What's new

~ Best Blade For The Merkur 34C ~

For me, Astra SP and Perma-sharp have given me the best shaves. I'm still working on my technique though and I still have a sampler pack to go through

There is no one best blade for any razor.

Blade selection is a deeply subjective and personal thing. A blade that works wonders for one person will be absolute crap for another person. YMMV, so you will need to try a bunch of blades and find the one that works best for you in your razor of choice.

That being said, the Merkur 34c is my favorite razor, followed closely by the Merkur 510 long-handle Progress. For me Astra SP and Israeli Red Personna (also packaged as Personna Platinum Chrome) work well in either razor. These would probably be good blades to start with.

Definitely get yourself a blade sampler from one of the various online shave shops, or (perhaps a better idea) go to www.tryablade.com and order 1 or 2 (2 is preferable in case you get a dud) of several different blades. Give them all a try for a couple of shaves and you will find the blade, or blades, that perform best for you.

I've only been DE razor wet shaving for 5 - 6 weeks now. In my Merkur 34C, I've tried (in order) Derby, Crystal, Israeli Red Personna,, Astra SP, PolSilver, Voskhod, and Gillette Silver Blue. And .... I just bought my first ever 100 pack --- Israeli Red Personna ! For me, this blade is the perfect combination of sharpness and smoothness, with no irritation, nicks, or cuts. Voskhod and Crystal are also very nice, but a notch below the Red Personna.

Any that can fit can be good for you. That said, because the razor is not adjustable and mild I tend to pick smooth and avoid sharper. Astra, Gillette blues, Bolzano etc...and then put a feather and it can be pure joy too, so go figure, my own mind may vary!

There is no one best blade for any razor.

Blade selection is a deeply subjective and personal thing. A blade that works wonders for one person will be absolute crap for another person. YMMV, so you will need to try a bunch of blades and find the one that works best for you in your razor of choice.

+1000

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
34c is my go-to razor. Just about any blade is good in this razor. I also use it to try new blades.

Top Bottom