What's new

Best beginner fountain pen

Almost all mine are "beginner" pens, as what many folks would consider "proper" pens, really do not appeal to me at all. I'm not fond of plastic pens, threads under my fingers, or high price tags. Most of mine have had a little DIY nib refinement (quick, cheap and easy), to get the best from them, and they all work how I need them to.

Below £20, the ones that work well for me are Baoer 388, Wing Sung 3008, Helix Oxford, Sheaffer VFM, and Ohto Tasche. Some I have had a few months, and some others, a few years. At a slightly higher price, I have had good experience with Parker IM fountain pens.
I appreciate your insight! I had no idea that you could diy a pen. Shows I’ve got a lot to learn!

To see if you're going to like fountain pens, consider a Pilot V-pen. They're cheap, come filled with ink, are disposable, and the nib is pretty good.
I’m definitely considering this route. Just grabbing a couple of cheap/disposable pens to see if it’s a rabbit hole I want to jump in or not. I appreciate you sharing!

If I got that route I’m considering the Varsity or the Platinum preppy. $3 & $4.50 respectively. No idea how those stack up to the other entry level pens that have been recommended. These are the 4 on that list for me so far:
Pilot metropolitan
Lamy safari
Kaweco Sport
twsbi eco

No idea which would end up being the most enjoyable to write with. It’s probably like everything here, it takes time and effort to learn what works best for you.

As i think no one's mentioned it, Parker 45. There's tonnes about and the nibs in a variety of sizes and easy to pick up and change over. Plus the quink ink is easy to get hold of too. If that fails any of the cheap Parker line, vector ect. A few quid so you won't loose anything if you don't like em. 😉
Hey I really appreciate your feedback and advice there! Probably smart to dip my toe in the water before diving in head first.

A few questions,
Do you already write a lot and are looking to make the switch to fountain pens?
Is it for note taking at work/college?
Or is it just for maintaining a journal at home?
Or are you looking to make it a hobby?

Too many people starting out buy a cheap pen and are put off by how scratchy they write.
I feel first impressions are important with a FP.
Invest in a decent pen like a Pilot custom 74, Parker 45 or a lower end Pelikan.
Also don't forget the pen is only 1/3rd of the equation. Pick up a trusted ink and good quality paper as well. Pilot/waterman/sailor are all good inexpensive inks.
Rhodia makes good notebooks.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy yourself😊

I use a Lamy Vista (safari) and Kakuno at work. Both are inexpensive, readily available in a variety of colors, proven performers and quality pens. It would suck if they get lost or stolen but not as much as a more expensive pen, I leave those at home.

The Kakuno really surprised me with the build quality of a $15 plastic pen. The Medium nib is what I use for my daily needs of taking misc noted and signing legal/court documents.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Welcome to the Nib! Believe me, the rabbit hole goes farther and deeper than you can possibly imagine! But its a fun rabbit hole.

Okay, lots of great suggestions already. If you google "best beginner fountain pens", you'll see lots of overlap on various lists. So there a lot of good pens out there. It really depends want in a fountain pen: Traditional or playful? Piston fill or cartridge/converter? Pocket-size or full size? Plastic/resin or metal barrel?

In broad terms, I think you can't go wrong with any pen from Germany, Japan, or Taiwan - ie Lamy, Faber-Castel, Pelikan, Kaweco, Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, TWISBI, Laban, Retro 51. Italian pens are going to be mostly out of your price range, but a lot of people like the Leonardo Momento Zero and the lower end Visconti pens if you are willing to splurge a little [edit-oh, I just looked at the latest prices and they are precipitously higher than I remembered, so you could probably scratch Italian pens off the "beginner" pen list]. Chinese pens are more hit-and-miss. If you go Chinese, I'd get it from a reputable retailer like Goulet for an extra layer of QC rather than Ebay or Amazon. "American" pens are mostly made in China these days, but I think Cross does a fairly good job of QC. If you want a real Made in the USA pen and are willing to bump your price up a little, check out Karas Kustoms. Another "outside the box" recommendation are the NOS USA-made Sheaffer pens from Peyton Street Pens.

