What's new

Best and worst Halloween candy?

As I sit here munching on a few "extra" fun sizes I figured I'd pose the question.

Me:
Best: Milky Way all the way.
Worst: Necco wafers. They were like little discs of chalk.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Best: Popcorn balls

Worst: that no name chocolate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oh man, for me it was the classic bars; Snickers, Reeses, and PayDay. Also, there used to be these bags of gum that were in the form of little baseballs. Coloured white with the little red stitches and all. About 1/2 inch in diameter they were great. There was a certain house that gave them out each year.

Worst; Uh yeah, Necco wafers. Ugh. Another were those godawful chocolate covered marshmallow bars. They were always cracked and somewhat dried out. I couldn't stand them.

I will rate the homemade stuff alone since the traditional treats were in a class by themselves. Caramel and candy apples, popcorn balls, hot apple cider, homemade cookies(biscuits to our British brethren) particularly snicker doodles and monsters. The best.

Reeses and KitKats
Sweetarts and no-name compressed sugar powder candies.

Homemades are a special class unto themselves. Ya, right on Todd!

Why are people always on Necco's case. They're just little disks of flavored sugar. No chalk. Just the cornstarch to keep them from sticking together before they dry. I bought a whole case just before the plant shut down to make sure I had enough to tide me over until Spangler gets them back on the market.

I'll grant it took awhile to learn to appreciate some of the spicy flavors but they're all good.

I don't think I have a true best or worst. There are very few candles I don't enjoy, including the unpopular ones. However, dollar store quality mockulate is an exception. That is gross. But if someone is handing out chocolate I'll be happy to take a Hershey Special Dark.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was talking to a barber today during a haircut...we were saying that the popcorn balls and candy apples can't be given out anymore...the world has went to hell. I always liked the popcorn balls and candy apples.

The barber here can't even use a straight in the state I'm in at the moment due to state regulations that a straight has to be sterilized to hospital quality and the machine that does that costs thousands. I told her about the inexpensive shavette blades. One of the barbers at home just dunked the blade in some barbicide.

Anyways, as for candy, in case anyone shows up here tomorrow, supposed to rain, I picked up some bags of individual wrapped Reese's cups and Hershey's chocolate bars. I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry...don't want to hose off eggs from the side of the house.

We are fans of Necco wafers at my house, especially my wife. We have bought cases and are hoarding.

Favorite Halloween candy growing up and I suppose now would be Milky Way and any Hershey's chocolate product.

Worst is candy corn. Was never a fan of the home made stuff unless my family made it.

Have Almond Joys at the ready. We average three urchins.

As a kid I loved any sort of candy bar and Tootsie Roll pop. Hated apples, popcorn balls, candy corn. Gum was okay.

The local pet store handed out plastic bags filled with a cup of water + a goldfish.; the next day they sold a lotta goldfish bowls.

The dentist gave out toothbrushes.

I was talking to a barber today during a haircut...we were saying that the popcorn balls and candy apples can't be given out anymore...the world has went to hell. I always liked the popcorn balls and candy apples.

The barber here can't even use a straight in the state I'm in at the moment due to state regulations that a straight has to be sterilized to hospital quality and the machine that does that costs thousands. I told her about the inexpensive shavette blades. One of the barbers at home just dunked the blade in some barbicide.

Anyways, as for candy, in case anyone shows up here tomorrow, supposed to rain, I picked up some bags of individual wrapped Reese's cups and Hershey's chocolate bars. I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry...don't want to hose off eggs from the side of the house.

Yeah, I can just see it now; Did you document your source for the corn kernels? Did you make certain the crop was hovered over by a medicine man and properly vetted by the health authorities? No? Well you madam granny should be stoned to death with your own popcorn balls for your savage attempt tp poison my child! Lord knows what would happen if no organic flour, sugar, and eggs were used in the sugar cookies.

Best chocolate bars: Snickers, Mars, Reese's cups, Wunderbar, Crispy Crunch
Best candy: Twizzlers, sours, Rockets (Canadian version of Necco wafers)

Worst chocolate bars: Oh Henry, Aero, Crunch
Worst candy: Don't know the name but these horrible molasses like toffy that looked like little dog turds and tasted like burnt hair.

<Worst candy: Don't know the name but these horrible molasses like toffy that looked like little dog turds and tasted like burnt hair.>

Not Sugar Daddys, Squirrels, or Mary Janes, right? I liked all of those. I have never liked Reese's Cups, but I know I am in the minority. M&Ms probably belong on the best chocolate list, except they could come in the tiniest of packages. I could argue that Fireballs belong on the best candy list. Points off for small size though. I agree re Twizzlers, for me red or black, but I am probably in the minority on black. I could argue for Good and Plenty, too.

I do not recall whether Smarties and Sweet Tarts have come up.

Actually, except for candy corn and generic hard candy, candy cigarettes were pretty useless, too, most Halloween candy worked for me.

I do not recall whether Smarties and Sweet Tarts have come up.

They are still one of my favorites, although I rather liked the SweetTarts more. (And yeah I could taste a difference)

The really best thing for me was finding a house that handed out whole candy bars (not those little bite-sized things).
The absolute worst (even worse than getting fruit) was getting cheap no-name chocolate. I'd always end up with a package of "gold coins" and they'd always be horrible.

And I like NECCO wafers. They go really good with a can of Moxie.

Since we seldom went Trick or Treating (rural area, with distance to neighbors measured in miles), I can only comment on the candy at that time of years. Absolute best was Three Musketeers and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Absolute worst was liqourish in any form.

In between were things like flavored wax Halloween whistles. These were orange, were like a Pan flute, and were made of flavored wax. You could blow them and make off-key sounds, then chew them. Remember, this was wax.

There were also small, wax, bottles of flavored drink. You bit the top off and drained them. There was just enough for a taste.

Top Bottom