What's new

Best blade for RR Game Changer .84p plate?

I have been using my RR Game Changer .84 with the superknurled handle almost exclusively along with my Slim Adjustable. In terms of blade pairings, I would like to know what your experience is with he .84 and the blades you have used with it? What worked, what didn't? Just fyi, extremely sharp blades do not do well on my neck. I have medium/average facial hair density but very very coarse and stiff facial hair.

Blades I've used thus far with the .84 (ranked most to least favorite):

-GSB (1st shave is just a tad aggressive for my neck, left some minor irritation but smooth overall and very smooth on shaves 2-5)
-Polsilver (Similar to the GSB but a tad smoother and SLIGHTLY less efficient for me)
-Astra SP (Not as efficient as a the first two but still smooth, possibly the smoothest)
-Voskhod (just not a fan of these blades EXCEPT in my slim on 6. Just not sharp enough and dull very quickly for me, smooth for the 1st and 2nd shaves)
-Kai (Kai blades simply do not work for me in almost any razor, including the GC .84)

Blades that are in line to be tested:

-Gillette 7 oclock yellow
-Gillette 7 oclock green
-Feather

Let me know what you experience is with any of these blades and the GC .84 or other blades as well!

I use Kai in most of my razors and used it with the original .68 baseplate with terrific results.

In a surprising development for me, Kai was too harsh with the .84 as a daily. I even used Kai daily with my Timeless 95 OC. I think the Kai was too wide and thus the blade exposure was too much with the .84. The first shave was amazing but my skin couldn’t handle it daily.

My Gillette Yellows turned out to be a perfect match with the .84 for daily shaving.

I have used the Sharpedge blades a lot, but I have found Personna Israeli/crystal blades to be both very smooth and efficient in my .84.

Some of my favorites are Nacets, Personna Reds, and Treet Black Beauty (although, these are definitely 1 and done for me).

You might want to try a Rapira Platinum Lux. I use them in a 34c shimmed out to about .87" The RPL is very sharp, good on the first pass and one of the best for smoothness on 2nd and 3rd passes. The RPL also lasts 7-10 shaves for me. I can achieve BBS without ATG pass.
MM879

I’ve been using Gillette Nacet & Polsilver SI with great results. If I hade to choose 1 it would be the Nacets. They are just as smooth but more efficient.

I have only tried Astra SP's to date, not likely going to change from that anytime soon as they seem to work well. Maybe I'll try a Feather at some point.

I hated the Merkurs and Derby's in the sample pack I got for my shavette so mucj that I have no desire to try them in a DE razor. I recall the Feathers were quite sharp but not very forgiving in the shavette, I would expect the same most likely in my Game Changer with the .84 baseplate.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I been enjoying some great shaves with the Personna Reds and also 7oClock SP blacks.

I've had good results with .84 using Sputnik, Permasharp, and Bic Astor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely forgot I have a stash of Permasharps tucked away. Permasharps might be a great pairing for the GC. Will definitely add to the list!

I use Kai in most of my razors and used it with the original .68 baseplate with terrific results.

In a surprising development for me, Kai was too harsh with the .84 as a daily. I even used Kai daily with my Timeless 95 OC. I think the Kai was too wide and thus the blade exposure was too much with the .84. The first shave was amazing but my skin couldn’t handle it daily.

My Gillette Yellows turned out to be a perfect match with the .84 for daily shaving.
Just tried a Kai and I got a slightly closer shave than I get with the Polsilver or Nacet but not as smooth. Probably couldn’t shave every day with the .84/Kai combo either.

I've been using Israeli Personna and BIC Chrome Platinum blades. Both work very well, and I don't think I could reliably tell one from the other.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Feather has worked well for me , I also used a Vintage Gillette "Spoiler" that was the cats meow and
Med Prep was nice too.

I have been using my RR Game Changer .84 with the superknurled handle almost exclusively along with my Slim Adjustable. In terms of blade pairings, I would like to know what your experience is with he .84 and the blades you have used with it? What worked, what didn't? Just fyi, extremely sharp blades do not do well on my neck. I have medium/average facial hair density but very very coarse and stiff facial hair.

Blades I've used thus far with the .84 (ranked most to least favorite):

-GSB (1st shave is just a tad aggressive for my neck, left some minor irritation but smooth overall and very smooth on shaves 2-5)
-Polsilver (Similar to the GSB but a tad smoother and SLIGHTLY less efficient for me)
-Astra SP (Not as efficient as a the first two but still smooth, possibly the smoothest)
-Voskhod (just not a fan of these blades EXCEPT in my slim on 6. Just not sharp enough and dull very quickly for me, smooth for the 1st and 2nd shaves)
-Kai (Kai blades simply do not work for me in almost any razor, including the GC .84)

Blades that are in line to be tested:

-Gillette 7 oclock yellow
-Gillette 7 oclock green
-Feather

Let me know what you experience is with any of these blades and the GC .84 or other blades as well!

I have a new favorite blade with the .84 baseplate, Personna Lab Blue. Still BBS smooth after 8 hours and counting.

You might want to try a Rapira Platinum Lux. I use them in a 34c shimmed out to about .87" The RPL is very sharp, good on the first pass and one of the best for smoothness on 2nd and 3rd passes. The RPL also lasts 7-10 shaves for me. I can achieve BBS without ATG pass.
MM879

+1 on the Rapira Platinum Lux. I just shaved with my .84 plate for the first time and the Platinum Lux gave a great shave!

Top Bottom