What's new

Best blade for razor irritation

Opinions on best blades for easily irritated skin? Still trying to find the blade that gives me a rash free shave. I've tried feathers, astra, derby, personnas, merkur, gillette silver blue.

Any suggestions for something sharp and smooth?

I have very sensitive skin and prefer Personna Med Preps, although most blades have been very kind in my EJ89. I have found that sharper blades are better for my beard/skin to minimize additional passes....Personna Meds, Gillete SB, Gillette Blacks, Bolanzos, Polsilver SI. Feathers were wonderfully sharp yet irritating. I am currently going through a second round of sampling since my technique has improved, and found blades I hated in the beginning are now working for me. My first order of 100 were the Personna Meds for their lack of irritation.

I am a newbie, but find that shave prep, lather and post shave are more important than the blade. After a horrible bout with skin irritation followed by rash, I finally found the best routine for myself. Now I can work with most blades without irritation. So use the site as a great resource in getting an awesome process.

FWIW, here is my typical routine:
Shower
preShave: Noxema with a few drops of Avocado Oil (similar to Proraso pre/post)
soap: Proraso White Soap with Kiss my Face Unscented for a Superlather
shave: WTG, XTG, Gillette Slide, Buffing.....with preshave in between each pass. Only WTG on lower neck.
post: warm rinse, cold rinse, witch hazel, Proraso white pre/Post, all over moisturizer with sunscreen,
AS: Clubman Classic

Best of luck!!

Sometimes it's the blade/razor combinations that cause irritation. Toy around with different combos. I get irritation with a Personna Red in a Tech but loading it with a Feather makes it oh so smooth.

I too suffer from the nasty combination of having a barbed wire beard and sensitive skin. I need a sharp and forgiving blade and have settled on PermaSharp Supers, GSB and Polsilvers in rotation. Each has a slightly different feel but do not trash my face the way a Feathers would.

More important than the blade though is the simple practice of having only one blade pass in the sensitive areas. Forget about BBS on the problem spots.

And, while it is not my style to hawk products, the Anthony Logistics Ingrown Hair Treatment really works for terrible razor burn. I always believed that the problem was dry skin. I used every salve and balm and oil to no avail. It turns out that the inflammatory reaction is the problem, at least for me, and the glycolic acid and salicylic acid in this stuff really do the trick.

Good Luck

Opinions on best blades for easily irritated skin? Still trying to find the blade that gives me a rash free shave. I've tried feathers, astra, derby, personnas, merkur, gillette silver blue.

Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Personna Lab Blues
Shark Super Chrome
Polsilver Super Iridium
All are on the sharp side & generally thought of as also very smooth.
Honestly, if you try a sample with all those in & can't find one that works then the blades aren't at fault!

What razor & routine are you using?
Describe your usual shave...

Are you really sure the solution is the right blade?

I found the Merkur blade to be very easy on the skin. It doesn't feel sharp, of course, but it is nice to the skin.

I can't help but think you need to work on something else. First guess is you are applying pressure, making too many passes, or both. Another guess is product is irritating your skin and that gets exacerbated by the razor blade.

Astra SS, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7oclock Black give me the smoothest yet sharpest. I also just tried out a couple of Voshkod blades that I received in Toothpick's blade exchange that I would recommend for being sharp & smooth. I'd also perhaps recommend a more mild razor like a Tech.

Top Bottom