What's new

Best beginner fountain pen

Hi there, the Nib section of B&B has always intrigued me.

Any recommendations for a complete newb/beginner. My go to pen for a while has been the pilot G2 either the 07 or 05 variety. We’ll see how this rabbit hole goes, but to start I’d like to keep the cost reasonable. Im thinking sub $40 total. No idea what all could be had for that price range, or if that’s even reasonable. Less is also acceptable/preferable.

Thanks so much, I hope you have a great day!

I agree with Rhody, you have a lot of options. In addition to the TWSBI eco and Lamy safari, other commonly suggested beginner pens are the Pilot Kakuno, Pilot metropolitan and the Platinum preppy. The TWSBI Swipe is quite new but probably also joins this category. They've all got upsides and downsides (and are more or less within the budget you have set). I'd say that you should look at them and choose one that you like the look of. If you name one that strikes your fancy I'm happy to go into more detail.

Whatever you pick, you will have a choice of nib width. If you're used to a G2 and want to use the pen for everyday writing then then you probably want to choose a fine nib.

You'll also need ink. Most of the named options above can take cartridges, but you need to get the right ones (some brands only accept particular ones). Alternatively, you can buy a "converter" (or it may come with the pen) to use bottled ink. In which case you need to buy a bottle! The TWSBI eco has an internal piston filling system that means it cannot take cartridges, so you definitely will need ink with that one. If you do want to buy a bottle of ink, Waterman inks are very well-thought of so have a look at those first. Another brand with inks that are generally well-behaved are Diamine - they have a lot more colours to choose from, so if none of the Waterman colours appeal then check them out.

Forgot to add, I've assumed that you're in America because you quoted a price in dollars. If this is not the case and you are in the UK/Europe I can send a pen and some ink for you to try first if you like.

All prices cited below are common trends, not MSRP and not absolute rock bottom.

BEST Raw value out of the package-Pilot Metropolitan

Metal bodied pen
Japanese "medium" just a bit thinner than european versions such that it puts down a skoosh less ink and feathers less on marginal paper.
You get a cartridge so you can write off the bat
You get a converter so you can use bottled ink right off the bat.

25 ish USD absolutely max. Versions/colors on Amazon sub 20 USD shipped prime all day long.

Intersection of quality/value-Lamy Al-Star

Metal bodied pen-available in a 10+ colors, often with matching inks.
Ergonomically designed to help many write better, particularly with a fountain pen.
Comes with an blue ink cartridge
DOES NOT typically come with a converter such that you may bust youy budget by 10USD max when you buy a pen and add the converter.

38ish is the street for the pen, many colors/configurations show up on amazon for under 30 USD. The converter is 5-7ish

Buy and forget choice- Lamy Safari
Polymer bodied pen that will not meaningfully scratch or dent unlike the Al-Star.
Otherwise it is just like the Al-star re colors, nib configurations etc.

25 ish street price.

As someone who owns 10 Lamys, has owned 4 or 5 Metropolitans, dabbled in vintage Parker 45s and various Shaeffers and Esterbrooks, from the pure function/reliability/quality/value point of view, IMHO one could buy

A. This Lamy Safari in charcoal with 5 ink cartridges and a converter for 35 ish. It will come with a blue ink cartridge so you can compare/contrast

add this note book which is quite fountain pen friendly at 8 ish and write on forever:

Edited to add re bottled ink- It is never a bad idea to buy the same brand of bottled ink as the pen in the beginning.
I happen to believe that the entry level Pilot Inks and the Lamy ones, both under 15 USD, are fine in every way.

Platinum Plaisir

I have over 100 pens. Beginner pens: Metros, Safaris, Chinese brands. I have my choice of high-priced Pilots, Pelikans, Parkers. Plenty of pens to choose from. The Plaisir has been continually inked since I got in in November of 2020. I simply love it.

If there is a downside, they use proprietary cartridges. However, they are robust and can be filled and reused multiple times.

My Kaweco Sport Classic is great; within your price range (I think); mine is used with carts only, as my go-to ink is J. Herbin Violette Pensee. It's a smaller pen, so most suitable for a guy with small mitts like me. The fine nib is the best nib I have. I love my sterling silver Montegrappa grail pen, but I don't carry it around - it's heavy - and my Lamy Safari is OK, but there is a faint residual scratchiness I can't get rid of. I edit books ink-on-pasper, and my Kaweco Sport is up to the task.

I agree with Rhody, you have a lot of options. In addition to the TWSBI eco and Lamy safari, other commonly suggested beginner pens are the Pilot Kakuno, Pilot metropolitan and the Platinum preppy. The TWSBI Swipe is quite new but probably also joins this category. They've all got upsides and downsides (and are more or less within the budget you have set). I'd say that you should look at them and choose one that you like the look of. If you name one that strikes your fancy I'm happy to go into more detail.

