What's new

Best angle for Merkur Progress ?

Hi everyone. For those owners of a Merkur Progress, what angle do you find best for shaving ? Handle closer to the face or handle further away from the face ? Apologies for the lack of correct terminology.

Thank you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi everyone. For those owners of a Merkur Progress, what angle do you find best for shaving ? Handle closer to the face or handle further away from the face ? Apologies for the lack of correct terminology.

Thank you.
No apologies necessary my friend.

I get all confused when people start talking about steep, obtuse, etc....

I quit talking like that when I first noticed girls. True story doggone!

It's all up to what works best for you.
There is two types of DE shavers. Top cap riders or Baseplate riders. In other words, A top cap rider starts with only the top cap of the razor touching skin. Then lower the handle closer to the skin until it shaves. This means the top cap and the blade are touching.
Just the opposite for the other type of shaver. I have found that when new to DE shaving the top cap way is easier on your face. Then after you learn your razor you find the sweet spot where your centered on the blade and get the most proficient shave. But this takes a little practice.

So its up to you and time.

I read elsewhere that mantic59 thinks that it should be "handle closer to the face"...
He suggests start with cap on face and lower handle. I have not seen him imply shave at a steep angle. There is a little more curvature in the cap of the Progress but not dramatic.
Try for a ~30 degree blade angle but you need to try the different gap settings to suit your needs.

Last edited:
The tangent line touching the top cap and the guard induces a plane-- this is neutral, and a place to start.

The interior geometry of the top cap, the blade's characteristics, and the shaver's tastes allow for a personal/idiosyncratic conversation between the shaver and the razor.

That's how I look at it, anyway. So. You know. Can't help you other than to wish you much enjoyment while you figure it out for yourself.

I will guess its somewhere between 20-40 degrees.... . You can experiment which angle works best for you (just do not press down)....let it glide. It's a very nice razor...., I use it # 2-4

I've used the Merkur Progress almost exclusive for 6 years, and the main reason for that is how well it shaves for me at 20-30 degrees. I need to dive steep for some reason, that's why vintage Gillettes I've tried never worked for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Thank you.
I found it confusing when I first started learning traditional wet shaving also, I made this simple photo to explain things better .
Razor angle 2.jpg

I was going to post this last night but my computer crashed and it was getting late. Better late than never. Hope this helps explain the different angles of shaving.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That @jmd Dude just helped remove all doubt of my intellect..... I'm gonna need to hire a translator for these geometry type threads!

Reactions: jmd
The geometry around the edge of the blade -- the blade gap, blade exposure, distance from base edge to blade edge, and distance from blade edge to cap edge -- along with how much pressure the blade puts on your skin, and how tight you stretch the skin -- all affect what handle angle _you_ will find comfortable. The width of the blade (edge-to-edge) affects the blade exposure and blade gap.

In the Progress, the blade gap, and distance from base edge to cap edge, vary as you turn the knob on the bottom. So what's good for me may not be good for you.

Try this:

. . . Shave, but don't go for a BBS finish.

. . . Set the Progress knob to minimum gap (which should be 1, if everything is adjusted correctly).

. . . Put the razor on a vertical section of your face, with the handle vertical (that's "riding the bar", above). With _no pressure on the razor_,
. . . . you should be able to slide the razor down your skin, without cutting any hair.

. . . Tilt the handle away from your face, until you're at an angle where the blade is _just barely_ cutting your beard hairs.

. . . That angle of tilt is the least you can use.

. . . Hold the handle away from your face -- in the "riding the cap" position, above. Again, with _no pressure_ on the razor,
. . . . you should be able to run the razor down your face, without cutting hair.

. . . Now move the handle closer to your face, until you're at and angle where the blade is _just barely_ cutting your beard hairs.

. . . . That angle of tilt is the most you can use.

Somewhere in between those two angles, is _your_ "best shaving angle". For me, it's pretty close to "riding the bar". It may be different for you.

With a Progress, you should be able to find a combination of shaving angle, and knob setting, that gives you a close shave, without razor burn or cuts. Nobody can predict what that combination will be -- it variest with your skin, your lather, your blade, and your skill.

. Charles

Top Bottom