What's new

Best 1964 Safety Razor

I am looking for a birth-year vintage safety razor for 1964.
What are some options? What are your best picks?

I'm 95% sure a 1964 Gillette Aristocrat adjustable razor is a Gillette Slim razor that is gold plated. Otherwise they are identical. The Aristocrat adjustable also is quite rare.

You can be 100% sure about that because that is exactly what it is.

Gem and Schick razors were made in 1964, but AFAIK they were not date coded so you’d never know for sure. But the Aristocrat was the top of Gillette’s line that year. Second would be the ordinary nickel plated Slim, which is otherwise the same razor.

I have a 1964 nickle plated Gillette Slim. It is one of my favorite razors. I find it to be very efficient. I normally shave with the settings between 5-8. Most blades work well with it.

1964 is my b-year also. I have a J1 uncirculated Slim in nickel and one in the gold plated Aristocrat edition. I’ll be using an almost new Slim in nickel next week on the b-day. I find the Slim to be a great shaver on the higher efficiency settings.

Our era doesn't give us a lot of options. I was born in 1962. As others have said, the obvious choice is the Gillette Slim Adjustable. It's actually a nice razor and a good shaver. I also was able to find a Gillette Flair Tip for my birth quarter. I think that's all there is.

If you can get a working Slim, go for it (I had two, and both were not ok). Otherwise a Gillette Superspeed. Of course, you can have both ;) (I think it is much easier to get your hands on these razors compared here in Europe).

Top Bottom