What's new

best beard oils?

I just started using Stirling Executive Man Beard oil and pre-shave oil and so far am pleased with it. The scent isn't over powering and fades in a reasonable amount of time so it isn't in your face all day and my beard feels softer according to my bride.

The beard oil Gillette offers as part of their King Gillette line is pretty good. I like the way it smells and it keeps my beard moisturized.

New beard oil...
Screenshot_20210212-144810_Instagram.jpg

I've just begun actually properly caring for my beard. The Aberlite Pro was the big game changer for my unruly curly nasty mess. The only balms, oils, and beard washes I have used are Grave Before Shave. The GBS oils work great and smell good. The balms, moustache wax, pomeade, brushes, combs, etc are nice too.

I am definitely going to look into other companies but my co worker who convinced me to just not shave for 6+ months swears by GBS and Aberlite.

I've been looking for a beard oil the past couple days that seemed more health oriented than hype. Argan oil seemed best, but no virtually no beard oils used mainly argan oil. I'm starting to think it'd be best to buy a couple more reputable carrier oils and make my own concocation. Maybe like, 50 percent argan, little coconut, grape seed, and something else? Anyone make their own beard oil? Any suggestions for buying quality but not overpriced carrier oils?

Edit* Scent is extremely unimportant in relation to just keeping my skin and hair healthy. Slight preference for unscented.

I've been looking for a beard oil the past couple days that seemed more health oriented than hype. Argan oil seemed best, but no virtually no beard oils used mainly argan oil. I'm starting to think it'd be best to buy a couple more reputable carrier oils and make my own concocation. Maybe like, 50 percent argan, little coconut, grape seed, and something else? Anyone make their own beard oil? Any suggestions for buying quality but not overpriced carrier oils?

Edit* Scent is extremely unimportant in relation to just keeping my skin and hair healthy. Slight preference for unscented.
I have a lot of experience with beard oils as I like to grow my beard during the winter. That said, I still use beard oils even when I shave, I think they are awesome for the skin and help soften my scruff. Just like shave soaps, there are tons of amazing artisan beard companies that make awesome products. Most of these companies make unscented oil. Here are some of my favorites:

Black Rebel Beard Company - Strong scents, but amazing oil.
Live Bearded - Simple ingredients: argan, jojoba, and grapeseed.
Rugged Smuggler - Simpler ingredients: argan and jojoba. That's it.
Luxurious Bastard - Complicated scents, but a great feeling oil. He makes an unscented version.
Badass Beard Care - Another good one, I really like their "Ladies Man" scent.
Whiskey and Hardtack - Meadowfoam seed oil!

These are just a few. If you just want an oil that works and you grab from amazon - I'd go with live beardred or badass beard care. Rugged smuggler is great - and his scents are light. Hope that helps!

I've messed with making my own and argan oil is more expensive that jojoba oil, which itself costs about twice as much as sweet almond oil, which is probably why you've had a hard time. Making your own is probably your best bet.

I made some with 50 percent argan, 25 percent jojoba, 12.5 grapeseed and 12.5 almond. Been using it about a week and it doesn't feel great. I do need to wait a little longer cause there are a couple other things that could have been factors, like I trimmed my beard a tiny bit. But right now my beard hairs feel kinda dry and the sides of my jawline feel dry/cakey/one side had a pimple.

I used to make and sell my own beard oils at local salons years ago. Argan oil, while also being expensive, isn't great as a main oil because it strengthens, promotes growth and thickness. When you're going for softness, feel, skin health, etc., an oil that's mainly comprised of Argan isn't going to meet expectations. If you want Argan for some strength, then lower the amount used. Try a 33% coconut, 33% jojoba, 16.5% grapeseed, and 16.5% Argan mixture. Do yourself a favor and add a light scent. Otherwise, your beard will just smell like oil. If you don't need the Argan, you can just up the grapeseed to 33% and reduce the cost some. Also, depending on where you live you might want to use a fractionated coconut oil.

Good oils are expensive, so unless you're buying in bulk, it's best to find a maker you like and support them.

After years of using Sussex Beard oil (Canadian artisan)
Got a beard Proraso kit (Azur lime) had it for about half a year.. until I tried it. Now my girlfriend is addicted to the scent and have the whole range of Azur lime now.

Luxurious Bastard Beard Co hands down. I only use his products and I will not ever not once use any other products in my beard. His pine tar soap is badass and his Co wash is great. Sents are strong and last all day. And guess what... yep, no wax in his butter also the way it should be. No overhyped bull****. You would be doing a disservice if you are not supporting this fellow bearded man's business. Great and I mean great customer service. The man has his number on the site so you can call or text him personally... nuff said.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Top Bottom