What's new

Best beater watch

Dumb question, bbut, this is my first time replacing a watch band. is someone able to confirm how wide the Citizen eco-dive is? I believe 19mm?
Be sure to check the inside of the band. Some actually have the size of the strap printed there. My Citizen is a 21mm.

I guess “beater” gets defined by ones lifestyle. For my lifestyle a beater is an everyday watch that can be easily cleaned after an infant grandchild barfs on it or (s)he wasn’t quite finished before the diaper change started and emits substances on said watch. (All the above have happened). It also has to be able to function as a kitchen timer and be at home under the hood of a truck as well as be comfortable. FWIW, if I am going to do some activity that has a foreseeable likelihood of destroying a watch, I either accept the risk and don’t wear a watch or, more likely, consider the risk to my wrist and forego the event.

For me, a dive watch fills the beater role. I have dressier watches that I wear to the office. I also have a few winder queens that my wife likes. Those get worn sparingly and, in most cases are not my favs. I have 1 non-mechanical watch, a G-Shock, that I wore a couple of times a few years back and it now needs a new battery. It is useless in the kitchen as the chrono controls are too small and the watch is just too chunky.

I have cheaper watches and I have more expensive watches, but my beater for the last 20+ years has been my Submariner. It has a scratch or two on it, but that’s part of using a tool. The Sub has been in for a CLA twice since new. When it last went in, the tech noted a scratch and appeared shocked. He asked what I did to the watch. My reply was “life”.

Top Bottom