What's new

Best blade for a GEM Micromatic

I was just checking Amazon and I see there are a couple of types of GEM blades for a Micromatic. What kind would you recommend? GEM Super stainless, and Personna GEM stainless SE blades, GEM Blue Star, and I see there is a Treet SE blade that looks like they would fit a Micromatic.

Last edited:
I would definitely get stainless over carbon steel. Ideally you should get the PTFE coated ones. Also Injector blades can be used.

Yeah, if you put it against the blade stops and clamp it down it will hold. Twin blades work too.

They only work in the Micromatic Gem razors far as I know and the only reason from trying it myself was the doors have stops halfway back that keep the injector blade from wanting to shift around.

I was just checking Amazon and I see there are a couple of types of GEM blades for a Micromatic. What kind would you recommend? GEM Super stainless, and Personna GEM stainless SE blades, GEM Blue Star, and I see there is a Treet SE blade that looks like they would fit a Micromatic.

Taking manufacturers out of the picture for a moment you have 4 major types of Gem blades.

1. Carbon steel
2. Blue carbon steel
3. Uncoated stainless steel
4. Ptfe coated stainless steel

You can also use Feather FHS-10 stainless or FAS-10 carbon steel blades. They will work in all Gem razors without modification except for the Micromatic razors though you may want to tape or use a rubberband around where the spine is supposed to be to give the blade a little lift.

You can use the injector blades for Schick injectors in the Micromatic razors.

Best way to figure out which type of blade you would like to use is to buy some singles of the 4 Gem types from tryablade.com or similar vendor that offers the same and then buy a bulk pack of whatever one you like best.

They only work in the Micromatic Gem razors far as I know and the only reason from trying it myself was the doors have stops halfway back that keep the injector blade from wanting to shift around.
I don't think the stops on the top cap actually hit the injector blade, but the clamping pressure is enough. Ive also heard some have ha luck using them in 1914s an 1912s, but mine don't seem to hold them well enough.

I don't think the stops on the top cap actually hit the injector blade, but the clamping pressure is enough. Ive also heard some have ha luck using them in 1914s an 1912s, but mine don't seem to hold them well enough.

They don't, they backstop the blade. The only major issue I found is the center nub on the base plate that normally sits in the cutout of a gem blade lifts the injector blade and shaving it at that angle can be pretty harsh depending which Micromatic you are using. One workaround is to nibble off a section in the center of the injector blade on the back side so the blade sits flat on base plate.

I haven't tried an injector blade in the earlier Gems but I did try one in a Contour and it didn't hold. Maybe using a shim to clamp it more securely might work.

Frankly I found it more trouble than it was worth and didn't improve the shaves using an injector blade. With that said I would encourage anyone to try it for themselves to form their own opinion through firsthand experience.

Just tried a injector blade in my "clog proof" last night. Gave me an outstanding smooth shave. I'm going to keep using it to see if I get more shaves than from a standard GEM blade.

Maybe it's just me but I find the regular stainless steel blades smoother than the PTFE coated ones.
I strop them on my hand and they are good to go.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Is this your first SE? If yes, then I would start with a GEM SS PTFE. If you're looking for a blade relatively fast, and you feel like trying some different types, then TryABlade would likely be the best place to start. Of all of the blades he carries, I only really like the GEM SS PTFE. If you're just looking at experimenting and jumping into the BOSC-side of SE's then by all means, take the advice above and have some fun. As for me, I like the GEM SS PTFE -- the first shave or two can feel a little harsh, but I ultimately get 10 shaves out of the blade (some folks get more), and the while the first shave or so is not my favorite, the remainders are great.

If I want a smooth blade right from the get-go, then the Treet Carbon blades (I get mine from Amazon -- although I think they come from a place called PharmaPak). I only get 5 shaves from them, but they are all very smooth. The downside for most people on carbon is that you have to dry them thoroughly after using or they will rust....quickly. Even drying mine, they still take some oxidation on the main part of the blade, although the edge doesn't appear to be affected.

I have several GEMS in my collection but I have never shaved with them. I thought it was about time I tried. Thanks for the advice. I will keep this in mind. I have a 10 pack of GEM Personna SE blades. I will start with those and go from there.

Flintstone65

Carbon blades dont work for me, even after I worked one on my whetstone.

First SE Shave.

The only blades I use are GEM PTFE from Connaught. They're sharp and I get 10 shaves per blade.

GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades
+1 on the Connaught reference....these are the GEM SS PTFE blades I mentioned above....this also the most inexpensive source, despite the store being in the UK and me in the US. So the only downside is delivery time -- they take a couple of weeks (at least) to get to me.

And here is another thread covering some of the same ground.....GEM SS uncoated compared to PTFE coated

Flintstone65

I have several GEMS in my collection but I have never shaved with them. I thought it was about time I tried. Thanks for the advice. I will keep this in mind.
Sir, and I cannot stress this enough, I heavily suspect you're going to LOVE the way these razors shave. I also recommend checking out this thread Micromatic Monday There are a group of us who regularly shave with a Micromatic (or a GEM as it also known as GEMonday) on Mondays and share our experiences. We always have a nice mix of first-timers and full-time-fans, lots of sharing and learning.

Sir, and I cannot stress this enough, I heavily suspect you're going to LOVE the way these razors shave. I also recommend checking out this thread Micromatic Monday There are a group of us who regularly shave with a Micromatic (or a GEM as it also known as GEMonday) on Mondays and share our experiences. We always have a nice mix of first-timers and full-time-fans, lots of sharing and learning.
That's great and thanks for the invitation. I will check in to the thread and see how everyone is doing with their GEMS.

I got a 100 pack of the Gem PTFE stainless on amazon for $23 shipped. They are incredible.

The listing is strange. They are not easy to find. search for:
"Single Edge PTFE Coated"

Looking back, I think Connaught would have been cheaper.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
+1 on the Connaught reference....these are the GEM SS PTFE blades I mentioned above....this also the most inexpensive source, despite the store being in the UK and me in the US. So the only downside is delivery time -- they take a couple of weeks (at least) to get to me.

And here is another thread covering some of the same ground.....GEM SS uncoated compared to PTFE coated

Yep, hard to beat Connaught. They have a low cost international shipping option too. Orders take 15-20 days to get to me in Canada.

I like the GEM SS PTFE -- the first shave or two can feel a little harsh

Which razor do you start a fresh blade in? I use a Bullet Tip for the first 4 shaves, then move it to my MMOC for the next 6.

The Bullet Tip with a fresh PTFE gives me an incredibly smooth and comfortable shave, although not as close as the MMOC. The MMOC with a fresh blade can be a bit too much sometimes but the PTFE blades mellow out a lot for me by shave 4. Shaves 4 -10 are spectacular in the MMOC.

"Just tried a injector blade in my "clog proof" last night. Gave me an outstanding smooth shave. I'm going to keep using it to see if I get more shaves than from a standard GEM blade."

I got 15 decent shaves from the injector blade, which is about twice as many as I get from a GEM blade.

Another vote for the GEM PTFE and for Connaught. Going the All Single Edge Razor Blades - TryABlade.com route first, as others have suggested, is prudent.

Two things to keep in mind along the way: First, not all GEM format Personna blades are PTFE. In particular, there are prime offerings on Amazon, even stainless ones, that do not appear to be PTFE (here). Second, if you eventually buy in bulk, the 100 packs should say "62-0178" on them.

Top Bottom