What's new

Best belt

Iv owned pretty close to 50 belts , and a lot of brand names like Dickies or Nike. It is very hard to find a decent belt that will last , but in my opinion .....View attachment 1092946
The military dress uniforms , are the most stylish and by far most reliable belts ....

Probably a synthetic or offbrand that doesn't require brasso!

Anyway what's your opinion , what's your favorite ... Any runner ups / challengers ???

This morning by coincidence I said the very same thing to my girlfriend. As I was getting dressed, I noticed that a leather belt I'd bought exactly five months ago is falling apart. I announced my intention of going back to the store and requesting my money back. I'll put up a bit of a fight, but if they absolutely refuse, I'll tell them to throw it in the trash and walk out. Then I'll make my way to the next store where they sell military type clothing and buy a couple of those webbing belts. They do indeed look sharp. Even if they only last a few years - who cares. (Real surplus stores are few and far between nowadays.)

Cheers,
Gauthier

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased a nice leather belt from Popov Leather quite a few years ago. It's just starting to get softer and will last longer than I will. It was around $85.

I got tired of the $20-$30 "half price" belts in clothing stores that only last a handful of years. I looked at some really nice looking belts from the UK (Equis?), but they were almost twice the price of the Popov. I have a pretty nice Coach belt that has been around for decades.

Leather belts seem to be one of those things where you get what you pay for.

I use the web belts on my golf pants, but they don't cut it for me on dress pants.

I was fortunate to go to London in the 1980's and meet a wonderful artisan leather craftsman name Crispin Bending! For many years he had a stall, then a shop in Camden Lock Market and I had him make numerous leather belts for me over the years although he makes all varieties of handcrafted leather products. He is a very nice and charming guy and many times he made belts for me while I watched. Here is a photo of my last visit to his Camden Lock Market stall in 2015. His website is: About Crispin Bending Leather - Handmade leather belts, bags & wallets - https://www.crispinbendingleather.co.uk/about-crispin-bending-leather

He is a very talented guy and makes wonderful leather creations!

Attachments

• 11062769_10153118786658016_2401448844328263620_n.jpg
    11062769_10153118786658016_2401448844328263620_n.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 16
This morning by coincidence I said the very same thing to my girlfriend. As I was getting dressed, I noticed that a leather belt I'd bought exactly five months ago is falling apart. I announced my intention of going back to the store and requesting my money back. I'll put up a bit of a fight, but if they absolutely refuse, I'll tell them to throw it in the trash and walk out. Then I'll make my way to the next store where they sell military type clothing and buy a couple of those webbing belts. They do indeed look sharp. Even if they only last a few years - who cares. (Real surplus stores are few and far between nowadays.)

By way of an update: I got my money back today, no questions asked. I believe that the manager of the men's department of that clothing store recognized that they'd been selling junk. Now I'm a free agent and can buy something decent.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It may not look like much, but this IS as good a quality belt as it's possible to get. Not even sure of the age, but it's at least 25 years old, possibly over 30. Got it for probably $20-25 at our Memorial Day Arts & Crafts festival. Looks to be a single piece of leather, not 2 thinner pieces glued up. I wear it almost every day.
I'm about to saddle soap & condition it for the FIRST time ever. I'll post some comparison photos after it's all cleaned up.
0606201046a~2.jpg
0606201046~2.jpg
0606201047~2.jpg

Hoping I can do a good job.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
All cleaned up & reconditioned. Fiebings yellow saddle soap & Venetian Shoe Cream
1. After 2 saddle soakings
0606201627~2.jpg

2. After a 2 applications of Venetian
0606201627~2.jpg

3. Third Venetian
0607201236~2.jpg

I think that's good for now. Ready for another 20-30 years of abuse.
Not sure, but I think 1 & 2 are the same photo. So compare 1 & 3 with pre cleaning photo in post above

Has anyone tried a Top Grain Handmade Leather belt from Etsy? I bought one for my dad for Father's day. I hope he likes it. It was less than $50 with free shipping.

I have a trakline belt that I purchased years ago. I've really enjoyed it, and it seems to be wearing well. One negative...that may be adjustable on my end. I find the tail sticks out a bit too car. And depending on the pants I'm wearing, it can get hung on things if there's not a tab in the right spot to hold it down. I may try to trim the belt shorter. Maybe I've lost weight. :D

Leather belts don't last for me regardless of price. The most I ever spent for a belt was years ago at Bloomingdales and it lasted less than a year.
Best belts I've had in my life were in 1980s on Canal Street in NYC. Used to be a guy on sidewalk that would set up a table. You picked the leather, then picked the buckle and he put it together right there. I had one of his belts for over 10 years. He probably got busted by police during Guliani years here.

Reactions: Avi

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I agree that the military rod-buckle is a great thing. Outside the military you can get them everywhere. Most fabric stores have them, also a lot of outdoor stores especially if they sell to do-it-yourselfers.

My best belt? At the moment it's a belt made from an oil-tanned strap that I bought in a farm store in 2005. Punched a few holes, put in a couple Chicago screws, and been wearing it almost every day since. It's been all over the world. When it finally wears out in another 15 years or so, I'll go get another one.

O.H.

There was a member of this forum several years ago who custom made belts. He had a gorgeous hand-tool belt picutred and I had him make one for me. That belt is now at least 3 or 4 years old and it has never taken a curved set like most cheap belts will. Still looks brand new. As I recall, a little over $225, but IMHO, well worth it.

I agree that the military rod-buckle is a great thing. Outside the military you can get them everywhere. Most fabric stores have them, also a lot of outdoor stores especially if they sell to do-it-yourselfers.

My best belt? At the moment it's a belt made from an oil-tanned strap that I bought in a farm store in 2005. Punched a few holes, put in a couple Chicago screws, and been wearing it almost every day since. It's been all over the world. When it finally wears out in another 15 years or so, I'll go get another one.

O.H.

At all events, I like your Avatar. When I was a student, I always read Mr. Natural. I never was a hippie, but rather, an existentialist - consequently I find military belts good - whatever works.

863EB4F9-F649-413F-A553-870CCB771AF6.jpeg

One type of belt I cannot recommend is the reinforced web style belt which is rather popular with the tactical trouser/5.11 crowd. I have one I bought from Vedder. Seldom if ever wear it.
Threading it through belt loops on most conventional jeans (Carhartt, Duluth Trading, etc.) is surely tedious unless you remove the buckle, which is a pain in and of itself.
Seems well made and all but just too much like work to use....for me😕

I don’t know about best, but I do have a favorite. It’s a casual nylon web belt.

The belt on the left is one I’ve worn for 9 years. Wear it all the time when not at work. I started looking for a new one 3 years ago, but I’d cut the dangly tag off of it. I’ve tried all sorts since, but none like my favorite.

This Summer I found them on vacation in Colorado. So, I bought 2 more. They are not reversible, but I like the back sides better. I’m going to take them somewhere with an industrial sewing machine and get them reversed.

65BE5DD0-7E87-49A3-9DF1-2D164B315C96.jpeg

Here is the Bison Design website with many color/pattern options and buckles in black or gunmetal.

Black Gunmetal

I've been wearing Galco leather gunbelts for years---maybe not the absolute best but still quite good---recently picked up a couple blemished ones for like $55 each---they look fine to me----mainly worn at work(no gun) but hold up my pants quite well with all the wrenches and crap that wind up in my pockets.

Top Bottom