What's new

Best blade for mild Razor

Hi. I have a Feather ASD2. I love it. However, I find that I don't like the first shave with a Feather blade. Yeah the third is perfect and 4 5, 6, but I still get some break outs on the first.

My skin is just very very sensitive. I hate stubble as my skin is very sensitive so I want to shave every day.

I have used voskhod with I liked in the non Feather but I didn't like as much in the Feather. And the Feather blade.

I also have used gillete silver blue and loved it in the sample, but didn't like the 100 pack. I assume I got some bad batch.

I would honestly like to find a blade I can use once or twice then throw away.

Any advice?

Hi. I have a Feather ASD2. I love it. However, I find that I don't like the first shave with a Feather blade. Yeah the third is perfect and 4 5, 6, but I still get some break outs on the first.

My skin is just very very sensitive. I hate stubble as my skin is very sensitive so I want to shave every day.

I have used voskhod with I liked in the non Feather but I didn't like as much in the Feather. And the Feather blade.

I also have used gillete silver blue and loved it in the sample, but didn't like the 100 pack. I assume I got some bad batch.

I would honestly like to find a blade I can use once or twice then throw away.

Any advice?
You might like the Gillette Nacet. Very sharp, very popular blade.

You might try "corking" the Feather blade before first use to mellow out the roughness. Run the new blade edge through the top corner of a wine bottle cork once and only once. I have not corked, but you can see video by searching blade corking on YouTube.

I have been noticing that in sharp recommendations. Not as sharp as feather but very sharp is what I gather. That might be the solution.
It can be tedious finding just the right blade and, unfortunately, the only way to find your preferred blade is by experimenting.

Since it sounds like you have some blades you wouldn't mind parting with, you might want to consider trading some of them in via the The Great Blade Exchange here on B&B. In short, you send in two blades you're not happy with in exchange for two blades you'd like to try... All for the price of a couple postage stamps.

It can be tedious finding just the right blade and, unfortunately, the only way to find your preferred blade is by experimenting.

Since it sounds like you have some blades you wouldn't mind parting with, you might want to consider trading some of them in via the The Great Blade Exchange here on B&B. In short, you send in two blades you're not happy with in exchange for two blades you'd like to try... All for the price of a couple postage stamps.
I already gave all my extra to a new person in thanks to a person gave me a cool new razor to try.

I am so about the swap aspect of the hobby.

You really need blades on the sharper end of the spectrum with the AS-D2. Nacet would for sure be worth trying. They have also been very reasonably priced in bulk 100-pack recently compared with Feather.

I'd consider BIC Chrome, but not everyone likes those.

Personna Med Prep blades definitely qualify. Just watch out since Personna blades can be confusing to buy. You want the "Med Prep" or "Lab Blue" blades made in the USA at the Verona, Virginia plant. They come in boxes of 100.

See this post for some photos:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I only have a small sampling of blades over the years and I used the Gillette Astra SP as my standard for comparing other blades and this should get you in the ball park. Gillette & Personna have been making razor blades for over 100 yrs and know how to make a Sharp & smooth blade. I like the blades that are just crossing form Sharp & smooth over to sharpest for my shaving needs.(click to enlarge photo chart)
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

You really need blades on the sharper end of the spectrum with the AS-D2. Nacet would for sure be worth trying. They have also been very reasonably priced in bulk 100-pack recently compared with Feather.

I'd consider BIC Chrome, but not everyone likes those.

Personna Med Prep blades definitely qualify. Just watch out since Personna blades can be confusing to buy. You want the "Med Prep" or "Lab Blue" blades made in the USA at the Verona, Virginia plant. They come in boxes of 100.

See this post for some photos:

Thanks so much

I've already suggested Wizamet IS and Polsilver SI are the same. Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium are discontinued, but, I recently picked up 100 at tryablade's sister site. They are very similar to the Wizamet/Polsilver blades. Permasharp is another sharp and smooth blade. Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow are also very sharp. I have had good results with tryablade.com building my own sample pack. I would recommend it or a site like it where you can pick individual blades rather than a grab bag with a bunch of subpar ones mixed in with a few good ones.

