What's new

Best blade for you to use with the Tatara Masamune?

I have been using a Feather razor blade that was supplied with the Masamune but I an not finding the razor very pleasant to use with it as it feels harsher than I am used to. I tend to think it is the feather blade that is causing this as I have not found the feather blades among my favourites with my old DE89 anyway. For masamune users, what blades have you used and found best for you with the masamune?

I have used Feathers and as usual, they did not work. I have tried all my favorites and have found the Nacet to be by far the best blade. It manages to give me as smooth a shave as the Gillette Yellow, but it is even more efficient. It ALSO happens to be the blade that best fits the base plate in terms of dimensions. I have since gone back and re-tried other, similar blades (Gillette Yellow and others), but I can't get any of them to work as well as the Nacet.

Thanks steffenapelz and Fedsbackhand I have a pack of nacet and dont have any Kai blades so that works out for me then!

By the way when I got my masamune it was not serial numbered and so I asked the company and they said that they no longer do this. Instead they etch onto the bottom of the back plate the word MASAMUNE for all their masamune razors.

I purchased a Tatara razor recently and it didn't have a serial number either. The base plates do have either Masamune or Nodachi etched into them though. What I can't figure out is how to tell a Masamune top cap from a Nodachi top cap.

Fwiw I went with a Nodachi top cap, all 4 base plates, and a Masamune handle. First shave with the Nodachi Closed Comb yesterday was very smooth. The Tatara razors really clamp down on the blade out near the cutting edge which I've found I prefer.

I used the Feather blade that came with the razor and it did a good job. I do plan to experiment with other blades though.

What I can't figure out is how to tell a Masamune top cap from a Nodachi top cap.

Nodachi cap is ever so slightly flatter.

Disappointing about the lack of serial numbers, I like the fact my SB and OC plates have the same number. I think they went up to 600 with the numbering and changed to the name only.

I wish that they had kept the serial number feature though- it would have made the razor a little more personalised.

What they should do with the caps is to etch a symbol on the underside of the cap to identify if it us a masamune or a nodachi cap.

I purchased a Tatara razor recently and it didn't have a serial number either. The base plates do have either Masamune or Nodachi etched into them though. What I can't figure out is how to tell a Masamune top cap from a Nodachi top cap.

Fwiw I went with a Nodachi top cap, all 4 base plates, and a Masamune handle. First shave with the Nodachi Closed Comb yesterday was very smooth. The Tatara razors really clamp down on the blade out near the cutting edge which I've found I prefer.

I used the Feather blade that came with the razor and it did a good job. I do plan to experiment with other blades though.

Disappointing about the lack of serial numbers, I like the fact my SB and OC plates have the same number. I think they went up to 600 with the numbering and changed to the name only.

Sounds like that makes a numbered Tatara a rare razor and a keeper.

According to Tatara they stopped their serial numbers at 699. I wonder when that occurred.

Anyone get a mini-handle with their Tatara?

Do you mean the Masamune handle, which is shorter than the Nodachi handle? That's what I did, Nodachi top cap with a Masamune handle. I prefer shorter handles and the Masamune is just about perfect in that regard.

Do you mean the Masamune handle, which is shorter than the Nodachi handle? That's what I did, Nodachi top cap with a Masamune handle. I prefer shorter handles and the Masamune is just about perfect in that regard.

Whichever the handle, isnt the finish of the handles remarkable? It seems to
almost glow witha pearlescent shine and the dots in the handle add a 3D texture to it.

Do you mean the Masamune handle, which is shorter than the Nodachi handle?

Actually they released an even shorter 75mm handle. Not sure how many were made and possibly this is a limited release. Yes, I much prefer the standard Masamune handle over the larger Nodachi one.

The finishing is great, handle and everywhere.

Whichever the handle, isnt the finish of the handles remarkable? It seems to
almost glow witha pearlescent shine and the dots in the handle add a 3D texture to it.

It's definitely a great looking razor and the finish is better than anything else at it's price point, imo. I think it looks better than matte razors and I also think it will be more durable over the long term than the polished ones. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention around here honestly, great razor.

The difference between the Masamune topcap and the Nodachi topcap can easily be spotted on the under side, the two bars that hold the blade is a little shorter on the Nodachi topcap and the threads on the Nodachi goes almost all the way down to the bottom of the post while the threads on the Masamune stops earlier and leaves the lower part of the post whiteout threads. That’s why you can use other handles with the Nodachi topcap and not With the Masamune topcap.(unless you make a custom spacer for the Masamune that fill the gap made by the unthreaded part of the post)

Last edited:
The difference between the Masamune topcap and the Nodachi topcap can easily be spotted on the under side, the two bars that hold the blade is a little shorter on the Nodachi topcap and the threads on the Nodachi goes almost all the way down to the bottom of the post while the threads on the Masamune stops earlier and leaves the lower part of the post whiteout threads. That’s why you can use other handles with the Nodachi topcap and not With the Masamune topcap.(unless you make a custom spacer for the Masamune that fill the gap made by the unthreaded part of the post)

Thanks for the great info. Can you tell from this photo which version I have? I think I might have been sent the wrong item. The threads definitely don't go all the way to the bottom but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

IMG_20200614_100305.jpg

Hi Wgg2017
That is the Nodachi topcap, on the Masamune the threads stop even earlier than yours. And the square post that align the blade is a little wider than yours.

Top Bottom