What's new

Best 3 DE razors of the last 5 years

Curious to know what handle, base, and top plate you chose. Just browsed the website. Pretty impressive looking tools.

mine is in brass, I have the level 1DC which he no longer makes and a level 2 SB, I have the Stinger handle(series 1) My top cap is Gen 3 and the base plate is his Gen 1.

I've owned Wolfman, Timeless, Blackland and the Charcoal Goods is the last one standing and my only razor. It’s absolutely great, for me at least.

1. Timeless .95. It blows everything else I have ever used out of the water.

2. Game Changer. Incredible value,quality, and a variety of options to fine tune for personal preferences.

3. Karve. Lots of options, great value, solid performer.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
ATT S2.

Open comb, stainless, helical slant. It's the only DE I use now. I've had a similar though less comprehensive narrowing of focus on SE razors.

Looking back over several volumes of daily shave journals I am amused that with the S2 I do not write paragraphs about what worked and what didn't. I've come down to simply noting the particulars and adding the comment "AGS:" Another Great Shave.

O.H.

My number one is Charcoal Goods. First gen level 2 SB in matte stainless, #516, with third gen top cap, also in matte stainless.

First razor head I have ever used that felt like it was made specifically for me. My hair, my skin, my technique, my everything. I'm generally a once a week head and face shaver with very thick, very coarse hair, more cowlicks than I can count, and a thicker than average beard. Both grow "aggressively", as my wife likes to point out. I can comfortably shave through 7+ days of growth without having to focus excessively, and it's the best looking razor I own. Ended up grabbing a second gen stainless level 2, #1213, along with a stainless Stinger handle and fourth gen top cap to compare to the original. Everything I enjoyed about my first gen was just a tad better. So much so, that I recently picked up a duplicate backup head, #1631.

My number two would be a pair of Karve C SB in stainless, #36 and #37. Three metals, thirteen plates, four handle lengths, and all for a great price. Occasionally, the brass almost felt tacky on my skin. Something about the way it reacts with my body chemistry and part of the reason for selling them off when the stainless was released.

I shave 6 days per week. I enjoy a mild but efficient razor. I face lather mostly hard soaps. 2 1/2 n/s passes, although I'm intrigued by the possibility of single pass shaving.

1. Timeless .68 titanium sb. Wow! My most efficient razor! Enjoyable and can be used everyday. No irritation. A very pleasant shave experience.

2. Timeless .68 stainless sb. Also wow! Beautifully polished. Very efficient. Also can be used everyday. No irritation. A very pleasant shave experience.

3. Timeless .68 stainless oc. Triple wow! Beautifully polished and very efficient. Can be used everyday. No irritation. A very pleasant shave experience. I've only recently begun to shave with an open comb, and I'm definitely enjoying the experience.

About the "wow" factor. I almost wish that the stainless polished razors were as efficient as the unpolished titanium. They're that beautiful. I'd love the stainless to be the only razors in the stable, but there's no denying the efficiency of the unpolished titanium razor. The titanium razor has a softness to the touch that others have also described. Titanium is also most efficient. It's hard to pick between them, but thankfully @Nicholas asked for our top 3. Ciao!

Wolfman .95 WR2 SB Titanium - This is probably my favorite razor of all time as it should be considering the price tag. Exceptionally smooth while still being extremely efficient. Workmanship is unmatched. I have it in stainless as well in .95 1.00 and 1.05 as these could all take the top spots and complete the entire list. I'll count them as one razor though and move on to something else.

LA Shaving BBS-1 - this is the predecessor of the WR2 and it's another excellent razor. Though I like the WR2 a bit better.

Raw Shaving RS-10 - Surprisingly good considering a new maker and his first razor. A really nice combination of efficiency and smoothness. The milder blade is still a bit more aggressive then the WR2 that I normally use but it's an extremely comfortable razor to shave with.

After these would likely be Timeless followed by Charcoal Goods. Blackland and Paradigm should get some praise as well.

Game Changer .84 has seen more use since I bought it than any of my other razors combined. Blackland Blackbird and Dart see action now and then. I haven’t touched my Rockwell, Timeless, Murkur or any vintage razor in months. I have an Occam’s razor set in bound. We will see...

Wolfman .95 WR2 SB Titanium - This is probably my favorite razor of all time as it should be considering the price tag. Exceptionally smooth while still being extremely efficient. Workmanship is unmatched. I have it in stainless as well in .95 1.00 and 1.05 as these could all take the top spots and complete the entire list. I'll count them as one razor though and move on to something else.

LA Shaving BBS-1 - this is the predecessor of the WR2 and it's another excellent razor. Though I like the WR2 a bit better.

Raw Shaving RS-10 - Surprisingly good considering a new maker and his first razor. A really nice combination of efficiency and smoothness. The milder blade is still a bit more aggressive then the WR2 that I normally use but it's an extremely comfortable razor to shave with.

