What's new

best and safest way to clean de razors

I have a few stainless steel razorock de razors and I was wondering what is the easiest and safest way to clean them if they are dirty? do you just use soap and water or do you use something else? if you use soap, does it matter what kinda soap you use? is hand soap ok to use to do you need to use real soap? I don't keep my de razors as clean as I should. I usually just rinse them off with water after using them, but they are still dirty.

I wipe mine down each day so they do not get that way :) have a microfiber next to my stuff so that small quick wipe but I am kinda a neat freak big time like I stack my forks and spoons in the drawer and my soap I turn the label the correct way on the counter when done wipe the edge of the soap container off etc.. :) ahahahah

my dads old one when I found it I just used a soft toothbrush and some soap and was gentle

my Timeless OC inside the comb area I use a qtip with some Pinaud on it every once in a while to get those inside things

if its just soap some hot water would work ? if you have an espresso machine that has a steam wand use something to hold it and that steam wand :) used to do that with some jewelry at times and does a insane good job

Reactions: Kix
When I lived in a house with well water, I took the blade out and wiped the DE down after every shave. Now in a place with softer water, a rinse and quick rub with a wet paper towel is my usual clean when changing blades after 2 shaves. My "deep clean", a couple times a year, is just an old toothbrush and Dawn.

While I don't let my razors get to the stage of needing a serious cleaning most of the time, when I have, I use dish soap (I think we have Lemon scented Ajax at the moment) and a small nylon fingernail brush. Bigger and quicker than a toothbrush but still gets everywhere it needs to. In order to avoid those sorts of necessary cleanings, I got into the habit of taking my blade out after each shave, thoroughly rinsing and drying the razor, then rinsing and pat drying the blade (no wiping). Some of my razors go back to the 40's and are pristine for their age. If it's going on my face, it's going to be as clean and fresh as I can make it each and every day.

The second comment explains pretty much everything you need to clean your razors. I thoroughly clean my razors once every 5-6 months or so, since rinsing them with water after every shave as well as disassembling them and dry them up with a towel makes them look just as good as I've got them.

Reactions: Kix
I live in an area with extremely hard water, where the biggest challenge is limescale forming on the razor head.

I always rinse each razor under the tap after shaving. If it still looks a bit grotty then I give it a quick squirt of anti-limescale bathroom cleaner and a wipe with an old toothbrush (carefully avoiding the edges of the blade) before rinsing thoroughly with cold water. It's then left to dry in its stand.

I only disassemble a razor to change the blade. Then it gets a good scrub with the bathroom cleaner and toothbrush and a rinse before I fit the new blade.

I feel that taking a razor apart after every shave exposes you to unnecessary cuts and wears the threads for no good reason.

If I plan to store a razor I will dry it thoroughly or rinse it with distilled water and leave it to dry first.

I also live with the hard water and clean the razor daily with soap and an old toothbrush; it only takes a few seconds to complete the routine cleaning. The blade gets wiped with a pinch and draw through tissue and flipped over and then reloaded in the razor. About once a month the threads are lubricated with light machine oil which protects the threads and keeps the friction wear on the threads down.
All my razors are chrome or nickel plated and still in very good condition. The slim adjustable has not seen much use but gets the same treatment after each use.

I once heard a preacher, a man who was not mechanically gifted, talk about spending multiple Saturdays assembling a steel swing set for his children. The last instruction in the book was, "Every week check all bolts for tightness," and he wailed, "If I do that, that's all I'm going to have time to do!"

I rinse my razor well after every use, and disassemble and wipe with a microfiber cloth at every blade change - which with Artist Club blades is about every 10 shaves. Soap film accumulates between wipe-downs, but somehow I live with myself.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a large rotation of razors I enjoy very much so a lot of them just don't get the royal treatment like they use to of using a tooth brush with some liquid soap and just give them a scrub once in a while to get get rid of built up soap scum and dirt.
My routine mainly consists of taking the blade out of my DE razor rinsing it and tap drying it on my towel & placing it between 2 modified magnetic business cards for next use in more than likely a different DE razor and then I rinse my my razor parts and towel dry them as best as possible + blow out the threaded areas + Reassemble and never tighten them tight assembled and into the rack to dry, this way the top cap and base plate blade machined seat area can air dry better until its rotation comes up again.
Here is what I have done to give a razor a quick razor cleaning or my lather bowl when changing soaps every 2 days with a worn tooth brush.
Works slick and can get over the bowl lip for easy cleaning, all I used was a Bic lighter to heat and bend and then just take a pocket knife to scrap black suet off off the bended areas of the brush.
This a good hand ergonomic configuration of my worn out toothbrush for any cleaning of razors or my lather bowl soap residual lather in tight spots to get at when changing for next soap rotation.(feels good in the hand to use for any shaving cleaning task IMO.)
Worn toothbrush scrubber tool..jpg
Shave soap residue to be cleaned..jpg

Have some great shaves!

1660689177307.png

Looks cool on the counter, and dunking your razor in there for a couple of minutes after you shave (while applying aftershave, etc.,), followed by a light towel-off will keep you from ever seeing soap scum.

Some people get all constipated over "disinfecting your own razor"- that has nothing to do with it. Barbicide is a phenominal surfactant cleanser.

Hard water here I wipe it down with rubbing alcohol to displace water then if I see any build up in any hard to get places I use rubbing alcohol and and old toothbrush to scrub it out.
I used a wire brush on my vintage gillette to get hardened build up off it. I have also put wahl clipper oil on the moving parts and screw threads after a deep clean.

I once heard a preacher, a man who was not mechanically gifted, talk about spending multiple Saturdays assembling a steel swing set for his children. The last instruction in the book was, "Every week check all bolts for tightness," and he wailed, "If I do that, that's all I'm going to have time to do!"

I rinse my razor well after every use, and disassemble and wipe with a microfiber cloth at every blade change - which with Artist Club blades is about every 10 shaves. Soap film accumulates between wipe-downs, but somehow I live with myself.
This. It is a tool I shave with. It may not look pretty, but, it’s clean and it shaves. Now I’m self conscious about SOTD pics.

lasta

Blade Biter
1. Toothbrush + soap
2. Bar Keeper's Friend
3. Rinse + dry
4. Acidic copper bright dip
5. Rinse + dry
6. Metal polish shoe shine
7. 5 minute ultrasonic bath

At least 3 of the steps eat away some metal. :c3:

View attachment 1506156
Looks cool on the counter, and dunking your razor in there for a couple of minutes after you shave (while applying aftershave, etc.,), followed by a light towel-off will keep you from ever seeing soap scum.

Some people get all constipated over "disinfecting your own razor"- that has nothing to do with it. Barbicide is a phenominal surfactant cleanser.
I was just thinking about getting Barbicide last week.
2 related questions:

How often do you have to replace the liquid?
(I ask because at barber shops I would only see plastic combs, clipper combs, etc..,
I've never seen anything metal in one of those containers and figured that something metal might shorten the lifespan of the liquid)

Is it really ok to dip a razor in that stuff?
(Wondering if it will do any harm to the metal long term)

The Razor Emporium guy will tell you to stay away from abrasives and Barbicide. I agree. See my post #6. You can add a micro fiber cloth to rub the clean razor down but, if it were me, no polish either. That's all you need to do unless you get something in really bad shape.

Top Bottom