Whatever you pick, you will have a choice of nib width. If you're used to a G2 and want to use the pen for everyday writing then then you probably want to choose a fine nib.

You'll also need ink. Most of the named options above can take cartridges, but you need to get the right ones (some brands only accept particular ones). Alternatively, you can buy a "converter" (or it may come with the pen) to use bottled ink. In which case you need to buy a bottle! The TWSBI eco has an internal piston filling system that means it cannot take cartridges, so you definitely will need ink with that one. If you do want to buy a bottle of ink, Waterman inks are very well-thought of so have a look at those first. Another brand with inks that are generally well-behaved are Diamine - they have a lot more colours to choose from, so if none of the Waterman colours appeal then check them out.
That is a ton of great information! Thank you so much! Giving me some more research to do!
Forgot to add, I've assumed that you're in America because you quoted a price in dollars. If this is not the case and you are in the UK/Europe I can send a pen and some ink for you to try first if you like.
I am located in the US. Super generous of you though! B&B is the best place on the interwebs!

All prices cited below are common trends, not MSRP and not absolute rock bottom.

BEST Raw value out of the package-Pilot Metropolitan

Metal bodied pen
Japanese "medium" just a bit thinner than european versions such that it puts down a skoosh less ink and feathers less on marginal paper.
You get a cartridge so you can write off the bat
You get a converter so you can use bottled ink right off the bat.

25 ish USD absolutely max. Versions/colors on Amazon sub 20 USD shipped prime all day long.

Intersection of quality/value-Lamy Al-Star

Metal bodied pen-available in a 10+ colors, often with matching inks.
Ergonomically designed to help many write better, particularly with a fountain pen.
Comes with an blue ink cartridge
DOES NOT typically come with a converter such that you may bust youy budget by 10USD max when you buy a pen and add the converter.

38ish is the street for the pen, many colors/configurations show up on amazon for under 30 USD. The converter is 5-7ish

Buy and forget choice- Lamy Safari
Polymer bodied pen that will not meaningfully scratch or dent unlike the Al-Star.
Otherwise it is just like the Al-star re colors, nib configurations etc.

25 ish street price.

As someone who owns 10 Lamys, has owned 4 or 5 Metropolitans, dabbled in vintage Parker 45s and various Shaeffers and Esterbrooks, from the pure function/reliability/quality/value point of view, IMHO one could buy

A. This Lamy Safari in charcoal with 5 ink cartridges and a converter for 35 ish. It will come with a blue ink cartridge so you can compare/contrast

add this note book which is quite fountain pen friendly at 8 ish and write on forever:

Edited to add re bottled ink- It is never a bad idea to buy the same brand of bottled ink as the pen in the beginning.
I happen to believe that the entry level Pilot Inks and the Lamy ones, both under 15 USD, are fine in every way.

Well doggone! Thank you for all of that information! That makes research a lot easier for me to get started!! Much obliged!

Platinum Plaisir

I have over 100 pens. Beginner pens: Metros, Safaris, Chinese brands. I have my choice of high-priced Pilots, Pelikans, Parkers. Plenty of pens to choose from. The Plaisir has been continually inked since I got in in November of 2020. I simply love it.

If there is a downside, they use proprietary cartridges. However, they are robust and can be filled and reused multiple times.
Well awesome!! I will have to look that one up!! Thank you!!

My Kaweco Sport Classic is great; within your price range (I think); mine is used with carts only, as my go-to ink is J. Herbin Violette Pensee. It's a smaller pen, so most suitable for a guy with small mitts like me. The fine nib is the best nib I have. I love my sterling silver Montegrappa grail pen, but I don't carry it around - it's heavy - and my Lamy Safari is OK, but there is a faint residual scratchiness I can't get rid of. I edit books ink-on-pasper, and my Kaweco Sport is up to the task.
Well sweet! Thanks so much for sharing!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Almost all mine are "beginner" pens, as what many folks would consider "proper" pens, really do not appeal to me at all. I'm not fond of plastic pens, threads under my fingers, or high price tags. Most of mine have had a little DIY nib refinement (quick, cheap and easy), to get the best from them, and they all work how I need them to.

Below £20, the ones that work well for me are Baoer 388, Wing Sung 3008, Helix Oxford, Sheaffer VFM, and Ohto Tasche. Some I have had a few months, and some others, a few years. At a slightly higher price, I have had good experience with Parker IM fountain pens.

To see if you're going to like fountain pens, consider a Pilot V-pen. They're cheap, come filled with ink, are disposable, and the nib is pretty good.

As i think no one's mentioned it, Parker 45. There's tonnes about and the nibs in a variety of sizes and easy to pick up and change over. Plus the quink ink is easy to get hold of too. If that fails any of the cheap Parker line, vector ect. A few quid so you won't loose anything if you don't like em. 😉

Top Bottom