What's new

Best Blades for a Feather Artist Club SS?

Hi Gents,

I had my first straight razor shave yesterday which went without blood shed and very little irritation!

B2BF9FFF-776C-4717-B930-8AFF63A06757.jpeg

I used the Pro guard blades shown as I thought they would be the best choice for a beginner. However, I have a thick beard and sensitive skin. I found at times the blade felt like it was tugging a little. This may well be my technique as I still have lots to learn, but wondered if there was a more appropriate blade for me?

My favorite blade is the Kai ProTouchMG. Things that might help with the tugging include wetter lather as noted, and possibly shallower angle of attack, laying the razor very close to flat on the face. The SS seems to do some sort of skin-stretching by its very design, but additional skin stretching definitely helps too.

I found at times the blade felt like it was tugging a little. This may well be my technique as I still have lots to learn, but wondered if there was a more appropriate blade for me?

Those new to straights often report dullness when, truly, it's the angle that is off. For a starting point, place the razor head flat against the skin and then slowly change the angle until the blade engages the hair.

If I were you I'd do two things:
  • First I'd pick a blade, and stick with it until sure you've got the hang of it
  • Meanwhile, order a sampler from either Tryablade (US) or Razor Blade Club (EU)
FWIW Feather's own promotional material suggests the Super for heavy beards, and the SS + Super combo is also often recommended and praised on the forum.

I have no Feather but a clone. With this razor I like Feather ProGuard and Chick ProLine. I've also Dorco Barber blades but I like them not so much

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me there are three keys to a good AC shave. First a very shallow angle with the spine only just away from the skin. Second, a very light touch. Very light, so you barely touch the skin with the blade. How ever light you think you are, go lighter. Third, I use a wetter lather than for a DE shave. In my view the guarded blades can remove any beard; I use them with my Feather DX and also the Feather Professional blades when I fancy a greater challenge. They are exactly the same in terms of sharpness and dimension but without a guard. The Professional Pro blades have more blade exposure as they are slightly wider, but are no sharper in my experience. I would work on your technique before you change blades. Good luck.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The Proguard is the only blade I’ve ever used in my Feather AC. Give it a chance, it’s a very good blade IMHO. As others have advised there are several other variables to look at. Skin stretching (holding the skin taught) really improved the closeness I could achieve. Hope it works out.

Stretching also is great to decrease blade tug, which the OP complains about, by putting the hair at an angle, where it is easier to cut. Though lipped razors like the SS seem to rely less on it.

Straights are great teachers because they won't look past the bending of the 'rules' in the same way as safety razors do: this is both one of their greatest strengths, and biggest weaknesses.

Short strokes is one of those principles that I find is particularly important when shaving with a straight.

And I have to keep reminding myself not to shave too quickly (overconfidence is sneaky).

Make sure your whiskers are lathered to softness and keep your blade shallow. If you feel tugging it means you are inadvertently lifting up the angle of the blade. I’m no expert as I’m only on my third shave with my feather SS and pro guard, but once I learned to keep that angle shallow and consistent, things improved nicely.

Thank you for everyone’s input.

I’ll try a wetter lather (for what it’s worth I use a pre-shave oil too) next time and concentrate on a shallow blade angle.

I also like the Momentum comment from global_dev. I think my cautiousness on occasions meant I didn’t have sufficient blade momentum.

Once I’ve worked on these areas and feel I’ve got the hang of it I’ll try a blade sampler.

Wow, we are on the very same track here, with the same starting date, same equipment, and similar experiences! I think it's great you had a first shave with very little irritation and no blood. How many passes did you do, and how close of a shave do you feel you got? My first try, I was really timid with the thing, and didn't accomplish much. Today, I was more committed to the strokes I was making ("momentum"), and had a much better time. But still, I only did about two passes and then finished up with a DE. I think you picked the right blade and it will become clear with time and experience. Like you, I hope to "move up" after a while though.

What a coincidence! Great to hear your 2nd shave was better. I did 2 passes.

In some areas it felt just as close as my DE, others not so much.

I have a beard so use it on my neck and to tidy up cheeks and lines. I’ve a fairly pronounced Adam’s Apple so either side of this and my wind pipe are the challenging areas. Playing with how I hold the razor seemed to help to get the correct angle. I think more skin stretching should also help flatten the skin.

Wow, we are on the very same track here, with the same starting date, same equipment, and similar experiences! I think it's great you had a first shave with very little irritation and no blood. How many passes did you do, and how close of a shave do you feel you got? My first try, I was really timid with the thing, and didn't accomplish much. Today, I was more committed to the strokes I was making ("momentum"), and had a much better time. But still, I only did about two passes and then finished up with a DE. I think you picked the right blade and it will become clear with time and experience. Like you, I hope to "move up" after a while though.

I’ll try a wetter lather (for what it’s worth I use a pre-shave oil too) next time and concentrate on a shallow blade angle.

I'd focus on the angle first and foremost.

When I first started out, I began with body hair first to work out the angle; then I tried lathering up my face, and found it didn't help because it obscured the underlying surface.

Until you get some kind of muscle memory, you will find it easier if you can see exactly what you are doing. Perhaps use a clear 'precision' shaving gel.

BTW the razor is more than capable of mowing down hair without any soap or lather at all. I use them dry to do detail work all the time.

Others, with different skins and beards, may find they need to take special precautions, however I personally never used oil in my life.

You don't want to provide yourself with a crutch that will make things too easy and obscure problems with the angle.

Get the most important thing right, angle, and the rest will follow.

Good luck!

I have a thick beard, sensitive skin, use a Feather AC RG with the Proguard blades for many years. Light touch, proper angle and definitely... do not let your mind wander while shaving! Go Zen Like, empty your mind, enjoy the shave and when you've finished with a clean face, no nicks, no blood, you've had that inner feeling of accomplishment. Enjoy!

Drop the beard oil, get that lather good and hydrated. I have an SS and those things cut at a very acute angle...nearly flat/parallel with skin. I like Proline p-30 blades much better than Feathers, but if your technique is on point then you'll be able to perform a comfortable shave with any quality blade.

Only change one variable at a time, though.

Hi Gents,

I had my first straight razor shave yesterday which went without blood shed and very little irritation!

View attachment 1197127
I used the Pro guard blades shown as I thought they would be the best choice for a beginner. However, I have a thick beard and sensitive skin. I found at times the blade felt like it was tugging a little. This may well be my technique as I still have lots to learn, but wondered if there was a more appropriate blade for me?
Firstly congrats! Great razor, great choice.

When I bought my AC SS, I ordered Professional Super blades with it, as it claimed it'd best resemble a true SR experience. I wasn't disappointed. That said the Pro Supers are the only blades I ever used with my AC SS. For me it worked great, but as always YMMV.

Maybe give the regular Pro's a go...?

Aren't those great?

I just started.

I went straight to the Professional, so you may prefer that.

Even the sharpest blade will tug if the beard has not been softened though. If I have not just had a hot shower, I'll hold a hot towel on my face. Redipping it in a bowl of very hot water, and press it on my face three times.

That does it. A much smoother shave, no tugging.

If you have problem with lather being the reason for obscuring the beard and razor contact, or you want a slick shave cream while actually being able to see your blade contact, go for -
Pinaud Clubman Shaving Cream Tub @ $10 for about 15 Oz.
It is slick, brush less and may help you with finding when the angle of contact is going wrong, also barbershop scent will create a mood itself.

Edit : make that 16 Oz.

Top Bottom