What's new

Best $50 - $75 fountain pen

Great review. Yes, I would expect an XF to have some feedback. You could smooth it out a bit by tracing some figure 8's on a brown paper bag. If that doesn't work, there's micromesh. I don't remember when Twisbi started using Jowo nibs, but they definitely do now. Which leads to an interesting thing in that although Twisbi is an Asian company - Taiwanese specifically - they use German nibs which run wider than Japanese nibs. XF Jowo = F Pilot/Platinum/Sailor
I smoothed it as best I could. it's generally not an issue and I only feel it occasionally.

and I'm not comparing it against Japanese nibs, but other German/American nibs. much like my experience with Lamy Safari grade nibs.
The size comparison is helpful! Thank you gents! That is one thing that I really like about my safari is that the nibs can be changed out so easily and economically. Part of the intrigue of the 580ALR to me, on the other hand for $10 more you could get a whole new pen in the eco. Lots of options 🤔🤔. Or I could go the vintage route! John you warned me about the nib rabbit hole! 😂😂

I'm definitely considering acquiring a couple vintage pens too. First thought was a Parker 51 and now it looks like I "need" to add a Sheaffer!
Very nice and unique nibs on the vintage Shaeffer pens and you will get a great pen in your budget range.
I don't like demonstrator pens but some like the Twisbi range.

Very nice and unique nibs on the vintage Shaeffer pens and you will get a great pen in your budget range.
I don't like demonstrator pens but some like the Twisbi range.
I really appreciate the insight! Good to know I can get a great pen in this price range. Thank you!!

Great information, thank you! And yes I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your ramblings! Lots of great advice! Thank you! The 580 and Eco are both on my list. As far as I can tell in the nibs they are both Jowo nibs however the eco has a #4 and the 580 a #5. I’ll plead ignorance here, what’s the difference? Is it just a difference in size? Or are there noticeable differences in use? Also (more ignorance) what is a Jowo nib (my assumption is they manufacture nibs?) and why is that good? Or why should I care? I really appreciate the insight/guidance here.
Doing more research here, I think I got the nib sizes wrong comparing the eco and 580. If anyone knows for sure I’d appreciate the info!

For the experienced users of fountain pens, how do you like the Scheaffer pens? I am looking at one from the 50s-60s with the "Tip-Dip" filling system. I have a couple of Lamy Safaris and Pilot Metropolitans that I use at work. But I feel the need to have a vintage pen! 🤪 You know, to spend even more money on hobbies!! The pen is a Cadet at the aforementioned Peyton Street website.

Thanks for the great info you guys contributed to this thread!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Doing more research here, I think I got the nib sizes wrong comparing the eco and 580. If anyone knows for sure I’d appreciate the info!
Yes, the Eco has a #5 nib and the 580 has a #6. The only difference is the size. Physical size, that is. The size of the writing is the same. Often larger nibs will be softer and write with a little more bounce, but Jowo nibs are notoriously stiff, so that's not the case here.

....how do you like the Scheaffer pens? I am looking at one from the 50s-60s with the "Tip-Dip" filling system. I have a couple of Lamy Safaris and Pilot Metropolitans that I use at work. But I feel the need to have a vintage pen! 🤪 You know, to spend even more money on hobbies!! The pen is a Cadet at the aforementioned Peyton Street website.
Do you mean one of the Snorkels? I always wanted one but never got round to buying one.
I don't see a Cadet available.

Last edited:
Yes, the Eco has a #5 nib and the 580 has a #6. The only difference is the size. Physical size, that is. The size of the writing is the same. Often larger nibs will be softer and write with a little more bounce, but Jowo nibs are notoriously stiff, so that's not the case here.
Much obliged. Thank you sir! Been doing a bunch more research into Twsbi. Thinking I might go the cheaper Eco route to start and we’ll see from there. Figure a smaller investment to find out if I like them or not (demonstrators as well) before spending more on Twsbi.

I’ve got a number of Pelikan m200s saved on the Bay, any recommendations on Nib size? Do they vary a lot from a Fine to Broad nib? Also, which is your preference there?

For the experienced users of fountain pens, how do you like the Scheaffer pens? I am looking at one from the 50s-60s with the "Tip-Dip" filling system. I have a couple of Lamy Safaris and Pilot Metropolitans that I use at work. But I feel the need to have a vintage pen! 🤪 You know, to spend even more money on hobbies!! The pen is a Cadet at the aforementioned Peyton Street website.

Thanks for the great info you guys contributed to this thread!
Let us know what you think when you get one! I’m intrigued!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... how do you like the Scheaffer pens? I am looking at one from the 50s-60s with the "Tip-Dip" filling system.
Tip-dip Sheaffer pens don't hold a lot of ink, just an FYI. But they're fine. I like the gold nibs Sheaffer made, especially the FeatherTouch -- the gold Lifetime nibs are like nails. I think Cadets were steel, they're lower down the ranks.

Consider getting a lever-filler Sheaffer (no "c") with a gold nib. Again, not a lot of ink capacity but easy to work on if the filling system gives you any trouble -- stay away from the Vac-fil, they can be finicky. I collected 1920s-1950s Sheaffer pens for decades, love 'em!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I’ve got a number of Pelikan m200s saved on the Bay, any recommendations on Nib size?
Depends on your writing size but their medium is usually a safe bet. Fine and extra-fine can feel a little scratchy to some folks. Pelikan wetness can put down a big line with a lot of ink with a broad nib -- good for signatures, though.

Depends on your writing size but their medium is usually a safe bet. Fine and extra-fine can feel a little scratchy to some folks. Pelikan wetness can put down a big line with a lot of ink with a broad nib -- good for signatures, though.
Thank you Doug! I will keep that in mind while I’m saving and searching! They are fine looking pens!

I’m thinking I may need to sell off some razors to fund this new hobby! 😂😂

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... don't see a Cadet available.
Here ya go --> Sheaffer Cadet Fountain Pen (1953-63) - Blue, Tip Dip, Fine F1 Steel Nib (Excellent, Restored) - https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-cadet-fountain-pen-1950s-60s-blue-tip-dip-fine-f1-steel-nib-excellent-restored.html

1649446828166.png

Top Bottom