I only have a small sampling of blades over the years and I used the Gillette Astra SP as my standard for comparing other blades and this should get you in the ball park. Gillette & Personna have been making razor blades for over 100 yrs and know how to make a Sharp & smooth blade. I like the blades that are just crossing form Sharp & smooth over to sharpest for my shaving needs.(click to enlarge photo chart)
Na View attachment 1359550
Have some great shaves!
I keep hearing peronna blades. I didn't actually try those. Idk why.

Ron R

I keep hearing peronna blades. I didn't actually try those. Idk why.
Personna makes all kinds of shaving blades from SE,DE & cartridge razors. Personna had a battle with Gillette in the 1970's and the CEO of Personna almost broke Gillette by making a blade with tungsten carbide dust added to their steel formula and the blades lasted to long(Personna 72). So both companies stopped making those high end blades because it was bad for the blade business.
I like Personna blades and use the SE Gem Personna PTFE blade a lot & DE Personna Reds and they are the best SE blade for longevity and with great sharpness. There are also the Personna lab blades that are of high quality and hard to find by that name anymore. Personna use their own Proprietary steel that is better than a lot of these other brand names that just don't last as long as Personna IMO. Good luck finding blades because there are over hundred different ones it seems from all over the world now with different coatings, thickness to different grinds and will have their followers that can be confusing IMO.

Personna makes all kinds of shaving blades from SE,DE & cartridge razors. Personna had a battle with Gillette in the 1970's and the CEO of Personna almost broke Gillette by making a blade with tungsten carbide dust added to their steel formula and the blades lasted to long(Personna 72). So both companies stopped making those high end blades because it was bad for the blade business.
I like Personna blades and use the SE Gem Personna PTFE blade a lot & DE Personna Reds and they are the best SE blade for longevity and with great sharpness. There are also the Personna lab blades that are of high quality and hard to find by that name anymore. Personna use their own Proprietary steel that is better than a lot of these other brand names that just don't last as long as Personna IMO. Good luck finding blades because there are over hundred different ones it seems from all over the world now with different coatings, thickness to different grinds and will have their followers that can be confusing IMO.
Lasting a long time is the least priority I have. I kinda like the one and done diea of DE razors vs cartridge

Ron R

Lasting a long time is the least priority I have. I kinda like the one and done diea of DE razors vs cartridge
You should at least use your blade 2-3 times because that is the best a blade usually will perform for sharpness & smoothness.
1st pass is usually a little rough because of the coatings that were applied at the factory and by 2nd shave it has smoothed out a little for a nice shave that most folks really want that the most in any blade.

You should at least use your blade 2-3 times because that is the best a blade usually will perform for sharpness & smoothness.
1st pass is usually a little rough because of the coatings that were applied at the factory and by 2nd shave it has smoothed out a little for a nice shave that most folks really want that the most in any blade.
I agree honestly, but I hate the first shave of a Feather blade. I love after, but don't like 1. That doesn't seen right. I wouldn't rather have perfect 1st then throw away

In that case, Lord family of brands is your new friend. And Treet Platinum. And especially Chinese Wilkinson Swords if you are ordering from Razorbladesclub who have them. All 9-12 cents each. In fact, if you haven't, check out @Kennyg2019 thread on mildest razor blades or something like that.

In that case, Lord family of brands is your new friend. And Treet Platinum. And especially Chinese Wilkinson Swords if you are ordering from Razorbladesclub who have them. All 9-12 cents each. In fact, if you haven't, check out @Kennyg2019 thread on mildest razor blades or something like that.
I haven't checked. Also those weren't in my first sample pack. Omg this will be fun with the new site that i.csn order blades from

Just make sure you grab at least 5 or 10 of each, it says in the description how many per pack. That way you get a sealed tuck. If you are going to use them up quickly, you might want to get 3 packs each. I keep the opened tucks of the ones I didn't like because your technique will improve over time and it is fun to go back and revisit things. Some people just throw things out right away, it might have just been a bad blade.

Just make sure you grab at least 5 or 10 of each, it says in the description how many per pack. That way you get a sealed tuck. If you are going to use them up quickly, you might want to get 3 packs each. I keep the opened tucks of the ones I didn't like because your technique will improve over time and it is fun to go back and revisit things. Some people just throw things out right away, it might have just been a bad blade.
When I will sample it will be one and done. I interested in first shave only

Top Bottom