What's new

Best beginner fountain pen

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The Pilot G2 and Parker G2 cartridges are two totally different things. But it is amusing reading all the confusion. They are not compatible, but I believe there are hacks for getting a Pilot G2 refill to fit in pens designed for a Parker G2. Everyone G2G!?

The Pilot G2 and Parker G2 cartridges are two totally different things. But it is amusing reading all the confusion. They are not compatible, but I believe there are hacks for getting a Pilot G2 refill to fit in pens designed for a Parker G2. Everyone G2G!?
and here I was thinking you had a tutorial on the swap/mod. my lazy self has the disappoint...

but still, 5 by 5... aaaaaaaaaand roger.

"lickin' chicken" if that's easier.

An entry level Pelikan will IMO outperform pens costing many times more. A first pen that does not provide the smooth flowing magic that is possible will be a hard way to begin.

The NOS (or nice used) Sheaffer route is promising. I had a Sheaffer desk set back in my banking lawyer life, and it wrote like a dream. So does my daughter's Parker Sonnet.
I am looking to get my first fountain pen, too.

The Pelikan Jazz looks nice, for around $20. The Koweco Sport is about the same amount, but you can swap nibs. The Pelikan only comes in a medium, which is probably what I want anyway.

So is the Pelican Jazz the way to go? I wouldn’t mind going up to $50 or so but I read that you need to go well into 3 digits to really see a difference.

Re: the Jazz, research says that the Pelikan converter will fit, that it will not fit, that it will take 2 short carts, that there is only room for one cart, and that it will take a large cart. Needless to say, I am confused.

Also, in general, is there an advantage to using short carts? My guess is that if you do not use the pen enough, the ink will dry up, so using short carts would waste less ink. Am I correct?

Also, I am looking for a classic look, so both the Pelikan Jazz in black and the Koweco Sport in black seem to fit the bill based on my very limited research.

I am a left handed writer. Always had problems with fountain pens. The year I was drafted, in the military, I decided I wanted to try writing with a fountain pen. I had found a cheap piston filler pen, maybe Ero, and started my trip. The Captain of my Company wans't very pleased to read my reports in violet, green, purple and he sent calling for me when he didn't approve :)
I had that pen for years. Unfortunately I stupidily binned it for no apparent reason years ago when the fp knack had got a hold of me. I used, rarely, my great grandfather's Waterman 58 and this how I got into vintage pens. At the time I wans't aware of cheap Chinese pens, end of the 80s. I only knew of Pelikan, Parker of which I had a 25, Waterman, Sheaffer's. Anyway the Ero pen was an experiment and I did manage to master it. So IMO every beginner has his 'go to' pen to start with. May it be by brand, by nib size, by cost. 100s forum members have started differently. When I started, 80s, there still were proper B&M shops where you could go and find the right pen for you, now all you have are video blogs, forums and word of mouth. You may want one pen, or two or three to start off? Fine. But never say that one will suffice, this is never going to happen :)
M

I am a left handed writer. Always had problems with fountain pens. The year I was drafted, in the military, I decided I wanted to try writing with a fountain pen. I had found a cheap piston filler pen, maybe Ero, and started my trip. The Captain of my Company wans't very pleased to read my reports in violet, green, purple and he sent calling for me when he didn't approve :)
I had that pen for years. Unfortunately I stupidily binned it for no apparent reason years ago when the fp knack had got a hold of me. I used, rarely, my great grandfather's Waterman 58 and this how I got into vintage pens. At the time I wans't aware of cheap Chinese pens, end of the 80s. I only knew of Pelikan, Parker of which I had a 25, Waterman, Sheaffer's. Anyway the Ero pen was an experiment and I did manage to master it. So IMO every beginner has his 'go to' pen to start with. May it be by brand, by nib size, by cost. 100s forum members have started differently. When I started, 80s, there still were proper B&M shops where you could go and find the right pen for you, now all you have are video blogs, forums and word of mouth. You may want one pen, or two or three to start off? Fine. But never say that one will suffice, this is never going to happen :)
M
So in other words, don’t overthink it?
Thanks

For those getting started, and who don't want to make a big monetary commitment, some of the Jinhao pens out of China are with considering. Over the past while, I've bought:

- Jinhao 992, transparent brown, fine nib. Cost less than $2 delivered from AliExpress. Comes witha converter. Surprisingly good nib. Is a great nib no matter the price. Only things I don't like: the converter takes in the pen; and the pen is a bit make fried my taste.

