What's new

Best Blade for Beginner?

I am new to safety razors and have been researching for quite some time. What do you guys think would be the best DE blade for me? Thanks!

It doesn’t really matter all that much as you start learning how to shave. Your technique is more important than blade choice at this point and you’ll want to reduce variables while you gain skills. Pick a common blade (Astra, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, 5 o’clocks, etc) and just stick with it until your technique is perfected. Then start experimenting with blades as much as you want.

I suggest Astra greens. The Astra blue are good, too. In fact I gave my daughter Astra blues and a Lady Gillette starbust razor to get here started. She's now totally into it, buying different soaps and stuff.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B @quantan ! As you peruse the forums you'll see we all have different preferences where blades are concerned. (As well as where everything else is concerned for that matter) You'll be able to fine tune and pontificate soon enough. For the time being grab a tuck or three of something you've read about and go for it. Technique trumps all, especially when you're starting out. Cheers!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Astra SS, GSB, Gillette Platinum.... All kind to my incredibly handsome face!
Mosey over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself my friend, and welcome to Badger and Blade!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It doesn’t matter what we think. Although I’m sure we all appreciate you asking our opinions. Get yourself a blade sampler and just try some. Focus on your technique. If the blade feels like it’s pulling your skin out bin it and try a new one. Blade choice is highly subjective and no one can say “ABC Blade will be the best for you”.

Astra SP
Derby
Gillette 7 O’clock
Feather
Any Personna

Those are all good blades in my opinion.

Pick one, load up, and shave.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Depends where you are on your learning curve.

When I started out I was sold a tuck of Merkur blades. They were touted as "Just sharp enough to cut a few hairs, but not cut you while you're learning." Which, in my opinion, they were exactly that. But it helped develop the beginning of technique and I was on to other things pretty quickly.

I sampled a few blades and landed on Astra SP -- also known as "Astra Greens" -- and I've been using them for years. Not as sharp as a Feather on use #1, much sharper than a Feather on uses #2-#6. For me.

Some years on and I'm exploring a few different blades but still like my Astra SPs. I have about 300 of them ahead, so at 26/year that may be a lifetime supply for me.

O.H.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It doesn’t matter what we think. Although I’m sure we all appreciate you asking our opinions. Get yourself a blade sampler and just try some. Focus on your technique. If the blade feels like it’s pulling your skin out bin it and try a new one. Blade choice is highly subjective and no one can say “ABC Blade will be the best for you”.

Astra SP
Derby
Gillette 7 O’clock
Feather
Any Personna

Those are all good blades in my opinion.

Pick one, load up, and shave.
Mmmmm.... Kinda sound like a politician here Pick.... I'm not hampered by the problem of being a politician, since I don't have to run for office in Arkoland.

In my opinion, humble as can be, if I were you @quantan physics, I would buy a few 5 packs of blades, try ONE of each, then send as many as you don't like to the Great Blade Exchanger himself, @dmshaver for some even up trades. He actually ENJOYs doing this service here on Badger and Blade.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
In my opinion, humble as can be, if I were you @quantan physics, I would buy a few 5 packs of blades, try ONE of each, then send as many as you don't like to the Great Blade Exchanger himself, @dmshaver for some even up trades. He actually ENJOYs doing this service here on Badger and Blade.

If these old Israeli Reds don't fluff up my kilt, that's exactly what'll happen! If they do, that's another worry...

I've got some old tucks kicking around from blades I picked up before I discovered Astra SPs. I should send them along to be a resource for others. Which is a nice way of saying I can get some of the damn clutter out of the Lather Pit and have room for another razor (but I don't know what that would be at this point).

O.H.

Top Bottom