Last edited:
A few questions,
Do you already write a lot and are looking to make the switch to fountain pens?
Is it for note taking at work/college?
Or is it just for maintaining a journal at home?
Or are you looking to make it a hobby?
I do not write a lot currently. Considering it however. My penmanship is garbage, and I’d like to improve on it. Thought a nicer pen my coax me into practicing.
I would probably use it primarily for note taking, church, work, reading, underlining in books.
Too many people starting out buy a cheap pen and are put off by how scratchy they write.
I feel first impressions are important with a FP.
Invest in a decent pen like a Pilot custom 74, Parker 45 or a lower end Pelikan.
Also don't forget the pen is only 1/3rd of the equation. Pick up a trusted ink and good quality paper as well. Pilot/waterman/sailor are all good inexpensive inks.
Rhodia makes good notebooks.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy yourself😊
Much obliged! I’m looking forward to figuring out my first step and then taking said step.

I use a Lamy Vista (safari) and Kakuno at work. Both are inexpensive, readily available in a variety of colors, proven performers and quality pens. It would suck if they get lost or stolen but not as much as a more expensive pen, I leave those at home.

The Kakuno really surprised me with the build quality of a $15 plastic pen. The Medium nib is what I use for my daily needs of taking misc noted and signing legal/court documents.
I will have to add those to the list to look into! Thank you!!

Welcome to the Nib! Believe me, the rabbit hole goes farther and deeper than you can possibly imagine! But its a fun rabbit hole.
I am quickly learning that! 😬😬 not sure how I feel about it currently lol. Bit overwhelming for sure, but it’s intriguing nonetheless.
Okay, lots of great suggestions already. If you google "best beginner fountain pens", you'll see lots of overlap on various lists. So there a lot of good pens out there. It really depends want in a fountain pen: Traditional or playful? Piston fill or cartridge/converter? Pocket-size or full size? Plastic/resin or metal barrel?
Those are all really good questions. I need to spend some time thinking about those. The idea of having a pen that takes cartridges and a converter seems interesting. Speaking with ignorance here, seems like it would be easier to access a larger variety of ink options? 🤷‍♂️
As far as material goes, I’m coming from all plastics pens. I like the way the G2 pilots feel in hand, so I don’t mind plastic, so long as it doesn’t feel cheap. If that makes any sense. I also don’t think I want a super heavy pen either as I would like to be able to enjoy writing with it for a stretch at a time.
In broad terms, I think you can't go wrong with any pen from Germany, Japan, or Taiwan - ie Lamy, Faber-Castel, Pelikan, Kaweco, Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, TWISBI, Laban, Retro 51. Italian pens are going to be mostly out of your price range, but a lot of people like the Leonardo Momento Zero and the lower end Visconti pens if you are willing to splurge a little [edit-oh, I just looked at the latest prices and they are precipitously higher than I remembered, so you could probably scratch Italian pens off the "beginner" pen list]. Chinese pens are more hit-and-miss. If you go Chinese, I'd get it from a reputable retailer like Goulet for an extra layer of QC rather than Ebay or Amazon. "American" pens are mostly made in China these days, but I think Cross does a fairly good job of QC. If you want a real Made in the USA pen and are willing to bump your price up a little, check out Karas Kustoms. Another "outside the box" recommendation are the NOS USA-made Sheaffer pens from Peyton Street Pens.
Holy moly you weren’t kidding about the rabbit hole being deep! Lots of more pens to go look up!! Much appreciated, thank you sir!

and since you're US based, check out Goulet Pens. they should have video reviews of most of the pens here, in their blog section I believe. Ink Spots or something like that, it's been a long while for me. and a lot of general knowledge, "how pens, or this pen works", filling/cleaning/maintaining pens, etc. pretty decent primers for new users.

and they also sell bottled ink samplers, so you don't have to buy a year or two's worth of ink to test drive it. different pens like different kinds of ink and sometimes you have to experiment to find the right match for your pen and writing style, beyond a color.

welcome to it.

