What's new

best blade & razor pairing πŸ‘πŸΌ

First post 🍻🍻

I have one of these on the way and a good stock of Astra's, so it'll be interesting to see if my experience agrees with yours.... Fingers crossed mine doesn't stick together like yours has, I've still got the scars from a similar experience with an R41 9 years ago!!

What I can say, for any interest it may provide, is that in my Mamba .70 (that this is supposed to be a copy of), the Astra is nice but the real golden blade is a Treet Carbon - only for two shaves, but two incredible shaves... An odd blade though, excels in some razors and nothing special at all in others - a true YMMV blade, especially if your razor varies.
i use plastic washers between the head and handle of my razors, they usually just fall off when holding the head after removing from the handle, the razor and head came with a little rubber washer attached, and i decided to just leave the rubber washer on, after first use the rubber washer was stuck on kind of like a suction, i had to fiddle to remove it, hence why i sliced my finger, i binned the rubber washer and replaced by one of my plastic ones, just be careful if yours has the rubber washerπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
View attachment 12176344th use of the Astra Platinum blade this time with the blue Yaqi razor, another perfect shave, what i am noticing,considering i was going to use each Astra blade 3 times and then replace, the Astra blade seems to get better each use, hence why I've used it a 4th time the shave itself was great today, was actually giving it a 9.8 then i thought to myself that it really couldn't get any closer or smoother so I've upped it to a 10/10, i did have one tiny nick below my nose after the first pass, but it was so tiny i didn't feel the need to knock a point off, as shave was so good, 1 pass wtg and a 2nd pass with a bit of xtg and atgView attachment 1217640pre shave...ice cube, soap...Barristers reserve waves and the brush...Vielong horse 50-50 main & tail🐴, finished off with some Clean Shaven balmπŸ‘πŸΌ
oops, got my horse brushes mixed up the vie-long ones are mix badger & horse, it's my Epsilon one that's 50/50 horse main & tail 😁😁😁
Β 
_20210215_073452.JPG
Omega barberpole razor today with Astra Platinum, fresh blade 1st use, shave ended up ok had about 3 nicks, must admit though i seemed to rush 2nd and 3rd pass, i wasn't quite sure what mark to give as i feel it wasn't my best shave, felt quite smooth afterwards so i think maybe 8/10,but i dont think it's a pairing i would use again as I've had better shaves pairing the Astra blade with other razors...also shaved my head while i was at it, don't normally use a blade on my head, must be 20 odd years since last time, i normally just use the Wahl clippers,took quite a while so i think I'll just be sticking to the Wahl clippers there😁
_20210215_073522.JPG
Phoenix ice cube to start, Goodfellas Smile Tallow soap and red DS Cosmetics silvertip brush(i love the scent of the Goodfellas Tallow soap)πŸ’™, till next time take care allπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
_20210217_225351.JPG
2nd use of the(2nd)Astra blade tonight with the orange DLC-Yaqi razor, a nice close shave worthy of an 8.5/10,had a couple of tiny nicks, 1 under nose and 1 on chin, i was getting to the conclusion that the best shaves were with the more expensive razors, but it's not always the case as tonight proved to me, so I'm happy enough to keep the Yaqi razor in my Astra platinum rotation, till next timeπŸ‘πŸΌ
_20210217_225320.JPG
