What's new

best and safest way to clean de razors

Once in a while I will give it a scrub with dish soap and an old tooth brush. A pipe cleaner is good for getting into any channels.

After that I might give it a wipe down with Balistol and a soft cloth. Can’t hurt.

I was just thinking about getting Barbicide last week.
2 related questions:

How often do you have to replace the liquid?
(I ask because at barber shops I would only see plastic combs, clipper combs, etc..,
I've never seen anything metal in one of those containers and figured that something metal might shorten the lifespan of the liquid)

Is it really ok to dip a razor in that stuff?
(Wondering if it will do any harm to the metal long term)
I've been using it a bit over 15 years, now. Yes, dipping your razor in for a short while (30 seconds to a few minutes) is fine. If you forget, it will corrode aluminum and blacken bare brass (but not bronze) and silver. It does not "strip" OEM Gillette nickel, gold or silver, or have any effect on stainless or chrome. With simple cleaning exposures, no, there are no long term effects.

I will note if a razor's plating is irregular, or incomplete, Barbicide can definitely highlight that. My Back Roads Gold gold plated '34 Aristocrat, nickel Barbasol floating head, palladium Big Fellow and 1914 Bulldog are all fine.:wink: Take it as you will...

I replace the fluid about once a month. Fatty soaps and water quality effect the longevity. If it's cloudy at the bottom, switch it out.

I usually use my ultrasonic with a couple drops of dish soap every month or so. But honestly, toothbrush and dish soap works just as well. If a razor has lots of soap scum or mineral deposits, like if I get a vintage razor that hasn’t been rehabilitated yet, I’ll add a splash of vinegar to the ultrasonic, as the acid eats that stuff pretty well, but acid also eats metal with frequent / prolonged exposure, so I only do that when I feel it’s necessary.

I never clean mine beyond a good rinse after the shave. If I receive one in the mail I use Dawn dish soap and let is soak for a while before rinsing out. If it is really dirty I will brush it out with a toothbrush. Never use harsh cleaners or abrasives.

Top Bottom