What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best blade for post war Gillette Tech?

Best blade for post war Gillette Tech?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I've great shave with my Gillette Ball End Tech and the blade I've used which are below, keep in mind YMMV

1. Feather
2. Gillette Nacet
3. New Gillette Minora Stainless which is the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white) pack
4. Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

The beauty of this razor is that it works with a huge range of blades, especially for daily shaves.

With my post war Ball End Tech I get great shaves with pretty much all modern Gillette DE blades but if I'd pick one, it'd be the Astra Superior Platinum.

But with blades it is always a issue of YMMV.
Not if you have barbwire for whiskers. The post war Techs are milder than the pre war. That is why I wrote Feather. In my case with the post war Techs the results with a Silver Blue are just so-so. I need something sharper. Most othrr choices offered in thd poll would be unusable for me in that razor. Besides Feather, I'd use a Gillette Stainless (only the Russian version), Iridium Super or Gillette 365.

Last edited:
Not if you have barbwire for whiskers. The post war Techs are milder than the pre war. That is why I wrote Feather. In my case with the post war Techs the results with a Silver Blue are just so-so. I need something sharper. Most othrr choices offered in thd poll would be unusable for me in that razor. Besides Feather, I'd use a Gillette Stainless (only the Russian version), Iridium Super or Gillette 365.
Oddly enough, my Pre War Fat Handle Tech is significantly milder than my Post War Ball End Tech (both made in England), but I get very good daily shaves with both using an Astra SP but my stubble aren't blade killers like other seem to have.

Have you had a chance to use the new Gillette Minora Stainless? There seem to be a few who are saying it is the same blade as the old red Gillette Stainless.

Other:

I have wire-like stubble too. Nacet and Permasharp blades are both wicked sharp IME, and really shine in milder razors. In a more aggressive razor, I love Silver Blues, which seem to lose all their mojo in a milder razor for some reason.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Oddly enough, my Pre War Fat Handle Tech is significantly milder than my Post War Ball End Tech (both made in England), but I get very good daily shaves with both using an Astra SP but my stubble aren't blade killers like other seem to have.

Have you had a chance to use the new Gillette Minora Stainless? There seem to be a few who are saying it is the same blade as the old red Gillette Stainless.
I am talking US pre-war, with the triangle slots. The postwar ball ends made in England and the US I have are terribly mild.

Yes I have the Minora Stainless. Bought 300 blades so far. Might even buy another 100. I have used only 2 blades, but it doesn't seem to me like the Gillette Stainless made in Russia. I'll have to use more blades to be conclusive, but the Gillette Stainless is a tiny bit sharper. I have been using them (the Russian verison) for at least 16 years, and I have never had another blade that shaves exactly the same.

No. I am referring to the Gillette Stainless. Discontinued 2-3 years ago. It was a product for the Eastern European countries only. Red and white packaging.
Thanks for confirming. This is the first I'm hearing of these. Blade makes/models and all their similar names can get too complicated. Thanks.

Barely over 1 day since I started this thread and I've realized how terrible my poll choices are. I'm not sure if its a good idea to combine the votes from the poll along with the blades mentioned in the posts, or interpret them separately. Here's the totals, ignoring the poll votes, and going only by the blades that have been mentioned in the posts:

Gillette Silver Blue7
Kai6
Feather6
Gillette Nacet4
Personna Lab/Med3
Astra Superior Platinum2
Gillette Minora Stainless1
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow1
Polsilver Super Iriduim1
Gillette 3651
Gillette Perma-Sharp Super1
Gillette Stainless1

Thank you for your votes and comments! I've tried the Tech + GBS and can achive a great shave very easily. If I go with GSB, Kai, and Feather, I'll have a nice variety of peer-recommended blades.

No. I am referring to the Gillette Stainless. Discontinued 2-3 years ago. It was a product for the Eastern European countries only. Red and white packaging.
The new Gillette Minora Stainless is the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white) pack.

Old version of the Gillette Stainless (red & white) made directly from Russia is no longer available anymore was original for the Middle East and African countries

New Gillette Minora Stainless made directly from Russia for the Middle East and African countries on the current market. The new version is slightly smoother than the old version above as they’re the same.

Last edited:
The new Gillette Minora Stainless is the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white) pack.

Old version of the Gillette Stainless (red & white) made directly from Russia is no longer available anymore was original for the Middle East and African countries

New Gillette Minora Stainless made directly from Russia for the Middle East and African countries on the current market.

Who told you the Gillette Stainless was for Middle East and Africa?
These blades were started back around 1990 for the emerging then markets in the Eastern European countires (except the former USSR countries). I have been using the red Stainless for 30 years. The first ones were French (the package was a bit of an orange tint), then Czech, Indian and finally Russian. You can see on the back of the 100 card the abbreviations for the languages of the countries: Montenegro, Bulgaria, Romania, Macedonia, Serbia. Bosnia, Albania. They were sold in Poland too.

B
Who told you the Gillette Stainless was for Middle East and Africa?
These blades were started back around 1990 for the emerging then markets in the Eastern European countires (except the former USSR countries). I have been using the red Stainless for 30 years. The first ones were French (the package was a bit of an orange tint), then Czech, Indian and finally Russian. You can see on the back of the 100 card the abbreviations for the languages of the countries: Montenegro, Bulgaria, Romania, Macedonia, Serbia. Bosnia, Albania. They were sold in Poland too.
Because I bought the last whole bash lifetime supply of Gillette Stainless (red and white) directly from Israel roughly three years ago, when I email the last whole sale supplier directly in Israel is where I got the information from them.

So I’m glad I got them ALL long before the new Minora Stainless came into the market.

B

Because I bought the last whole bash lifetime supply of Gillette Stainless (red and white) directly from Israel roughly three years ago, when I email the last whole sale supplier directly in Israel is where I got the information from them.

So I’m glad I got them ALL long before the new Minora Stainless came into the market.
Thats quite an impressive collection. About 2,000 blades? If that is a lifetime supply then I guess I shouldn't be so worried about thinning out my collection of various blades. I thought I had too many at approx 400.

Top Bottom