pre shave...cube,Esteem Defiant soap, yaqi synthetic brush,Clean Shaven post shave balmπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
_20210220_041653.JPG
3rd use of the(2nd)Astra Platinum blade, this time with the King C Gillette razor, defo 9.8/10,lovely shave face actually feels wonderful, no nicks, great pairingπŸ‘πŸΌ
DSC_0163.JPG
pre shave... ice cube,brush...St James of London super badger, soap TOBS Sandalwood in wooden bowl, post shave...Clean Shaven balm, i would just like to say for anyone that hasn't tried the TOBS sandalwood soap(this was my first use) it has the most wonderful scent, probably one of the best scents in my rotation, if you prefer scented soap give this a try it's amazing, and works great tooπŸ‘πŸΌ... till next time take care allπŸ‘‹
Β 
_20210223_201401.JPG
4th use of (2nd)Astra platinum, this time with the white Yaqi and aggresive Beast head, shave very nice, got one little nick on my chin that i had to use styptic on, apart from that shave was very nice and smooth, 2 passes wtg & xtg and a 3rd little touch up under the chin, 9.7/10 enjoyableπŸ‘πŸΌ
_20210223_201040.JPG
preshave...phoenix ice cube,soap...Faena Taurus, brush...DS Cosmetics silvertip, post shave...Clean Shaven balm and just for a change used a little bit of an aftershave sample i got with one of my Agent Shave orders, i don't normally use scent unless I'm going somewhere, the Faena Taurus soap, very nice scent and a lovely creamy lather, is one that will be kept in my rotation and makes me want to try the other Faena scents too, try it it's good, till next time take care allπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
Last edited:
_20210228_024058.JPG
5th use of (2nd)Astra Platinum blade, this time with the Executive Shaving Outlaw razor, WOW what a great shave the Outlaw razor is up there with my Feather AS D2 for closeness(maybe even better)πŸ€”, great close shave, no nicks, around 9.9/10, my usual 2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd touch up on any parts i missed, face really smooth, and wonderful feeling with the PAA ice cube,until next time take care all and happy shavesπŸ‘πŸΌ
_20210228_030616.JPG
pre shave...Phoenix ice cube, cream...Castle Forbes Lavender, bowl... Suribachi by Steve Woodhead(via Etsy), brush...Kent BLK8 silvertip,balm...Clean Shaven
Β 
_20210305_041047.JPG
1st use(of 3rd)Astra Platinum blade, this time with the cheapish Haward razor, proved to myself one doesn't need to use the expensive razors to get a close shave, the shave was one of the closest shaves I've had for a while, bbs smooth, no nicks, i can't award anything other than a 10/10 for this shave, i went really slow this morning, slower than i normally do, i don't know if that assisted in making it a 10,but i usually go a little faster,2 passes wtg & xtg with a 3rd little touch up under chin and neck, so the Haward razor and Astra blade will defo be up there in my top pairingsπŸ‘πŸΌ
_20210305_041121.JPG
pre shave...Ice Cube, cream...Palmolive Classic, bowl...suribachi by Steve Woodhead Pottery, brush...Yaqi bunny cashmere, post shave...Clean Shaven balmπŸͺ’, till next shave, take care allπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
Last edited:
I am not sure if this razor and blade pairing qualifies and can be considered but after starting my shaving journey and collected a fair number of DE & SE razors vintage and modern, cheap and some expensive (by my standard), and more than 90 types of blades...I found myself enjoying the best pairing so far, for the last 3 shaves...

