What's new

Best beer ever!

This isn't one of the best tasting ever, but the surroundings made it memorable....

Land's End Inn - Homer, Alaska

$IMAG0136.jpg

A Dale's Pale Ale after hiking ~20 miles in panic mode to evacuate around 100 campers from some New Mexico mountains in a race with a forest fire.

Mine would have to be a Becks, believe it or not. Eight months into a year-long deployment to Iraq I got R&R and picked Germany. The beer in question was thoroughly enjoyed trackside at Frankfurt Hbf, along with a plate of brats off a cart. This beer certainly wasn't the best of the trip, but as the OP stated, was the most memorable and was also my first "legal" drink. Not that I've ever had any extra-legal drinks. :001_cool:

The best beer for me was actually an aged homebrew. I had primed the beer with sorghum and let sit for 2 weeks. The first one I cracked open spewed everywhere due to being over carbonated. It was 80% foam and 20% liquid.

Fast forward 3 years later, I had about a half dozen packed away in my garage from when I moved. I was outside barbecuing and telling an acquaintance about my brewing exploits. I dug out a bottle as proof and he asked if he could try it. After warning him it had sat for 3 summers in an uninsulated garage I let him pop one open. To my surprise not only had the carbonation settled, but it had an amazing refined flavor. This was an ale that drank like a lager! Best brew to date!

Speaking of which, I may go crack one of the two remaining beers open for tonight's NCAA championship.

One other note. There's a local brewery in Lexington, Ky called West and Sixth. Their amber tastes exactly like the batch I brewed before this aged batch.

I wrote this elsewhere but it fits here. I spent six years at Benning and the summers tend towards the warm side. the beer was almost always a Shiner Bock. the last time I did the following was Christmas Eve. I'd spent the day clearing brush at mom's and her newly renovated shower/bathroom had finally finished curing.

"There is something deeply satisfying, and immensely pleasurable about being able to take a cocktail into a shower.

Back in the day I'd come home after a week or two in the field, and momma was having no part of my stinking up HER house with my funk. BDU top, t-shirt, boots and socks off in the driveway, step into the laundry room, pants into the washer, grab two beers and direct to the shower, do not pass go. Cold beer and hot soap? Damn near heaven. a little lovin' after? Perfection."

I've had plenty of other good beers, and the memorably delicious ones tend to be when hot and sweaty or tired.

I spent six years at Benning and the summers tend towards the warm side.

"There is something deeply satisfying, and immensely pleasurable about being able to take a cocktail into a shower.

Benning warm...understatement by...ALOT!!!!! Shower beer is always an excellent choice after the field!!:thumbup::a54:

My best beer moment came when I decided to give stouts another shot. I realized early on that I thought Guiness was awful and that all stouts were like that. Then I tried Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout... Heaven in my mouth. From this point forward, I always try new stouts, no matter where I am at. Restaurants that have their own beer always have had great stouts for me as well (BJ's, Destihl, etc.)

Some friends and I just completed a sponsored 100 mile bicycle ride. The temperature that day was in the high eighties. We decided to go eat afterwards at a steak house. They had several beers on tap as well as bottled. The restaurant kept the beer glasses in a freezer and ice cold. I downed two large glasses of Amstel in less that 5 minutes. A beer never tasted so good after riding a bicycle for six hours.

When stationed in Scotland for three years, my favorite was Tennent's 80 Schilling. Other great beers in my opinion are Newcastle Brown Ale and Amstel Light.

Now I'm older, fatter and trying to get back into shape and I drink Budweiser 55.

Frank

Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing Company. I woke up early on a saturday. The beer had been iced down overnight in a large chest cooler. I drank it bright and early on an empty stomach and it tasted devine and went down like icy cold liquid silk.

The fifth beer is usually the best one. Just kidding..... no wait it really is.

Seriously, beer always tasted best on a hot day after having to work for it. In Ohio I'd toss a couple beers in the freezer while cutting the lawn. An ice cold beer in the shade admiring your freshly cut lawn is truly a beautiful thing. I've done this many times with whatever beer was on hand at the time. A home brew that we made does stand out as being about the best beer I've ever had doing this.

Living in Arizona now I do miss walking in the cool fresh cut lawn in bare feet.

Wow, now that's scary, Orchestrion. We got to watch the '11 New Mexico wildfires up around Los Alamos at a safe distance near a friend's house in Santa Fe (beautiful state otherwise, by the way). But actually, I would say my 1st Dale's Pale Ale was the best beer I ever had-like a revelation, really. I'll add every one I've had since, including this really awesome one on a trout stream yesterday:

You certainly earned a beer that day.
I've never tried Dale's but have read that it is a really excellent beer. Maybe I'll pick some up this weekend and give it a try.

I toured the Victory brewery a few years back and through the brewery they give samples of different beers along the way. Golden Monkey was toward the end, but I remember our guide, one of the brewers, telling us what its like in the brewery when they make that. He said they always utter the same phrase when they talk about it - 'Golden Monkey will get you naked and funky'. It was funny and it stuck with me.

Great beer btw.

Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing Company. I woke up early on a saturday. The beer had been iced down overnight in a large chest cooler. I drank it bright and early on an empty stomach and it tasted devine and went down like icy cold liquid silk.

Early 20's. First Shiner Bock in a cold mug.

First Hoegaarden.

40th birthday had a Petrus Red. It is tied with Duchess De Bourgeone. Belgian Sour Ales. They are not for everyone but are awesome.

My "black lab stout" chocolate stout. Its now a year and a half in the bottle, and is just good stuff. I put 24 bottles in my dad's basement for aging purposes (and to keep them around a while) and there are still 15 bottles! :) I'm planning on keeping a few around for 3-4 years. See how well they do.

Second to that would be Stone Arrogant Bastard. I get a bottle every now and then. Its not something I want more than once a month or so, but its a nice bitter strong beer :)

Everyday beer? My homebrew hefeweizen. Very similar to Weihenstephaner, but fresher. Most say they like mine better... And its so easy to make! I'll get a batch of that going soon. Its hard to beat a glass of Hefe on a hot summer day. Something very refreshing about it!

Top Bottom