What's new

Best Barber Shop Scent?

My memories as a kid going to the barbershop makes me think of Pinaud products like the aftershave and talc.

As mentioned this will be a personal take from where your from though.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks. I have Tabac and I like it...but again (for me) that's not what my barbershop smelled like.

Right, this is why it's impossible to answer the question. You're asking a bunch of random strangers to recommend scents that you think smell like barbershop. The best one. And then, that are compatible with your skin. You see the problem of obtaining any truly helpful info? Not that it's a waste of time, you'll get some very good recommendations and if you randomly pick one that suits you, well then winner!

Enjoy the journey :thumbsup:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Maybe I'm confusing Seville with another soap. I thought it smelled spicy, not powdery.

Maybe. It's very powder forward to my nose. But your nose might interpret it slightly differently.

I get; powder, citrus, and some spice from basil/anise.

My memories as a kid going to the barbershop makes me think of Pinaud products like the aftershave and talc.

As mentioned this will be a personal take from where you from though.
Yes, for sure...I just wanted a few to choose from. I have the Clubman shaving cream. There's something unique about that scent...maybe something I remember growing up? I have to try it soon.

Right, this is why it's impossible to answer the question. You're asking a bunch of random strangers to recommend scents that you think smell like barbershop. The best one. And then, that are compatible with your skin. You see the problem of obtaining any truly helpful info? Not that it's a waste of time, you'll get some very good recommendations and if you randomly pick one that suits you, well then winner!

Enjoy the journey :thumbsup:
Well, I got some great recommendations for razors and blades that I'm happy with...so why not? This is all new to me, so I have to start somewhere, right?

I think Pinaud when I think barber shop scent. The Classic Pinaud clubman cream though isn't for brushes. I was bummed when I tried with mine. Found it to be pretty much a hand applied cream. The clubman shave soap has the same scent. It's a soft soap but lathers great with a brush. I love its scent.

Just tried Pinaud Clubman Cream for the first time today...and I loved it...especially the scent. :biggrin1: I agree...THAT'S a Barber Shop scent if I ever smelled one! Another thing I like about it is that I was in a hurry...didn't have time for my normal shave ritual...so I just wet my face, threw on some Clubman, and got a decent shave within 5 minutes 🏁

I will probably keep Clubman Cream for when I'm in a hurry. I much prefer to take my time with soap and brush!

I may also get their aftershave or some of their other products. That scent is amazing! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've tried a ton of barbershop scents recently - not all by any means, but many - and I'll agree that WSP Barbershop is the best IMO. WSP Barbershop with a splash of Floids Suave is actually a really nice combo in my book - I haven't even opened the WSP Barbershop aftershave splash yet because I like the WSP soap/Floid's splash combo so much.

Seville is barbershopy, but more in the Acqua Di Parma Colonia vein with that citrus/powder scent blend. I like it a lot, but it's not 100% American barbershop to my nose.

But as others have mentioned, all this gets complicated by what you think a barbershop should smell like. If your barber back in the day always used Clubman, that might be what you consider barbershop. (This might get me kicked off the boards, but...I'm not a huge fan of Clubman. Too sweet for me. Please don't tell the mods ). WSP Barbershop iirc was based off of Barbasol (correct me if I'm wrong) but ramped up a step or two in sophistication. My dad taught me to shave using Barbasol so that's what my idea of barbershop is for some reason.

I've tried a ton of barbershop scents recently - not all by any means, but many - and I'll agree that WSP Barbershop is the best IMO. WSP Barbershop with a splash of Floids Suave is actually a really nice combo in my book - I haven't even opened the WSP Barbershop aftershave splash yet because I like the WSP soap/Floid's splash combo so much.

Seville is barbershopy, but more in the Acqua Di Parma Colonia vein with that citrus/powder scent blend. I like it a lot, but it's not 100% American barbershop to my nose.

But as others have mentioned, all this gets complicated by what you think a barbershop should smell like. If your barber back in the day always used Clubman, that might be what you consider barbershop. (This might get me kicked off the boards, but...I'm not a huge fan of Clubman. Too sweet for me. Please don't tell the mods ). WSP Barbershop iirc was based off of Barbasol (correct me if I'm wrong) but ramped up a step or two in sophistication. My dad taught me to shave using Barbasol so that's what my idea of barbershop is for some reason.
I ordered the WSP :thumbup1: My Dad used Barbasol too...and our Barber used Clubman!

Ok...just got the Stirling Barbershop 💈
No offense, but I’m not a big fan.
Actually, I’m not even a little fan!
All I can smell is Johnson’s baby powder
👶🏼

Stirling Soap Company Shave Soap, Barbershop-West Coast Shaving

=
0AB70996-BE45-4834-828B-BC172990F917.jpeg

I like Stirling Barber Shop ok, and one of wife's favs. But it doesn't remind me of any barbershop of my youth.
A coworker gifted me a Stirling Barbershop tub he wasn't fond of. To me it has such a strong vanilla scent that I tend not to use it but occasionally. Oddly enough my wife seems to favorably comment on it if she wanders in while I'm using it so maybe I should use it more :)

Top Bottom