What's new

Best blade for a GEM Micromatic

I find the carbon steel blades smoother in my MMOC, but I like the convenience of the PTFE coated stainless blades. Unless I remove the carbon blade and dry it after each shave, I have to deal with rust stains on the razor.

I actually just received 5 sets of blades from Tryablade this past Friday. Was only expecting the 15 blades (5ea of PTFE, CS, and SS) but was surprised there were 5 Blue Steel blades included as well

Those blue steel blades make great paint scrapers....LOL!!

Those blue steel blades make great paint scrapers....LOL!!

Eh, I'll reserve reservation for after I try them. I've been using my first PTFE blade for the last week, not in a micromatic but a 1912, and have been getting a pretty good shave with them.

Eh, I'll reserve reservation for after I try them. I've been using my first PTFE blade for the last week, not in a micromatic but a 1912, and have been getting a pretty good shave with them.

When I first started using GEM razors I got a sample pack from Try-A-Blade which included those blue blades. One stroke is all it took. For me, the PTFE GEM blades are the Cat's Meow.

@Twelvefret I don't mind the PTFE blades, but I don't think I'm a huge fan of them in my MMOC. They shave smooth in my 1912 but when I put them in my MMOC they just seem so much harsher on my face. Not sure if it's the longer handle messing up my technique or something else, but they just don't give me a comfortable shave. Now, the Carbon steel off brand blades I used first in my MMOC gave me a smooth, clean shave. I have a Gem Junior lather catcher coming my way so we will see what blade works well for me in that too.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I actually just received 5 sets of blades from Tryablade this past Friday. Was only expecting the 15 blades (5ea of PTFE, CS, and SS) but was surprised there were 5 Blue Steel blades included as well
I did the same, and it's either an extreme case of YMMV or maybe I got some bad blades, but I'd really like to hear your take on them. For me, the PTFE's were the best and the PAL blue blades worked fine, the plain CS and SS were what I could only imagine a carpet cutting blade from the hardware store must be like (yep, they were that bad). Later someone gave me some Treet Carbon blades and those were fine -- just short lived relative to the PTFE's. That was my experience, but looking forward to hearing about yours.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEM Personna SS PTFE blade = #1 in my limited experience!
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Can anyone tell me if these Personas GEM Personna Stainless Steel Single Edge Razor Blades, 10-pak

are ptfe coated or not? They say they're "coated" on the site but not by what. Nothing is on the box and it's a different package to the regular coated ptfe blades.

The packaging does not mention coated, so I would assume it is not coated. I get good shaves with that type that I purchased through other channels, but I get good shaves with most blades.

Ron R

Can anyone tell me if these Personas GEM Personna Stainless Steel Single Edge Razor Blades, 10-pak

are ptfe coated or not? They say they're "coated" on the site but not by what. Nothing is on the box and it's a different package to the regular coated ptfe blades.
You might want to phone them, they have a 1800 # at the bottom of the page you put up.
The teflon coated blades help a lot in initial start of use of blade to help the blade glide and shear whiskers easier.

By the way, anyone can tell me if the Gem blades need to be inserted specific side up?

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
By the way, anyone can tell me if the Gem blades need to be inserted specific side up?

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
Either side is fine....I tend to use GEM SS PTFE and the spine is stamped with "GEM" on one side and "009" on the other. I'm not obsessive about it, but I tend to start with the "GEM" up and then flip to the "009". You don't have to flip them, it's just something I do when I think about it. Hope that helps.

I have a vintage EVERREADY. How do these compare to the GEM. They appear to have the same design.

Attachments

• 33D6E1B2-E62E-46EE-80D7-E25DB8EE083F.jpeg
    33D6E1B2-E62E-46EE-80D7-E25DB8EE083F.jpeg
    901.9 KB · Views: 5
  • CC67B73E-59BD-40B5-B7DA-690DB94DAE2B.jpeg
    CC67B73E-59BD-40B5-B7DA-690DB94DAE2B.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 5

Ron R

I have a vintage EVERREADY. How do these compare to the GEM. They appear to have the same design.
They are very similar to the Gem 1912, sometimes it could be the handle that is different, I find Everready are ever so slightly more aggressive to me but others might not notice. I have 4 different models of Ever-ready razors and they all work well IMO. Gem & Ever-Ready are both controlled by American Safety razor corporation when they where Mfg these similar razors!

Last edited:
Top Bottom