What's new

Best Blade for Beginner?

Don't buy 100 packs of any blades just yet. Better to get a sampler and try a variety of different ones. I'd start with something middle-of-the-road, for instance, Personna Platinum or Wilkinson Sword (Germany). You'll find a few favorites as you develop your shaving technique.

I am new to safety razors and have been researching for quite some time. What do you guys think would be the best DE blade for me? Thanks!
Hard to tell which ones will be the best for you but these are my favorite blades and the ones I use almost exclusively:

Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette 7O'Clock SuperStainless
Gillette Platinum

As others mentioned here, technique is paramount.
Welcome to B&B. It would help if you could visit Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In and introduce yourself.

Mmmmm.... Kinda sound like a politician here Pick.... I'm not hampered by the problem of being a politician, since I don't have to run for office in Arkoland.

In my opinion, humble as can be, if I were you @quantan physics, I would buy a few 5 packs of blades, try ONE of each, then send as many as you don't like to the Great Blade Exchanger himself, @dmshaver for some even up trades. He actually ENJOYs doing this service here on Badger and Blade.
Because he brought up the great blade exchange, there is generally a monthly sampler blade PIF (pay it forward) for beginner, december is over but there is always January.

I wish it was that simple but blade soap razor will be a you issue , we can give you opinion and suggestion but at the end of the day none will matter as much as you trying. I can't use sharp blade and agressive razor, others enjoy it tremendously but without trying I would have never figure out it does not work for me.

On thing I believe will help you progress is to keep a journal, take a moment to reflect and write about your shave think about your mistake, it might not be the razor, the blade but your angle or how dry your skin is today and do not be afraid to revisit a combination in a few month week.

and because you ask and I have opinion too : Gillette Silver blue aka GSB, Voshkod, astra green

Don't buy 100 packs of any blades just yet. Better to get a sampler and try a variety of different ones. I'd start with something middle-of-the-road, for instance, Personna Platinum or Wilkinson Sword (Germany). You'll find a few favorites as you develop your shaving technique.
I made that mistake and am now stuck with a bunch of Derby Extras that I’ll never use. 👍🏼

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hard to tell which ones will be the best for you but these are my favorite blades and the ones I use almost exclusively:

Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette 7O'Clock SuperStainless
Gillette Platinum

As others mentioned here, technique is paramount.
Welcome to B&B. It would help if you could visit Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In and introduce yourself.
Thanks for doing the "linky thing" my friend. @Toothpick has gotten tired of teaching me that trick. Something like 20 times? @haggis even tried. But he's smarter than ol' Pick. HE only wasted his time once!

Don’t assume that the most popular blades will be best for you. I don’t love GSBs or Astras. I do, however, like Tatras, Sharks, Gillette 7 o’Clock greens, and Permasharps among others.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Don’t assume that the most popular blades will be best for you. I don’t love GSBs or Astras. I do, however, like Tatras, Sharks, Gillette 7 o’Clock greens, and Permasharps among others.
Yes. There ain't NO accounting for taste when it comes to blades.

Shoot, I here tell there are people who love Dorco blades that AREN'T called Prime!

I jumped right in at the start and bought 100 Astra SP blades. No regrets, and now have 700, along with an assortment of other 100 packs: Gillette SB, Gillette Platinum, Bic Platinum, Astra SS.

To the OP: I don't detect much difference between most of the name-brand, commonly recommended blades and personally find that most perform similarly with few exceptions. You can get a sampler and see if you land on a preferred blade, but as has been stated already:

Technique is king.

Top Bottom