What's new

best blade & razor pairing 👍🏼

I'll use this thread to experiment each 3 days or so, which blades are best with each safety razor, i'll post shortly the 15 razors and the selection of blades that will be getting used in the experiment, the eventual choice may well take quite a while to get through all razors and blades, but we'll get there in the end, if anyone else wants to participate with any razors and blades that i don't have in my rotation, all participation will be welcomed👍🏼

these are the blades and razors that will be getting used👍🏼
DSC_0156.JPG
_20210108_152351.JPG
there is one more razor to add, but just noticed, i forgot to picture it👍🏼

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
With which razors will these blades be paired and tried? If the razors you have were already listed elsewhere, I apologize.

these are the blades and razors that will be getting used👍🏼View attachment 1205769View attachment 1205771there is one more razor to add, but just noticed, i forgot to picture it👍🏼
the first 3 in top row, all have similar heads, so perhaps I'll just include them as 1 razor, all other heads are different 👍🏼, top row, 1,2 & 3,Yaqi,4 Haward, middle row 1, 2 & 3 Yaqi(but all with different heads) 4 King C Gillette, 5 Barbarossa stubby, bottom row, 1 Omega barber pole, 2 Jag Shaving, 3 Muhle R89 Grande, 4 DS Destroyer, 5 Feather ASD2!

Last edited:
_20210111_131152.JPG
experiment started today, chose to start with green superior platinum Astra blade and Barbarossa brothers Ottoman chubby razor, so that will be my blade for next 15 shaves, shave was wonderful and close, not surprised with that though as the green Astra is one of my favourite blades 9.8/10,next shave will be around 2-3 days time with same blade but different choice of razor👍🏼

_20210120_150258.JPG
1st shave since Jan 11th,so a few days growth, 2nd use of the Astra(green blade) 2 passes and a 3rd touch up which was needed as there was a few little rough patches, wasn't my best shave, i could actually feel a bit of razor burn afterwards too, considering it was only the 2nd use of the Astra blade, i dont think the blade will be needing replaced already as most blades give me a few good shaves before replacement is needed, so i maybe think it was down to the Jag Shaving razor, so that's a pairing that defo won't be in my rotation.. had a nick on my chin too that i had to use the styptic on, and a few red marks on my neck, so perhaps 7.5/10,and an X for the pairing... cube preshave and Zingari the Watchman soap & DS silvertip brush used🪒

Last edited:
_20210125_170407.JPG
3rd use of the Astra Platinum blade, with the DS Cosmetics Destroyer razor & T7 head(Destroyer is the right name, couldnt get head apart to remove blade, and whatever way I've moved it I've sliced the top of my finger open on the blade) anyway, the shave itself is probably one of the best BBS shaves I've had, really close and smooth this is a very good pairing, and i think it will be a regular pairing in my rotation, i was going to use each blade for 3 shaves then swap for another of the same, which would mean a new Astra Platinum next shave, but today's shave was so good that i might use the same Astra for the next couple of shaves, overall really close 9.9/10...used with Simpson Duke 3 best badger brush and TOBS St James Collection cream👍🏼

What are the blades under the Perma Sharps and the ones above the Silver Blues?
the ones under the Perma Sharps are Haward they came with the Haward razor, the ones above the Silver Blues I'm unsure of, they came along with my Barbarossa brothers Ottoman Stubby, their original ad said it came with a pack of Feather blades but these are what turned up with it,but i doubt very much if they are Feathers, as there is no markings on the blades whatsoever, and what you see on the box is the only markings, so I'm really unsure what these are🤔

Top Bottom