80N) for $9 U.S. that is similar in size to the Omega 10049 and have found it to do an excellent job building thick later from my triple milled Williams Mug soap (picture attached with remaining lather after two passes). The bristles are treated so as to be somewhat pre-broken in with no funk. I thoroughly wet the brush and add a few drops of water to my soap a couple minutes before using it. Lather initially in my apothecary mug and then finish via face lathering. Key is to add just the right amount of water, typically adding a few drops 2-3 times when mug lathering, to get slick and long lasting lather.

The Blondie also works well with my somewhat softer Van Der Williams blends though I prefer the Monster on those. For my Proraso red croap only the Monster will do.

Took about 5 shaves for the brush to splay out nicely. It now my go-to whenever I use Williams. RazoRock offers the same knot on an Olive or Cherry wood handle for under $30 for those that prefer a more upscale option.

At $9 for the Blondie and $13 for the Monster it's a cost effective way for shavers to have the ideal brush for most types of soaps and creams.

Bottom line you are right that we should give the boar brush a chance. It's the ideal compliment to a softer synthetic.

Attachments

• IMG_5823.JPG
    IMG_5823.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
Wait a minute... I just realised what the title of this thread is.
There are boar brushes for *more* than 30 dollars?
How high do they go?

Top Bottom