What's new

Best 1st "Quality" cream ??

Hello Everyone...

Looking for options today.

I currently have in my rotation:
Col. Conk Glycerine soap and
Proraso ...in the tube.

I am looking to venture into the realm of "Quality" creams and am looking for suggestions.

What would be your favorite 1st cream for me to try??

Thanks for all your wisdom.

Rick

You can't go wrong with any of the three T's. Personally, my foray into the wetshaving realm started with Taylor's Avocado. Still one of my favorites.

letterk said:
You can't go wrong with any of the three T's.

Absolutely. My first was St James' Collection and wouldn't have changed it for anything, I should get some more really!

I would suggest either contacting the manufacturers directly for samples (unfortunately Taylor doesn't any longer) or buy a sampler kit from Scotto. This will allow you to try some out before buying tubs. If you are near a Crabtree & Evelyn they are very generous with samples as well...

I love Taylors and T&H, but I'm not too fussy about the Trumpers that I've tried (Lime, Coconut and Almond)... In addition to my 2-out-of-3 T's I love Proraso - I just can't go wrong with that cool, refreshing stuff.

If you are looking for a less expensive but highly functional cream I would suggest KMF (they come in many scents, are inexpensive and are widely available - at least in North America).

No doubt--C&E Sweet Almond Oil shave cream. It has the added bonus of being easily available in many places.

mrob said:
No doubt--C&E Sweet Almond Oil shave cream. It has the added bonus of being easily available in many places.

You may want to pick something else as the C&E Sweet Almond Oil has been discontinued and if you fall in love with it you'll be dissapointed that you can't get anymore of it. It is however a great cream and is currently on sale due to its being discontinued. I love Trumpers Violet...all the Trumpers creams are great.

NMMB said:
If you are looking for a less expensive but highly functional cream I would suggest KMF (they come in many scents, are inexpensive and are widely available - at least in North America).

I completely agree with NMMB on trying the Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Creams. To me they give a shave comparable to the 3T's and leave your face feeling great. The real plus is they are priced in the three to five dollar range depending on if you pick up a tube or pump bottle and they are available at most whole/health food stores. Don't let the low price fool you on quality.

I mixed KMF Cool Mint and Lavender Shea together this morning and got a great shave and a nice fragrance blend. I am using KMF more and more it seems.

Just goes to show you, YMMV. I have a tube of the KMF peaches & cream that I haven't touched in months--it just does nothing for me.

Always willing to trade. . .:wink:

g8orshavr said:
You may want to pick something else as the C&E Sweet Almond Oil has been discontinued and if you fall in love with it you'll be dissapointed that you can't get anymore of it. It is however a great cream and is currently on sale due to its being discontinued. I love Trumpers Violet...all the Trumpers creams are great.

Are you certain that the C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream has been discontinued? What is your source? There has been considerable discussion on that topic here during the last few months, but nobody ever seems to get a straight answer from C&E. If it is being discontinued then it is indeed sad as it is, IMHO, the best variety offered by C&E...

rikrdo said:
Hello Everyone...

Looking for options today.

I currently have in my rotation:
Col. Conk Glycerine soap and
Proraso ...in the tube.

I am looking to venture into the realm of "Quality" creams and am looking for suggestions.

What would be your favorite 1st cream for me to try??

Thanks for all your wisdom.

Rick

Nancy Boy! It totally rocks. You won't want to shave with anything else, except for all the others.

mrob said:
Just goes to show you, YMMV. I have a tube of the KMF peaches & cream that I haven't touched in months--it just does nothing for me.

Always willing to trade. . .:wink:

I have not yet tried the Peaches & Cream, so I cannot comment on it. It doesn't sound like a scent I would be crazy about. Maybe you can buy a tube of Lavender Shea sometime...to me it is their best cream. It has a light Lavender scent, but very nice and clean, and the Shea Butter gives it great moisturizing properties.

PottyDoctor said:
I have not yet tried the Peaches & Cream, so I cannot comment on it. It doesn't sound like a scent I would be crazy about. Maybe you can buy a tube of Lavender Shea sometime...to me it is their best cream. It has a light Lavender scent, but very nice and clean, and the Shea Butter gives it great moisturizing properties.

I don't especially care for the P&C scent either... but SWMBO uses it (from time to time at least) when she shaves. Of course, she uses it as a brushelss cream, but she does enjoy it. I do really like the Lime, Mint and Lavender scents by KMF and the vanilia isn't bad either (but it does remind me of a girl I dated many years ago who always smelled of the similarly scented body shop perfume).

First cream - go oldschool. I would go with Taylors, because they have great variety, depending on what you think will float your boat, and they are much cheaper than the other T's.

I have not tried them all.

Avocado is great, if you like a clean, fresh, green scent. (If you have heard all the controversy about the reformulation, ignore it. I don't mean to discount what anybody has said about it, but for those of us that never got to try the old formulation, the new is fabulous).

The florals are supposed to be nice if you are into that. Haven't tried them.

I have the Eton college as well. Great stuff - all of the cologne scented ones are supposed to be very nice, if you prefer that sort of thing. St. James and Shaveshop seem the most popular, but I would just go to the classic shaving website and read the descriptions to pick the scent that sounds best to you.

No matter what way you go though, I am sure you will be pleased.

Oh, and the sample pack from Scotto if definitly a smart way to go. Did that - it was great.

letterk said:
How could I forget. This is a great way to try a number of creams without breaking the bank (yet).
Between your blade samplers and Scotto's Cream/Fragrance samplers people can try a lot of products with minimal investment.

moses said:
...Avocado is great, if you like a clean, fresh, green scent. (If you have heard all the controversy about the reformulation, ignore it. I don't mean to discount what anybody has said about it, but for those of us that never got to try the old formulation, the new is fabulous).

The florals are supposed to be nice if you are into that. Haven't tried them.

I have the Eton college as well. Great stuff - all of the cologne scented ones are supposed to be very nice...

I also didn't have the chance to try the old formulation of Avocado (or any of the other scents), but I think that the new Avocado rocks... everybody that complains may indeed be right, the old stuff may be better, but the new stuff is great stuff too.

The florals are nice... I am a fan of the rose and lavender (though, I don't like the smell of the lavender as much out of the container - I find it smells better after the cream has been whipped).

I am not familiar with the cologne scented creams... but consideing how much I like the ones that I've tried - I'm sure that they are great creams if you like the scents.

Definitely contact Scotto he can set you up with any number of options and he is a valuable resource- so reach out to him you will not regreat it (except if you love everything he sends you and you must have it all $$$):smile:

Jim

Top Bottom