It was silky smooth, very comfortable, and most efficient among all...

The Yaqi AC razor paired with the Feather Proguard...just amazing and awesome!! As 1 member here mentioned to me, it's the design of the blade that makes it so soft and smooth...
Kinda scary because the blades are expensive... πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
20210304_222040.jpg
20210303_214428.jpg
Β 
I am not sure if this razor and blade pairing qualifies and can be considered but after starting my shaving journey and collected a fair number of DE & SE razors vintage and modern, cheap and some expensive (by my standard), and more than 90 types of blades...I found myself enjoying the best pairing so far, for the last 3 shaves...

It was silky smooth, very comfortable, and most efficient among all...

The Yaqi AC razor paired with the Feather Proguard...just amazing and awesome!! As 1 member here mentioned to me, it's the design of the blade that makes it so soft and smooth...
Kinda scary because the blades are expensive... πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
View attachment 1232029 View attachment 1232030
haven't seen the Feather proguard, never used a single edge blade, but the Feather name will be enough to prove it'll be a good bladeπŸ˜‰
Β 
_20210307_091555.JPG
2nd use of(3rd)Astra platinum blade, with the red Yaqi razor with scalloped head, 8/10,1 nick on my neck/chin area, neck doesn't feel the smoothest today, although rest of face feels bbsπŸ€”, didn't have a lot of growth to start with, so would like to give this pairing another chance with perhaps 4 or 5 days growth,usual wtg & xtg, with a 3rd touch up around the neck area😐
DSC_0164.JPG
pre shave...PAA Ice Cube, soap...Arran Lochranza, brush...blue Zenith silvertip, post shave...Clean Shaven balm, the Arran Lochranza gave an incredible amount of lather, probably enough for 5 shavesπŸ˜…and the scent is also amazing, if you haven't tried it, get yourself a puck you wont be disappointed, till next time happy shaves allπŸͺ’πŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
_20210313_151733.JPG
3rd use of(3rd)Astra blade with the Feather AS D2 razor, although a great shave and very close, it just doesn't feel as BBS as it does when using the AS D2 with the Feather blade, thats not to say it wasn't a good shave as it is very close, just i feel the Feather razor and blade are the perfect matchπŸ˜‰still give it 9.7/10
DSC_0166.JPG
pre shave...Ice Cube, brush...Muhle in "pure", cream...Percy Nobleman, bowl...Fox Rosalita(Latvia), post shave balm...Clean Shaven, first use of the Percy Nobleman cream and WOW, what a wonderful lather, now up there with my favourites, well until next time happy shaves everyoneπŸͺ’πŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
_20210317_112352.JPG
4th use of(3rd)Astra Platinum blade, today with black & chrome Yaqi razor, nice close shave, although at end noticed around 3 of the tiniest little nicks grouped together between my mouth and chin no blood thoughπŸ€”, still a 9.7/10 shave though, usual 2 passes wtg & xtg and a little touch up under chin
_20210317_112421.JPG
pre shave...ice cube, bowl...Zenith, soap...P&B Empress rising, brush...DS Cosmetics in "super", post shave...Clean Shaven balm, lovely lather from the Empress Rising soap, just swirled for about a minute then used the Zenith bowl and there was a lovely creamy lather enough for my 3 passes with a load left over, its defo on my "keeper" list, hopefully my "Timeless" razor will arrive soon so i can use it with the Astra blade without having to come back to it, once I'm onto next blade, till next time, happy shaves allπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
Last edited:
_20210326_222239.JPG
5th use of (3rd)Astra Platinum blade, this time with the red Yaqi razor, had a few days growth since last shave, as I've been trying to hang off a bit waiting for my new Timeless razor to arrive from Maggards, so i can use it with the Astra blade rather than coming back to it once I've moved on to the next blade, anyway 9.8/10 for this shave, had 2 of the tiniest little nicks, one below my nose and one on chin not far under bottom lip, apart from the two nicks it was still a wonderful shave though, even considering it's the 5th use of this Astra blade, bbs smoothπŸͺ’πŸ‘πŸΌ
_20210326_222206.JPG