- Jinhao 86, pink, give nib. Also around $2, also excellent nib. What I don't like: the color (the pictures showed an orange pen, but it's definitely pink); and it's a screw cap, and i don't like the feel of the threads when writing.

- Jinhao 51a, blue, extra fine nib. Again, around $2. Incredible pen and nib. If you don't like hooded nibs, look fora fine or wider nib. I love my Parker 21s, but the nib on the Jinhao 51a is nicer.

The only downside to ordering from AliExpress is that you'll wait a month or two to have the pen delivered. Goulet Pens has the 51a in stock for $4. May be able to find it elsewhere.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am looking to get my first fountain pen, too.

The Pelikan Jazz looks nice, for around $20. The Koweco Sport is about the same amount, but you can swap nibs. The Pelikan only comes in a medium, which is probably what I want anyway.

So is the Pelican Jazz the way to go? I wouldn’t mind going up to $50 or so but I read that you need to go well into 3 digits to really see a difference.

Re: the Jazz, research says that the Pelikan converter will fit, that it will not fit, that it will take 2 short carts, that there is only room for one cart, and that it will take a large cart. Needless to say, I am confused.

Also, in general, is there an advantage to using short carts? My guess is that if you do not use the pen enough, the ink will dry up, so using short carts would waste less ink. Am I correct?

Also, I am looking for a classic look, so both the Pelikan Jazz in black and the Koweco Sport in black seem to fit the bill based on my very limited research.
I am not familiar with the Jazz, but I have an older Pelikan with a steel nib that writes like a dream, no discernible difference in the way it writes compared to my M400 with the fancier nib.

For those getting started, and who don't want to make a big monetary commitment, some of the Jinhao pens out of China are with considering. Over the past while, I've bought:

- Jinhao 992, transparent brown, fine nib. Cost less than $2 delivered from AliExpress. Comes witha converter. Surprisingly good nib. Is a great nib no matter the price. Only things I don't like: the converter takes in the pen; and the pen is a bit make fried my taste.

- Jinhao 86, pink, give nib. Also around $2, also excellent nib. What I don't like: the color (the pictures showed an orange pen, but it's definitely pink); and it's a screw cap, and i don't like the feel of the threads when writing.

- Jinhao 51a, blue, extra fine nib. Again, around $2. Incredible pen and nib. If you don't like hooded nibs, look fora fine or wider nib. I love my Parker 21s, but the nib on the Jinhao 51a is nicer.

The only downside to ordering from AliExpress is that you'll wait a month or two to have the pen delivered. Goulet Pens has the 51a in stock for $4. May be able to find it elsewhere.
Thanks. I order from Ali all the time and usually get things in about 3 weeks.

I want to get a “good” one, and only one (yea right), for no more than around $50 or so. I have no idea how they should write, so ignorance is bliss for me right now. I do want it to take a converter so I can try different inks. Ability to try different nibs would be nice, but it seems medium would be good for a beginner.

I am not familiar with the Jazz, but I have an older Pelikan with a steel nib that writes like a dream, no discernible difference in the way it writes compared to my M400 with the fancier nib.
I am where I was 8 years ago with DE razors, so I could not tell a good nib from a bad one right now.
I will only be keeping this at home so portability/compactness is not a concern. I also want it to look classy and not like it belongs in the pencil case of a first grader. 😄

So is there another Pelikan that you can recommend that won’t break my budget?

I have read this thread, so that’s why I set my budget around $50 to avoid the “dead” spot.

And I would like to get a new one currently in production. Not neccessarily a Pelikan but I was drawn to that one based on your comment how an entry level one will outperform other brands in that price range and higher.

Thanks

Also, forgot to say that technically this will not be my first FP. I recently found among my late father’s belongings an old Japanese “Jumbo Pen” but have never tried it. I read some bad things about it regarding the nib as well as being prone to leaks. It looks to be in good shape with no cracks, though.

Last edited:
A. This Lamy Safari in charcoal with 5 ink cartridges and a converter for 35 ish. It will come with a blue ink cartridge so you can compare/contrast

The Lamy Safari looks like a great deal with the converter and 5 spare carts. Seems too good to be true. I wonder about the Amazon reviews, though. Some say it's fake, some say the converter was not included. I'm never sure if they are just reviewing the product and it applies to all vendors, or if the reviews are vendor specific.

