What's new

Best all around custom shavemac?

So I think that now insted of getting 2 great brushes I want to get 1 fantastic brush. I am pritty set on savemac due to them being able to make a custom handle for me. So here is what I want to ask all of you wise souls out there. What is the best knot size and loft for a all around brush (creams and soaps) for face lathering?

I'm thinking 19/45 finest or silvertip?

I want 1 brush that will last the rest of my life.

Thank you so much and sory for a new thread because I have 1 out there on brushes already

Before you definitely go with one brush are you able to have your brush dry completely between uses? I ended up with 2 brushes for that reason, during winter it takes more than a day for my brush to dry and perpetual dampness will shorten the life of the brush and may lead to something unpleasant making its home inside the knot.

Well I brush every 48 hours. Will I need to get 2 brushes? Right now I use a synthetic and have used friends badgers and love them and know that is what i want. In any case I if I had 2 I would like them with the same specs. Thanks for the info. I never thought of it.

Rooney all the way, the most dense knot on the market!! I vote rooneys super or heritage line. Here is my newest one a genuine horn rooney 26 knot 48 loft heritage hair.

The 19-45mm in Finest is a good choice.Don't get hung up on silver tip being the BEST there is.The Finest from Shavemac is very high quality and not a compromise.If you want to get the best that Shavemac offers,then go for the D01 grade.The short loft in the bulb shape is a very good all around brush for face lathering.That is how I use mine.Another good thing about the Shavemac is that it is not a lather hog and does not require a break in period,or special technique for a good lather.The 177 has a classic handle that is a good choice for a custom brush.For your second brush you can pick up a inexpensive boar for under ~$20.00

Domino provides excellent advice. (Ambrose is rightfully enamored with his Rooney, but that is for another day.) "KEEP" is absolutely spot on about requiring a 2d brush. You really can't go wrong with your decision to go with a Shavemac. A 45mm loft is quite short, the Rooney 1/1 has a loft of 48mm, which too is quite short, but absolutely perfect for face lathering. I have one and adore it. I've never used a shorter loft than that, the diameter of the Rooney is also a tad bigger, 22mm, than your specs. Perhaps someone has a side by side comparison. I am also confident that Shavemacs "Finest" is a superb very high end quality grade of hair. In a rambling way, what I wanted to get to was the 2d brush. A Boar brush is a fabulous idea. I just received my first one, a Semogue 1305, Leon from Vintage Scents, http://vintagescent.com/ carries them. Or if you want a badger, Tweezerman, makes a wonderful one for less than $20. (Search Amazon, or go to Whole Foods). Have fun.

The 19-45mm in Finest is a good choice.Don't get hung up on silver tip being the BEST there is.The Finest from Shavemac is very high quality and not a compromise.If you want to get the best that Shavemac offers,then go for the D01 grade.The short loft in the bulb shape is a very good all around brush for face lathering.That is how I use mine.Another good thing about the Shavemac is that it is not a lather hog and does not require a break in period,or special technique for a good lather.The 177 has a classic handle that is a good choice for a custom brush.For your second brush you can pick up a inexpensive boar for under ~$20.00

I have a Rooney heritage stubby 2 in "super" and a custom Shavemac 20/45 in "finest." I am assuming the Rooney requires significant break in period, because it is not performing like the Shavemac, so far. The Shavemac is a completely awesome brush, IMHO. The "finest" grade is very high quality and the value you get out of this brush is amazing, given it was nearly half the cost of the Rooney.

to all that have a 45 loft. Is this good for face lathering with creams. Do I need more loft to have it work well with creams with a face lather? should i go 19 20 or 21 knot size?

you all have been so darn helpful!!!!!

The size 19/45 is an approximate size. The 45 mm loft is a bulb shape so the size is little more than 45 mm. I use the brush with Bigelow shave cream regularly. I also use various hard soaps, Dr Harris, Tabac, just to mention a few, with no problems. I even tried it with the wool fat soap with great success. Here is a pic for size comparison to Rooney 1/1 and a 50gr shave stick

Last edited:
The best Custom Shavemac is a 21mm knot, 50mm loft D01 w/ genuine horn handle :biggrin:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference between a 19mm and 21mm diameter knot is pretty small, so I would say let your bank account help make that decision for you. Good luck choosing a handle. So many options!

I'm sticking with my original opinion: 45mm loft in Finest with the bulb shape. It's a tremendous value and is probably my favorite brush (tied for first at least).

Full disclosure: I have a 1/1 in Super, 19mm/45mm Shavemac in Finest, and a 21mm/50mm Shavemac in D01 Silvertip. I use hard soaps 90+% of the time, but a 45mm Finest is great for creams too.

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the brush you're planning.

-Andy

Darjeeling Express, your right I am in love and I still vote rooney. If it must be a shave mac please get a custom fan shape top and go with a 22-24 knot 45 loft D01 hair

Darjeeling Express, your right I am in love and I still vote rooney. If it must be a shave mac please get a custom fan shape top and go with a 22-24 knot 45 loft D01 hair

I'm going to start out first by saying that I could not get the "perfect" brush for ME by just research as to opinions on brushes! :rolleyes:
I have 2 shavemacs a 19/46 Fan & a 21/47 bulb type. Both of my brushes are the D01's. Both work well for face lathering except that the smaller one when using for soaps I have to work it more to load it with enough product for 3 passes plus some for a clean up pass on occasions. Most times now I just go back to the puck after 2 passes. :blush: Today if I was to order one after using both these sizes I would get a 21 or 22 Knot & 46 loft FAN shape D01.
Now that I have experienced Shavemacs, Kent, an E&J BBB, a Simpsons & some others too. (I really enjoy my Shavemacs, so don't take this the wrong way) My next brush will be the Rooney that I should of started with first. :tongue_sm I hear so much about them on B&B but I can't compare the Rooney as the only one I own is the 2007 Shave My Face III made by Rooney & at 23/58 it is just to large a loft for me to really enjoy!

I'm going to start out first by saying that I could not get the "perfect" brush for ME by just research as to opinions on brushes! :rolleyes:
I have 2 shavemacs a 19/46 Fan & a 21/47 bulb type. Both of my brushes are the D01's. Both work well for face lathering except that the smaller one when using for soaps I have to work it more to load it with enough product for 3 passes plus some for a clean up pass on occasions. Most times now I just go back to the puck after 2 passes. :blush: Today if I was to order one after using both these sizes I would get a 21 or 22 Knot & 46 loft FAN shape D01.
Now that I have experienced Shavemacs, Kent, an E&J BBB, a Simpsons & some others too. (I really enjoy my Shavemacs, so don't take this the wrong way) My next brush will be the Rooney that I should of started with first. :tongue_sm I hear so much about them on B&B but I can't compare the Rooney as the only one I own is the 2007 Shave My Face III made by Rooney & at 23/58 it is just to large a loft for me to really enjoy!

I have A custom Shavemac in 23mm with 47 mm loft and fan shape DO1. it is a beauty and great lather maker. I use soaps.
I also still love my Rooneys. N oway to go wrong with either one but choose carefully the knot, loft and bristle

I have A custom Shavemac in 23mm with 47 mm loft and fan shape DO1. it is a beauty and great lather maker. I use soaps.
I also still love my Rooneys. N oway to go wrong with either one but choose carefully the knot, loft and bristle

I agree. When one is considering a Rooney Super or better vs. a short-loft Shavemac Finest or better, it's hard to go wrong.

-Andy

Top Bottom