pre shave...Ice cube, shaving cream... St James of London,Sandalwood & Bergamot, brush...Zenith in "pure", bowl...the new Captains Choice in large, finished of with the Clean Shaven balm, anyone one who reads my posts over the months will know St James of London is my favourite cream and the Sandalwood & Bergamot is no exception, fantastic scent, a little pea sized scoop into the bowl whipped up the most amazing lather enough for over three passes, I'll need to remember when using this a half a pea size will suffice, saves it getting washed away down drain,first use of the Captains bowl, WOW what an incredible bowl i thought before use as its not the tallest bowl that there may be some overspill, but incredibly there was no overspill at all, don't know if my cream was partly to do with this, I'll find out after another couple uses, but so far it seems to be my favourite bowl, till next time happy shaves and hopefully my Timeless razor will have arrived to use next shaveπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
_20210329_163501.JPG
6th use of (3rd)Astra Platinum blade, I'm sure the Astra Platinum defo gets better the more its used, 6th shave with this particular blade and what a great shave,defo around a 9.6/10(my Timeless razor has arrived in my country, so hopefully have it within a day or two) I'll maybe use this same Astra blade for a 7th and final time next shave with the Timeless when it arrives, before moving on to my next blade choiceπŸ‘πŸΌ
_20210329_163531.JPG
pre shave...Ice Cube, soap...Hotel Cecil, brush...DS Cosmetics Galaxy silvertip, bowl...the latest arrival from Ebay(pretty sure it's a Fox Rosalita bowl though), been wanting to use the Hotel Cecil soap from PAA for some time now, and i recently purchased it, well it certainly didn't disappoint, a lovely slick creamy texture, 3 passes easy(usual wtg, atg & a touch up wherever i thought needed it) with some washed out of bowl at end, all in all a very enjoyable shave, with the added excitement of using the Hotel Cecil soap(i know it's just a soap, but have been wanting to try it for some time nowπŸ˜‰) so till next time(with my TimelessπŸͺ’) happy shaves all and have a good and safe weekπŸ‘πŸΌ
Β 
View attachment 12435626th use of (3rd)Astra Platinum blade, I'm sure the Astra Platinum defo gets better the more its used, 6th shave with this particular blade and what a great shave,defo around a 9.6/10(my Timeless razor has arrived in my country, so hopefully have it within a day or two) I'll maybe use this same Astra blade for a 7th and final time next shave with the Timeless when it arrives, before moving on to my next blade choiceπŸ‘πŸΌView attachment 1243575pre shave...Ice Cube, soap...Hotel Cecil, brush...DS Cosmetics Galaxy silvertip, bowl...the latest arrival from Ebay(pretty sure it's a Fox Rosalita bowl though), been wanting to use the Hotel Cecil soap from PAA for some time now, and i recently purchased it, well it certainly didn't disappoint, a lovely slick creamy texture, 3 passes easy(usual wtg, atg & a touch up wherever i thought needed it) with some washed out of bowl at end, all in all a very enjoyable shave, with the added excitement of using the Hotel Cecil soap(i know it's just a soap, but have been wanting to try it for some time nowπŸ˜‰) so till next time(with my TimelessπŸͺ’) happy shaves all and have a good and safe weekπŸ‘πŸΌ
forgot to mention the black DLC - Yaqi razor and the Clean Shaven balm used in this shaveπŸ™„
Β 
Last edited:
_20210401_123847.JPG
7th & final use of the (3rd)Astra Platinum blade, this time with the new Timeless Razor, all i can say is WOWπŸŽ‰, i sometimes say on posts that you can get as good a shave with a cheap razor as you can with an expensive one, that perhaps is true, but the Timeless is defo on another level completely(a little heavier than any of my others too), think possibly BMW or Mercedes then moving on to a Ferrari or a Lambo, πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, my first shave today with the Timeless and even with 7th use of the Astra blade it's defo a 10/10,incredible shave, the Astra Platinum blade is up there with my best blades and one that will always be kept in my rotation, out of(what was it 17 shaves) only 2 shaves with the Astra weren't great, all in all a great blade and highly recommended, now just to decide what my next blade is...
_20210401_123913.JPG
pre shave...Ice Cube, soap...Faena Philosoap, brush...Kent Silvertip, bowl...Captains Choice in large cobalt, post shave...Clean Shaven balm, i know YMMV but the Faena soap is incredible stuff, a lovely slick creamy lather from just a few swirls of the brush, you should try it, the Captains bowl really is an incredible bowl for such a shallow bowl there is no spillage over the sides at all, even with deeper bowls there's a little overflow but for some reason not with the Captains(it must be in the design), well happy shaves everyone and keep your eyes peeled for the next blade in the rotation in a couple of daysπŸͺ’πŸ˜‰
Β 
Last edited:
Top Bottom