After these would likely be Timeless followed by Charcoal Goods. Blackland and Paradigm should get some praise as well.

Surprised to see the Timeless fall this much on your list as for years it was your #1. Makes me really want to try out a WR2

I shave 6-7 days a week and prefer an efficient yet smooth shave. So the best 3 for me are:

Paradigm Ti1: Efficient enough for me with an exceptionally smooth or even "phantom blade" feel - even smoother than other titanium razors (ie Timeless, Baby Smooth, Ti2). Unfortunately very limited and scarce production of 50-51 razors (about 3-4 years ago) as the community wanted something tamer and less aggressive resulting in the very smooth but less aggressive 17-4 and Ti2 versions (also limited availability as low production runs).

Charcoal Goods L3: Very efficient yet smooth with the newer (gen 2) stainless even smoother than the brass version. Personally the 3.5" brass stars and stripes is my favorite handle which is no longer offered so the stainless Bishop variant would be my rcommendation. The CG L2 is nearly as efficient and even smoother which is readily available.

Wolfman WR2: My custom Titanium 145 easily generates a 2 pass BBS without any irritation and it is just a hair less smooth than the Paradigm Ti1. Using a credit card shim it is the only razor I have that can give me a single pass BBS shave. It's pricey and the wait was long but it really is efficient and smooth.

The soon to be released Stirling Hyper Efficient & Janus adjustable may enter this group in 2020 when available.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well, using the last five years as a cutoff:

Karve Brass, B-SB and C-SB. Will be trying the D-SB soon.

Timeless .68-SB, Timeless Dimpled handle.

Blackland Blackbird - I have prepaid my SB plate so, as soon as they get manufactured and sent out, I will shave with it and see how it does.

The other "Wild Card" is the Christmas present my wife will be giving me: a Charcoal Goods L2. :)

Not to be a "hair shirt" but almost all of these copy well known and previously invented designs with the exception of the aforementioned PAA Ascension. High $$ artisans really bring new anything new to the table aside from modern materials and close tolerances. These are not radical & novel "breakthroughs" by any measure.

I would add that IMO the most radical razor of the past few years is the PAA Prismatic which mimics the little known Kirby Leresche razors of the 1930's and which utilized a safety bar before Gillette did. It's an interesting razor that has a variable "sweet spot" far larger than any I have ever used.

Not to be a "hair shirt" but almost all of these copy well known and previously invented designs with the exception of the aforementioned PAA Ascension. High $$ artisans really bring new anything new to the table aside from modern materials and close tolerances. These are not radical & novel "breakthroughs" by any measure.

I would add that IMO the most radical razor of the past few years is the PAA Prismatic which mimics the little known Kirby Leresche razors of the 1930's and which utilized a safety bar before Gillette did. It's an interesting razor that has a variable "sweet spot" far larger than any I have ever used.
What did the RS-10 copy? I would be interested in that.

My three:

-Ikon Standard B1 (for effective mowing)
-PAA DOC Evo (for touchup)
-Raw RS-10 (for sweetness while getting the job done)

My top 3:

Rockwell 6S - it's no coincidence most new razors get their effectiveness compared to the Rockwell baseplates. Before Rockwell, Gillette Fatboy/Slim fulfilled that function. I think it speaks for itself when a modern razor takes the benchmark status from a legendary vintage razor.

Blackbird - an unique razor that changed the trend of just increasing blade gap for a more efficient shave.

Wolfman - Not only because of their perfect finish and great performance - it was also the first razor where you could order custom blade gap, engraving etc. Something that is rarely offered even today.

In no particular order. Prefer a less aggressive razor paired w sharper blades. I do head (3x /wk) and face shaves (6x /wk).

1. Timeless SB 0.68 SS. Always giving me a consistently good experience, either on Astra, Polsilver, etc. Easy to find angle and great balance. Never fails.

2. Charcoal Goods Lvl2 SB Cap & Magnum Hammered handle Cooper. Really beautifully crafted piece, feels solid in the hand. No effort at all to find the sweet spot and BBS in two passes XTG w some touch ups. Paired w Astra or Feathers. Initially I was concerned with the weight, but never was a problem for me.

3. Either the Karve SS OC-B or H&S N075. I cannot decide between the both. Equally efficient paired w Feather. I have NEVER had a nick or a bad shave w these. KARVE is butter smooth and light in the hand, most nimble of my razors. N075 is another efficient razor and I just love the black (think it's an aircraft grade aluminium that's black anodized) SB, paired w the beautiful machined SS handle and cap.

So I cheated, that's actually 4 razors. But they are absolutely gems IMO and YMMV. Happy shaving.

Isn't the PAA Ascension a copy or an enhanced version of the Grand Shave King?

For me in New razors (not vintage):

Razorock game changer .68
Feather AS D2
Karve brass B plate
Rockwell S1

I like them all. I really get equally great shaves from all 4. But non are any better than My 60+ year old $10 techs. Just different in weight, balance and looks.

Top Bottom