What's new

Best Barber Shop Scent?

I agree with you about stirling being too powdery but I love the performance. Took me a while to figure it out. I’ll buy their soap again, in a different scent.

Not your traditional barbershop scent but I'm freakishly smitten with GhostTown Barber by Chiseled Face.
+1 on Ghost Town Barber (GTB)! I ordered the Barbershop sampler from West Coast Shaving--I liked the Stirling Barbershop, but agree it is a bit baby powdery but the performance of the Stirling soap base is great, not sure I can handle a tub of it. I picked Barrister and Mann Seville and GTB as the best for last, but never got to the GTB sample. When WCS offered free shipping earlier this month, I bought a GTB tub and the aftershave--non-traditional, but great smelling on use, and paired with the aftershave is even better because it has cooling menthol that settles down and lingers faintly the rest of the day. I think it's the combination of the gunpowder and leather scents that I enjoy, and often open the tub to take a whiff every now and again...

Mickey Lee's "The Kraken" was my favorite barbershop scent until they unfortunately closed up shop. Zingariman's " The Wanderer" is actually pretty close to that same scent that Mickey Lee's achived with the Kraken profile, and Zingariman's soaps are excellent performers also, just a little too soft for me, as far as the soap goes.

+1 on Ghost Town Barber (GTB)! I ordered the Barbershop sampler from West Coast Shaving--I liked the Stirling Barbershop, but agree it is a bit baby powdery but the performance of the Stirling soap base is great, not sure I can handle a tub of it. I picked Barrister and Mann Seville and GTB as the best for last, but never got to the GTB sample. When WCS offered free shipping earlier this month, I bought a GTB tub and the aftershave--non-traditional, but great smelling on use, and paired with the aftershave is even better because it has cooling menthol that settles down and lingers faintly the rest of the day. I think it's the combination of the gunpowder and leather scents that I enjoy, and often open the tub to take a whiff every now and again...
I'll have to check the AS out. I bought the GTB soap 'blind' just because it was like $9 on Amazon one day when I was checking out their Santa Paula after using a sample. I got lucky. I still need to grab a jar of Santa Paula.

Mickey Lee's "The Kraken" was my favorite barbershop scent until they unfortunately closed up shop. Zingariman's " The Wanderer" is actually pretty close to that same scent that Mickey Lee's achived with the Kraken profile, and Zingariman's soaps are excellent performers also, just a little too soft for me, as far as the soap goes.
The Kraken was one of two or three of the barbershop samples I received from WCS--I liked it and then looked into buying some and the place is out of business and left me thinking "WTH, why let me sample something I can no longer purchase, that's a real Taco Bell move IMO; "R.I.P. 7-Layer Burrito, no one holds a candle to you..." (gratuitous methane reference/pun intended)

The Kraken was one of two or three of the barbershop samples I received from WCS--I liked it and then looked into buying some and the place is out of business and left me thinking "WTH, why let me sample something I can no longer purchase, that's a real Taco Bell move IMO; "R.I.P. 7-Layer Burrito, no one holds a candle to you..." (gratuitous methane reference/pun intended)
If you liked the scent of The Kraken, and have not tried Zingariman's The Wanderer, I would highly recommend it. To my nose, the scents are fairly identical, plus you get the advantages of an awesome performing product.

WSP Barbershop is great. I like all WSP soaps....great performance and last a long time.

Check out PAA Clubguy (supposed to be like Clubman) and their Good Vibrations (I have this and I have to keep myself from bathing in it....haha). If you want samples, you'll have to get their aftershave in the same scents as they don't have all their soaps available for samples.

For me:

best Barbershop soap: Seville

Best representation of barbershop scent: Mikes

Best AS: Of course Clubman

Stirling Barbershop smelled like cotton candy to my nose.

I tried a lot of Barbershop scented soaps and this is my favorite.

6AF41BAF-9A40-448F-9C02-BD370A720263.jpeg

Just tried B&M Seville for the first time, and really enjoy it. I'm finding the range of what is considered "barbershop" is pretty broad. Seville hits my nose with lime scent.

I always wonder about the “barbershop” label. Is it supposed to smell like the soap the barbershops used or smell like an actual barbershop. If it’s the latter, I haven’t run into a soap that smells like the actual classic barbershop nor would I want something to smell like that.

This is what I remember our barbershop smelling like when I was a kid:

EE56CB7B-BB22-4995-9EC0-5E439C777AED.jpeg

Well, maybe the Playboys had no scent. But the barbershop always had them on the table in the waiting area. And I would always hope someone would leave one open so I could catch a peek.

Top Bottom