That vendor only has limited barrel colors for that package deal, and only fine point nibs, but Lamy fine points are supposed to me more like mediums for other brands, right? I will be using the pen for personal writing, so I want something smooth but don't want the ink to be sloppy. I plan to use a leather bound record/account book from "National Brand" that I got years ago that I've only used a 3 few pages of out of 160 (80 sheets). The paper seems to be of good quality. I assume for an FP you should only use one side.

So I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

1. Pelikan Jazz, medium nib
2. Koweco Sport, medium nib
3. Lamy Safari fine nib (assuming it will be like a medium for the above)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am where I was 8 years ago with DE razors, so I could not tell a good nib from a bad one right now.
I will only be keeping this at home so portability/compactness is not a concern. I also want it to look classy and not like it belongs in the pencil case of a first grader. 😄

So is there another Pelikan that you can recommend that won’t break my budget?

I have read this thread, so that’s why I set my budget around $50 to avoid the “dead” spot.

And I would like to get a new one currently in production. Not neccessarily a Pelikan but I was drawn to that one based on your comment how an entry level one will outperform other brands in that price range and higher.

Thanks

Also, forgot to say that technically this will not be my first FP. I recently found among my late father’s belongings an old Japanese “Jumbo Pen” but have never tried it. I read some bad things about it regarding the nib as well as being prone to leaks. It looks to be in good shape with no cracks, though.
I'd either save for a Souveran M200 or look on places like eBay for something classic at a good price.

I'd either save for a Souveran M200 or look on places like eBay for something classic at a good price.
Thanks.

Hmmm...$160...😀
So I think what you are implying is that this will turn out like my razor collection -- I have more than I want to admit, I never paid more than $80 for one, but I would have spent less if I just went all-out from the start.

TBH, though, I only had one safety razor, a Merkur 33c, for 7 years before I went down the rabbit hole. Most of my collection is vintage Schick and Gillette.

I'd prefer to not go vintage/classic, since I'm not ready, nor have the knowledge, to be discerning enough to make sure I'm not getting junk. It took awhile for me to get up-to-speed in that respect for vintage razors.

I'm really not planning on going down an FP rabbit hole (really, I'm not) -- unlike shaving which is a necessity and not just a hobby. I really just want to play around with a decent FP and do some handwriting instead of always typing on a keyboard like I am right now. I'm really tempted by that Lamy Safari deal on Amazon, since it will have me set for awhile without having to buy anything more -- and then it will just be ink.

The more I read, the more this is getting hard for me to wrap my head around. I now see that there is the ink fading issue. It seems black ink is the safest. I'm not looking to go down an ink rabbit hole with different colors, and have people read my journal 100 years from now. I won't be exposing my writing to sunlight (who leaves their writings out in the sun, anyway?), and only artificial light while writing. The journal will then be closed. But in, for example 10 years, I don't want it faded to the point that it is unreadable. Is this something to worry about? Is the standard ink that comes in the carts with the Lamy Safari decent enough? I have used a Parker rollerball, and stuff I wrote 10 years ago in a basic black-and-white notebook has held up fine -- looks like I just wrote it. I have no idea if that's the same type of ink used in an FP.

BTW, thanks to all for the great info throughout this thread, both before and after I posted.

The Lamy Safari is a fine starter. If you want a piston filler, a TWSBI would be the way to go (they use the same nibs as the Lamy).

I wouldn't worry about ink fading, I have notes, written on recycled paper in Parker Turquoise that are still legible from the mid-1980s. If you are really determined to maintain archival quality, there is a wide range of permanent inks, otherwise blue, blue-black and black will survive for decades (assuming no water or light exposure).

The Lamy Safari is a fine starter. If you want a piston filler, a TWSBI would be the way to go (they use the same nibs as the Lamy).

I wouldn't worry about ink fading, I have notes, written on recycled paper in Parker Turquoise that are still legible from the mid-1980s. If you are really determined to maintain archival quality, there is a wide range of permanent inks, otherwise blue, blue-black and black will survive for decades (assuming no water or light exposure).
Thanks. I assure you that nobody even wants to read what I write now, let alone 10, 20, or 30 years from now.
😀
I just want to have some fun, start writing in script again (that's what we called it when I was a kid, now they say "cursive"), learn how to use an FP, and use something different than my usual Bic disposable ballpoint, or even my entry-level Parker rollerball. I really haven't written much other than the usual jotting down something, or writing checks, etc., in a long time.

Top Bottom