What's new

Best Aftershaves discovery / New items to try

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well, this is a similar thread to "top 3" or "top 5" aftershaves but not quite... What I would like to see is, for those who tried quite a few Aftershaves, to recommend a few products! What was good and why?

Some may already know that I really like aftershaves. I maintain a minimum stock because I don't have much room, but I still have a long list of stuff that I would like to try. So far, I reckon I probably tried around 50 AS easily. I'm no expert, far from it.

I'll start, I don't think there's a limit, minimum or maximum that one should impose itself.

What would I recommend for, let say, a new wetshaver or maybe you're looking for something new?

I have a preference for aftershaves that are lotion or contain alcohol. Those seem to work better for my skin type. I used to have an aftershave balm that I thought was ordinary (Nivea Sensitive). Nivea is not bad, it's cheap, it's available pretty much anywhere, it works for most people. It always left me with a greasy skin. However, some might enjoy it.

Is my list the only list? Of course not! Those are the products that I really enjoy! I would keep those that are hard to find for special occasions and others, as daily products. The issue, I keep discovering new stuff! If I look at what I paid versus what I got, I think those are great values!

Keep in mind, YMMV! And of course, if you liked it or disliked it, review the product if you like. Make sure you used it a few times to base your opinion on regular usage and not just a single usage.

Last edited:
Was your grandma unscented?

Lucido is my top find. But since it comes sans scent, I usually spike it with something I like: Alt Insbruck, bay rum, etc. It doesn't take much. I find the Lucido splash to be as close to moisturizing as an alcohol based AS can be.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

Lucido is my top find. But since it comes sans scent, I usually spike it with something I like: Alt Insbruck, bay rum, etc. It doesn't take much. I find the Lucido splash to be as close to moisturizing as an alcohol based AS can be.

Sorry, wrong AS, not Lucido, Lordos!

Excellent mini-reviews Luc! I agree about the Japanese aftershaves, surprisingly awesome. But must disagree about Denim, I've managed to surreptitiously sniff some bottles in the shops, too generic to my untrained nose.

Denim reappeared in stores in Croatia too after long time. I remember I used only AS 20 or so years ago. Those were my 'colognes' back then. I've tried few different Denim scents but I remember using mostly the blue 'Original'.

FWIW, I disagree on the legacy Proraso. Hate the stuff. Might use it to detail my alloys.

Musgo Real is a good find (very user friendly with a "neutral" floral scent and loaded with just good stuff).

Captain's Choice Bay Rum is very nice interpretation of the classic bay rum with well-defined scent elements. :pirate:
Meehan's Bay Rhum is another top notch bay rum.:bayrum2:

I'm an Old Spice and Brut man classics like these never go out of fashion! I quite fancy trying the Proraso as I love the shave cream also some Bay Rum at some point, I have a real soft spot for a nice fragrance.

Mennen Skin Bracer is still the best lotion I've come across - especially for fine nicks. It works almost as well as balm. I've been using it for decades, as well as the Mennen Afta balm.

My favourite aftershave balm is Rexona for Men. It works as well as Nivea for Men Extra Sensitive and is fragrance neutral, but doesn't give me the wet look that Nivea gives me.

I like fragrance neutral balms like Rexona and Nivea Extra Sensitive, because I can pour a bit in my hand, spray three squirts of EDT into it, twirl it around with my finger, and have my own home-made designer balm to match the EDT I'll be wearing.

I wish there was a fragrance neutral version of Mennen Skin Bracer.
Regards,
Renato

AftershaveWhy was it great?
Mennen Skin Bracer - Cooling BlueI got this on an island in the Philippines! Disssapointing that it comes in a plastic bottle, however this is my ultimate aftershave. There is a small-moderate hit of menthol that leave my skin feeling almost powdery once it dries. I'd describe the scent as being from the same family as floid blue, only more 'fresh'.
Alt InnsbruckThis is the most expensive a/s I own, but I bought it blind as I like tobacco scents. A noticeable menthol hit that dissipates quickly, leaving a medicinal/tobacco flower scent. Simple, but a top-notch a/s. Very cool glass bottle too!
Speick SplashThis is a great value, easily available product. I believe it is witch-hazel based and I can say it leaves my skin feeling great, if not a little oily by the end of the day. Another scent I'd describe as 'medicinal' with a nice hint of lavender. I only recently tried this, but it will be a regular in my line-up
Osage RubI like this product, but it is brutal. There is so much menthol in osage rub, it physically hurts to splash it directly on my face. I'd suggest cutting it down with a tiny amount of water to get a more appropriate hit of menthol. Its a great summer product and there is no lingering scent, which I prefer.
Cussons Imperial Leather (Australian)This is an Australian classic. Almost every Australian has memories of a father/uncle/brother, or in my case grandfather splashing this on after a shave. Scent is leather, pure and simple. There is no soothing properties whatsoever in this splash, and the scent hangs around all day, but for the memories it brings, I'll always have a bottle in the cabinet. Its a shame its not more widely known/available overseas.

I thought I'd play along!

I'm also a massive fan of MG5 and Proraso, you can't go wrong with those two.

Mennen Skin Bracer is still the best lotion I've come across - especially for fine nicks. It works almost as well as balm. I've been using it for decades, as well as the Mennen Afta balm.

My favourite aftershave balm is Rexona for Men. It works as well as Nivea for Men Extra Sensitive and is fragrance neutral, but doesn't give me the wet look that Nivea gives me.

I like fragrance neutral balms like Rexona and Nivea Extra Sensitive, because I can pour a bit in my hand, spray three squirts of EDT into it, twirl it around with my finger, and have my own home-made designer balm to match the EDT I'll be wearing.

I wish there was a fragrance neutral version of Mennen Skin Bracer.
Regards,
Renato

Where did you get the Mennen Skin Bracer from??

EXACTLY! Lucido moisturizes more than any other splash I've tried. It has a slight medicinal scent but it basically scentless. I like that it's scentless so it won't clash with my cologne, just the right amount of menthol too.

Where did you get the Mennen Skin Bracer from??
Skin Bracer used to be sold in most pharmacies down here back in the 90s, and I stocked up with 15 bottles when they started to disappear of the shelves. I still have 7 left which I'm using sparingly - dabbing affected areas rather than splashing my entire face - in part to stretch the supply, and in part because my wife reckons the scent is way too strong for her.

I haven't seen it sold anywhere here since then.
Regards,
Renato

Skin Bracer used to be sold in most pharmacies down here back in the 90s, and I stocked up with 15 bottles when they started to disappear of the shelves. I still have 7 left which I'm using sparingly - dabbing affected areas rather than splashing my entire face - in part to stretch the supply, and in part because my wife reckons the scent is way too strong for her.

I haven't seen it sold anywhere here since then.

Regards,
Renato

Cool. Thanks

I have a preference for aftershaves that are lotion or contain alcohol

You should try Alpa then. A cheaper European brand (czeck I think) who have nice flowery, gentl AS but with a good helping of alcohol and / or menthol. The 378 is simalar to SIM and the Windsor is great. You can find on the bay or here

http://www.manmachine.co/

Thanks so much! A great thread for someone like myself. I love after shave bit am on a very limited budget. A great set of lists with mini reviews! Will help me decide where my meager funds should go!

*bow

Top Bottom