What's new

Best and worst aftershave purchase

For my best I'd say Captain's Choice Sandalwood. Runner up is myrsol Agua Balsamica.

Worst is Aqua Velva but I'll still wear it in public. I don't actively hate it.

I like a wide variety of scents, but the one I cannot stand is Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene. It is a cologne rather than an aftershave. It is supposed to be a oriental woody fragrance for men, but the only thing I can smell is the geranium.

I love the floral top notes of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, but once the flowers fade, you are left with a musky smell that some have described as cat urine. Since I have two cats, I know what they mean. They say on the bottle that it can be used as a body splash, but I cannot imaging anyone doing that.
I am with you. Grey Flannel is just repulsive to me. I cannot abide it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Best: Dominica Bay Rum, Imperial Barber Bergamot Aftershave, Brut aftershave balm (sadly, discontinued)

Worst: Tabac aftershave balm

Best: hmmmm maybe Aqua Velva Musk. Absolutely intoxicating to my nose. Smooth glycerin, with little burn. Settles to a warm scent the wife likes.
Worst: Fine Green Vetiver. If I had to imagine what a forest pixie's armpit smelled like, this would be it to me.

Underdog: Veg. Everyday I used it was pure pleasure.
Honorable mention: Cryogen. nuff said.

Man I just got into the musk and it is so great! Also cryogen on the way!

Best: Proraso Red (Sandalwood) ASL: Fabulous scent and a wonderful spa treatment for the face. :001_wub:
upload_2018-9-23_16-48-56.png

Worst: Cella ASL: The scent nearly made me throw up. I wore it once for a full day (simply because washing it off didn't work). That was a very memorable day in the worst possible way. :nonod:
upload_2018-9-23_16-54-50.png

Of course many people love it. If you live in the UK and are one of them, do PM me and I'll PIF it to you. :wink2:

BEST: Proraso Green, B&M Reserve Cool, L&L Grooming Bandwagon, Ice Blue Aqua Velva, Furbo Vintage Blu, Myrsol Blu, Pitralon Classic, Speick, Christian Dior Eau Sauvage, a few others.

WORST: Fine Platinum, most aquatic scents, Nivea, Cella, Pitralon Polar, many many more...

I used to blindbuy aftershave splashes but gave it up - very long between the keepers...

Best: (feel/effect) Osage Rub
Best: (everything else) AV Musk, Pinaud Citrus Musk, AV Original Sport (the green stuff)
Worst: Pinaud Clubman, Pinaud Musk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Best is probably Musgo Real "corker" (some NOS bottles of the old, cork-label splash.) Honourable mention to Speick. Lots of other great ones vying for third place.

Worst? Brut. Not so much because it's a bad aftershave ... but because I grabbed the bottle of cologne next to the bottle of aftershave and didn't notice until it was too late for a return. Oh well.

I look around and find eight bottles of aftershave.

Best is probably Gillette Cool Wave, because the scent is pleasant and layers with everything, plus decent face feel. Also the Barbasol Brisk. Screaming deal for a nice cooling menthol that smells and feels good.

Worst probably have to be Aqua Velva and the Vi-Jon Spice. Not because they're bad. I like the scents and the Aqua Velva gives terrific face feel, but the wife hates them and yelled at me for smelling like an old man.

Best: D.R. Harris Sandalwood/ Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge/ Floid IT Amber
Worst: hmmm.. Cella definitely sucks (typical modern cheap cologne smell) Pretty much anything that says "cedar" but ends up with that modern, sickly sweet, aquatic, Acqua di gio smell.

Best - 1. Dr. Jons Defiance 2. Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars

Many others are good

Worst - PAA La Tierra Mojada. Way too strong of a scent and long lasting. Diluted it even in Whitch Hazel and the scent is still overpowering.

I look around and find eight bottles of aftershave.

Best is probably Gillette Cool Wave, because the scent is pleasant and layers with everything, plus decent face feel.

Really? I like the initial smell from Gillette cool wave from the bottle; however, it finishes peppery smelling on me.

Worst? Brut. Not so much because it's a bad aftershave ... but because I grabbed the bottle of cologne next to the bottle of aftershave and didn't notice until it was too late for a return. Oh well.
Don't sweat it. The cologne will sting a little more and lasts a whopping 10-15 minutes longer. Its pretty much the same thing. Imo

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't sweat it. The cologne will sting a little more and lasts a whopping 10-15 minutes longer. Its pretty much the same thing. Imo

If it mattered, I'd probably just cut it with Witch Hazel and that'd be that.

Instead, I keep it with my athletic gear in case I'm in need of a post-work-out French shower.

Really? I like the initial smell from Gillette cool wave from the bottle; however, it finishes peppery smelling on me.

Interesting, I don't get that. But I'll say it works better in cooler weather because it does seem to go a bit better with cool-weather colognes or all by itself. I used eucalyptus-menthol aftershaves during the summer.

Top Bottom