I don't really like Safaris because of the triangular grip and their nibs are generally a size bigger than their peers. their Fine writes like a Medium, etc.

Pilot 78Gs were really good cheap starter pens that I think are out of production. the Metropolitan is a metal bodied version and the nibs are fantastic at that price point. Japanese nibs are generally a size smaller that American/European. so a Japanese Medium writes like an American/European Fine.

the Kaweco sport classic is a decently good pen, and is an easy pocket pen to travel with. I have one eyedroppered, meaning I silicone grease the threads of the body and section and fill the body with ink, for a huge capacity. but I have my ink choices sorted out.

TWSBI's are well built pens. I have a 540 mini with an XF nib that retains a bit of scritch which is kinda common for XFs. it writes pretty wet and heavy. I don't know how their other nibs perform.

Last edited:
Let me look when I get home tomorrow night, I may have a pen that I can send you!

Tom
Tom, I’m at a loss for words. That is extremely generous of you sir! Thank you.

I’m extremely grateful to everyone who has shared insight, information, and taken the time to help educate a newbie to the Nib corner of B&B. Thank you all.

JL

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I am quickly learning that! 😬😬 not sure how I feel about it currently lol. Bit overwhelming for sure, but it’s intriguing nonetheless.

Those are all really good questions. I need to spend some time thinking about those. The idea of having a pen that takes cartridges and a converter seems interesting. Speaking with ignorance here, seems like it would be easier to access a larger variety of ink options? 🤷‍♂️
As far as material goes, I’m coming from all plastics pens. I like the way the G2 pilots feel in hand, so I don’t mind plastic, so long as it doesn’t feel cheap. If that makes any sense. I also don’t think I want a super heavy pen either as I would like to be able to enjoy writing with it for a stretch at a time.

Holy moly you weren’t kidding about the rabbit hole being deep! Lots of more pens to go look up!! Much appreciated, thank you sir!
Sorry dude, didn't mean to psych you out :biggrin1:. If you like Pilot, start with a Pilot. Pilot makes awesome pens, from the cheapest ones to ultra expensive. If you want a colorful, playful plastic pen with smiley faces on the nib, grab a Kakuno (though they do make it in all black, if that's more your thing) If you want a traditional cigar-shaped metal pen more suited to professional environments, grab a Metropolitan (though they do make them with animal prints on the barrel, if you a little fun). Both pens use the same steel nibs (except for the smiley faces on the Kakuno nibs). As far as nib size - if you like the Pilot G2 0.7mm pens, get an M, if prefer 0.5mm get the F, and if you prefer 0.37mm get the XF. If you want something totally different than a ballpoint pen, get the 1.0mm stub nib which will put line variation in your writing and make it look "fancy" (for lack of a better word).

