What's new

Best 3 DE razors of the last 5 years

The last years we've seen a great number of DE razors hitting the market. Which are the best 3 you've tried and why?

Mine are the following:
- BBS-1 by Wolfman Razors, it's a unique design, James based it on the Gillette Tech but created a whole different thing that is now a cult.
- WR1 by Wolfman Razors, I'm referring to the 0.61 gap, great smooth daily shaver with the best finish available, the well-known mirror one.
- 6s by Rockwell, a razor system that works really good, it gives you 6 options and it could easily be the only one razor a man needs.

I think it's essential to read why it is in your top 3, otherwise this thread would be another "top" thread. Also, it has to be a relatively new product, made within the last 5 years, so no vintage stuff or Merkurs for example. And yes, it is in the DE section.

+1 on the Rockwell 6S
Stretching the calendar some, the 2011 Muhle R41 will always be a contender.
Agreed the Rockwell is an extremely well made and versatile razor.
The Muhle?
If you have the skill set to handle a crazy aggressive razor, you will not get a closer shave anywhere.
Third best...too many choices to name.

Well, I don’t have 3 but I kind of have 2. I have the Timeless Titanium with two different base plates. It is definitely my favorite razor and my daily driver now. I don’t have any other new DE (other than the Feather AS-D2 - not sure how long that has been around) but I have used the OneBlade extensively and several vintage. My Timeless beats them all.

I'm with @Red One on this and all I can say is my Ti95DC made "ALL" the other razors in my cabinet obsolete and they had to go as they no longer were being used!! I know every shave what to expect when I pick up my Timeless and never have to try and remember what angle do I need to use or in the long run, being disappointed because my shave wasn't consistent with the previous shave...

The last razor I will ever have to buy!!
Ti95DC.jpg

For me, it's the following in no particular order:
  • ATT S-1: A smooth efficient razor. Never a disappointing shave.
  • Karve both versions: With a Personna Lab blade I can get up to 12 fantastic shaves. I use both the C and D plates. However, I can get great shaves with any of my blades.
  • Timeless SB .68mm: Another smooth efficient razor.
Two others that I like but which don't make the top three list. The Rockwell. The head is too bulky to get under my nose. The Feather AS-D2. The only blade for me that works well with this razor is a Feather blade.

One: The RazoRock Game Changer. The guys at IB delivered a CNC 316 stainless razor with precision and workmanship that rivals anything on the market, irrespective of price, and they did it for $50 (originally; it's gone up a bit since its intro). Now, with the selection of different gaps and combs, it's like a poor man's ATT, but it shaves better.

Two: The Fatip Testina Gentile. For those of us that find the OC Fatip a bit too much razor for daily use, the Gentile hits the sweet spot. For me, it's a near perfect razor, offering smoothness, comfort and efficiency. And it's solid brass for around $35.

Three: Ikon Shavecraft 102 slant. A slant for us mild razor guys, the 102 feels like you're shaving without a blade. Yet, it mows down the stubble with excellent efficiency. Precision machined aluminum, covered blade tabs and a very affordable price point. What's not to like?

Note that all of the above razors (with the occasional exception of the GC) can actually be obtained.

Reactions: tm3
I decided to radically thin the herd awhile ago.

Kept the WR1 (mirror finish) with WRH2 handle for my daily driver. For travel I kept a Lord L6. That’s it.

Tough to beat the WR1 IMO!! This one is my pride and daily joy!

The Lord is on the other end of the spectrum, it would not break my heard if I forgot it in a hotel room.

Note that all of the above razors (with the occasional exception of the GC) can actually be obtained.

And this is a very important aspect. One of the three I mentioned is officially unobtainable and another is almost unobtainable. Truth is I sold almost all my razors a few years ago and kept a few. These are the ones I truly enjoy and didn't think of selling. Actually, these three are the only modern DEs I own and started this thread to get some ideas. Who knows, maybe it's time to buy a new one after years of not buying anything.

I decided to radically thin the herd awhile ago.

Kept the WR1 (mirror finish) with WRH2 handle for my daily driver. For travel I kept a Lord L6. That’s it.

Tough to beat the WR1 IMO!! This one is my pride and daily joy!

The Lord is on the other end of the spectrum, it would not break my heard if I forgot it in a hotel room.
What gap is yours? The 0.61 is the only one I've tried. I think I was very lucky since I didn't have to try many to find my sweet spot.

The mirror finish is certainly the way to go!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
For me it is the upgrade Fatip made from the Fatip Mk1 to the Mk2 during their last retool. Along with that it is the release of their solid bar Testina Gentile. Both of these were brilliant moves, and for a third is the expansion into different handle options of the Fatip Woods and the Nobiles.

All these shave well:

1) 3” brass Karve OC-D plate, not just another traditional design in machined SS. Plus all the multi-plate adjustability of the Rockwell (I sold my 6C) with a nimbler head and handle.

2) RazoRock Wunderbar, OK, it’s a traditional design in machined SS but I love it with a thinner short Ti handle.
If the Wunderbar has been in production too long to qualify, the RazoRock GameChanger OC. Same qualifier...

3) Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ascension. Mine is V1 in aluminum. Not just another... you get the idea. I would get the Cu version if I didn’t already have the Alu.

As you can see, I like some diversity in the rotation. Plus my biases start at OCs and slants.

Last edited:
Razors are usually my one constant. Once I find a DE with a balance I like, I prefer altering its aggressiveness with a blade rather than rotating DE's. After 4 years of old Gillettes, I used a Merkur 34G for 5 years straight. A GameChanger .68 that I bought on a whim last year, kicked the 34 down to the basement box with the Gillettes. I haven't used another razor in 14 months.

1. RR GameChanger .68
2. Merkur 34G

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB — buttery smooth and wickedly efficient. My favorite by a country mile. And I’ve even shimmed it beyond 2mm and it is just as smooth.

Blackbird SB — sings a beautiful song while mowing down a beard. Blade-forward, but with a Feather, still exhibits unusual smoothness. My most efficient shaver.

Wolfman WR1 .94 OC — simply put, it was too good at removing my beard. As a daily shaver, I had to skip a day after using this Wolf because it shaved me that closely (yet comfortably). Had to sell it.

I'm with @Red One on this and all I can say is my Ti95DC made "ALL" the other razors in my cabinet obsolete and they had to go as they no longer were being used!! I know every shave what to expect when I pick up my Timeless and never have to try and remember what angle do I need to use or in the long run, being disappointed because my shave wasn't consistent with the previous shave...

The last razor I will ever have to buy!!
View attachment 1038328
That's a beautiful looking razor. So is that one side open comb and one side closed?

Top Bottom