What's new

Best Bang for the Buck DE OC Razor Vintage OR New?

Going to check out a quality open comb but don't want an expensive collectors' example cost involved.
(But maybe compared to modern offerings, a collectors' example would be less money?)
Hope you have some good directions to look at.
Don't care if it's refurb or newish, but needs to be something other than zinc construction. Stainless? Brass? Chrome?
The open combs seem to be calling, and I must heed their cry.
Currently using a couple sweet Techs and a SuperSpeed.
Love the Forum and the wetshave culture.
The old-timers had it right, IMHO.
Thanks.

IMHO

For a modern razor hard to beat the Wolfman OC for pricey and the Fatip Picollo for a less expense option if you don't mind an aggressive razor or the Parker 24/26 C if you want a milder option

Vintage Gillette New models ,either Brit Raised Flat Bottom or New Deluxe for more money or the New SC or LC razors are great shavers in a lower price point

Good luck with your search, open combs are a great option

Glenn

It's almost impossible to decide between vintage and new since not everyone has had experience with both types to decide from.

That said, I will say for their time both types are equal in the time that they served.

Best bang for the buck?

Ball-End Old-Types can be had for under $10 on auction sites, easily. It's mighty aggressive though. Earlier Gillette Old-Types can usually be found for around $20, depending on the condition.

I've done both!
Vintage: Gillette NEW or pre war Tech.
I have sold or given away all my new production razors except one that is on its way from the maker.

IMHO

For a modern razor hard to beat the Wolfman OC for pricey and the Fatip Picollo for a less expense option if you don't mind an aggressive razor or the Parker 24/26 C if you want a milder option

Vintage Gillette New models ,either Brit Raised Flat Bottom or New Deluxe for more money or the New SC or LC razors are great shavers in a lower price point

Good luck with your search, open combs are a great option

Glenn

And the Fatip is brass (but as Glenn says it is more agressive).

Parker, Maggard, Fatip - all these are quite reasonably priced. Fatip is more aggressive but that said, they seem to have incredibly good manners in the shave. I was impressed. Just watch your blade alignment when you load your Fatip and it will reward you with an awesomely close, smooth shave. I have a Grande and that razor is one of my favorites

I've got a handful of both. None of my vintage (2 Old Types, 2 News, Tech and Slim) shave as close as my fave moderns (ATT H2 and S2, Wolfman adjusted to .74mm blade gap, R41, FaTip). I prefer the look of the vintage, and feature them on my counter, but don't use them.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gillette NEW, long or short comb. Get a beat up one for around $10 and if it works for you and you love it, send it out for a shiny nickel plating job.

The only OC DE I've used is a ball end OLD, I've had it about a month and I love it. They are dirt cheap, so I say even if you get something else grab one of these too. In fairness though, I have a hard time getting a good shave out of a Tech. I'm a bit of an edge junkie my fat boy is always set to 9. I tried an open comb Micromatic for the first time this morning and really liked it too.

I bought a Maggard OC head, I'm very happy with it, won't compare it to my news or LC or SC, but it looks like an old, but shaves a lot easier,

Well if you are enjoying the Tech and Super Speed ramsa, I feel safe in saying there is a NEW out there for you.

U.S. made Red and Black sets are nice and are easy to come by.

English RFB (Raised Flat Bottom) News are especially sweet and come in 2 and 3 piece design. Some of the standouts for me are, the No.77, this Fat Handle NEW or this 30s 2 piece.
You do not need to drop big money for any of these if you just keep a eye open and take your time.

Good hunting.

Go vintage. Why buy a Zamak copy that will break when you can buy a plated brass original that will last a lifetime?

For modern, I have a Fatip Piccolo and a Maggard's OC. For vintage, I have Old Types, New Deluxe and New LCs. Of all of them, I prefer the New LC.

It's quite amazing hear about 10$ for an oldie Gillette. I had just bought one flat tip rocker for 35€ and replating with shipping it will raise up to 75, for an amount of roughly 110€. Where those 10 bucks offers come from? Just curious. Few months ago I bought a 155€ ATT M2 Atlas handle. Now, it's about 200€ with some discount. People seem buy far better than me...

If your need is for something other than zamak (i.e. brass or stainless), then the previous advice for the Gillette NEW is the way to go, IMO. Perhaps the best design ever from Gillette, but you will find it to be considerably more aggressive than the Tech and SS you are currently using. Prices for NEWs have gone up, and the standard gold wash finish will most often be found in poor condition. Of course, as long as the mechanics are sound, the shave won't be affected. And, if you get one and find you really like it (likely), then you can send it out for replating. The result of that will be a beautiful, lifetime razor.

For new, the Fatip (all brass) is about the only game in town, if you don't want to pony up the $$ for stainless. The Fatip is a very aggressive razor. It's also quite good, but you may find the aggressiveness an acquired taste. I like mine, but for me it's too much razor to shave with every day.

Top Bottom