What's new

Best blade and setting for Slim Adjustable.

Hi all. I recently received a Gillette Slim adjustable and was curious what blade and settings have worked best for people with this razor. Yes I know it all depends on individual preferences but would like to hear others results. Thanks

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like an Indian Wilkinson Sword and the Slim set on 3. This gives me really great shaves. A few times I have used the Slim set on 4, which gave me a really close shave but it was not irritation free.

I was thinking of using a Chinese Gillette Wilkinson sword on setting 9 for the first pass then 3 for the 2nd and 1 for the last. I have 4 days worth of growth

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Many members here love the Slims on the higher settings. Some start out high and then dial it back for each pass. Some do the opposite, they start on the lower settings and work their way upwards. Try a few different ways and see what works for you. Have some fun with it. Let us know how you get on.

Many members here love the Slims on the higher settings. Some start out high and then dial it back for each pass. Some do the opposite, they start on the lower settings and work their way upwards. Try a few different ways and see what works for you. Have some fun with it. Let us know how you get on.
Will do cheers

I was thinking of using a Chinese Gillette Wilkinson sword on setting 9 for the first pass then 3 for the 2nd and 1 for the last. I have 4 days worth of growth

Welcome to B&B, Sir Shaver!

You've selected a classic and much-sought-after razor in the Slim!
FWIW, I'd suggest starting out on a medium setting!
But, experiment and see for yourself!

The Slim is an excellent razor!

I like settings around 5-7 depending on the blade. My favorite blades are GSB and Astra SP in the Slim.

I use 7 for everything. Lower settings leave stubble for me.

I suggest using a blade you have used in the past and a setting of 5 to start since that's very similar to the gap and exposure of a Tech. Adjust from there, you will be able to feel how the adjustments work for you very quickly.

The Slim is a very nice razor.

Being a relative newbie, I found the "beard reduction" method works best for me
I put a Gillette Silver Blue in, set it on 3, for first pass, the new go to 4 for a 2 pass shave
( Don't push a good thing!)

A Slim? You have a Slim now!?

I just posted a response to you about currently made Tech clones and you're busting out with this Slim business?

You've got it bad, man. And you're probably creating havoc with the Thai postal service.

I just posted a response to you about currently made Tech clones and you're busting out with this Slim business?

You've got it bad, man. And you're probably creating havoc with the Thai postal service.
Haha I purchased a whole bunch of items at once from different sellers and they have been coming at all different stages so I've been slowly trying things one after the other

LOL! I know what Shaver Nath is going through. I got bit by the razor bug too. I started DE shaving in June and I already have about a dozen razors. I haven't even used them all yet. I'm also developing a problem with soaps too.

But back to the Slim - I've only used it twice but have had success with a Gillette Nacet and the initial pass on 4, then working down with successive passes.

LOL! I know what Shaver Nath is going through. I got bit by the razor bug too. I started DE shaving in June and I already have about a dozen razors. I haven't even used them all yet. I'm also developing a problem with soaps too.

But back to the Slim - I've only used it twice but have had success with a Gillette Nacet and the initial pass on 4, then working down with successive passes.
Haha cheers

So update. This morning I did a three pass shave with the slim using a brand new Wilkinson Sword blade.

1st pass with the grain on setting 9. Very bitey but got rid of most of my 4 day growth.

Pass 2 across the grain on setting 5.

Pass 3 against the grain. Started on setting 1 which was like using the razor with no blade haha then up to 3 and then back on 5.

Closest shave I've ever had but with razor burn at no fault other than mine as I have never used this razor. Only cut was on my nose haha as I'm not used to so much blade exposure when I had it on 9 and was careless under my nose.

Great point!! Classic razors that everyone (at least on B+B) should try!! :a29:

Top Bottom