You are correct that converters open up a wider variety of ink, which is its own massive rabbit hole. But you don't have to jump into that right away. Pilot's basic Blue, Black, and Blue-Blacks are excellent and a good starting point. Pilot Iroshizuko, the "premium" ink line, is even better and AFAIK available in cartridges - a good step up when you want more than the basics. The Kakuno can use Pilot's biggest converter, the Con-70, while the Metro is not quite long enough. Personally, I don't love Pilot's smaller converters, which never flow well for me, but the cartridges are great.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to psych you out :biggrin1:.
Nah, not a worry in the world! I just didn’t have an inkling of an idea how deep and wide this rabbit hole was! 😎 lol.
If you like Pilot, start with a Pilot.
I’m by no means stuck on pilot. The G2 is just the pen I’ve had the most experience with, figured I’d share, thinking from my ignorance, that it might be helpful information. 🤷‍♂️
Pilot makes awesome pens, from the cheapest ones to ultra expensive. If you want a colorful, playful plastic pen with smiley faces on the nib, grab a Kakuno (though they do make it in all black, if that's more your thing) If you want a traditional cigar-shaped metal pen more suited to professional environments, grab a Metropolitan (though they do make them with animal prints on the barrel, if you a little fun). Both pens use the same steel nibs (except for the smiley faces on the Kakuno nibs).
That is super helpful information! The metropolitan and Kakuno are two that I was considering, I was wondering if the Nibs were the same or not.
As far as nib size - if you like the Pilot G2 0.7mm pens, get an M, if prefer 0.5mm get the F, and if you prefer 0.37mm get the XF. If you want something totally different than a ballpoint pen, get the 1.0mm stub nib which will put line variation in your writing and make it look "fancy" (for lack of a better word).
That is awesome information! I’ve been trying to figure out which nib size to go with. Thank you!
You are correct that converters open up a wider variety of ink, which is its own massive rabbit hole. But you don't have to jump into that right away. Pilot's basic Blue, Black, and Blue-Blacks are excellent and a good starting point. Pilot Iroshizuko, the "premium" ink line, is even better and AFAIK available in cartridges - a good step up when you want more than the basics. The Kakuno can use Pilot's biggest converter, the Con-70, while the Metro is not quite long enough. Personally, I don't love Pilot's smaller converters, which never flow well for me, but the cartridges are great.
Thank you John! This is all incredibly helpful information. I really appreciate you taking the time to type this all out for me! I will definitely be referencing back to this as I move forward. Thank you again!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

I agree with @tankerjohn. If you go to a site like Fahrney's and filter for fountain pens lowest to highest price, you will get a very good look at a wide range of pens. You can inspect them ond by one assess if that one is it or if you need to keep scrolling. I notice some recommendations for the Lamy. At that point in the low end price range I prefer Waterman or Pilot. Fountain pens are all about the nib to me. I'd urge you to be open to spending a tad more. An entry level Pelikan will IMO outperform pens costing many times more. A first pen that does not provide the smooth flowing magic that is possible will be a hard way to begin.

The NOS (or nice used) Sheaffer route is promising. I had a Sheaffer desk set back in my banking lawyer life, and it wrote like a dream. So does my daughter's Parker Sonnet.

I agree with @tankerjohn. If you go to a site like Fahrney's and filter for fountain pens lowest to highest price, you will get a very good look at a wide range of pens. You can inspect them ond by one assess if that one is it or if you need to keep scrolling. I notice some recommendations for the Lamy. At that point in the low end price range I prefer Waterman or Pilot. Fountain pens are all about the nib to me. I'd urge you to be open to spending a tad more. An entry level Pelikan will IMO outperform pens costing many times more. A first pen that does not provide the smooth flowing magic that is possible will be a hard way to begin.

The NOS (or nice used) Sheaffer route is promising. I had a Sheaffer desk set back in my banking lawyer life, and it wrote like a dream. So does my daughter's Parker Sonnet.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up! I’ll have to look into some of these! Wow, do those pelikans jump up in price quickly! Any specific models amongst those brands mentioned you’d recommend I look into?

Let me look when I get home tomorrow night, I may have a pen that I can send you!

Tom
Tom, I’m at a loss for words. That is extremely generous of you sir! Thank you.
Tom, that is extremely generous of you, and by no means necessary. I wanted to clarify that.

The thought of someone even considering doing something like that for me is extremely humbling. So thank you sir.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me, I consider a couple things.
1. I want a permanent ink, either iron gall (Diamine Registrars) or something like DeAtramentis Document Ink.
1a. That means I need a pen that has it's own reservoir or takes a converter
2. The other thing starting out is you don't know what width nib you will prefer. Several Twisbi and Kaweco models allow you to buy other nibs. Many many brands require you to buy another pen.

I only own three pens
1. Kaweco Sport - Medium, I'd start here. Interchangeable nibs
2. Lamy 2000 - Fine
3. Waterman Hemisphere - Fine

Top Bottom