What's new

Best $100 Brush

I'm looking for a new brush and I have a $100 budget. The $100 is a firm maximum price (or I'll be beaten). I'd like a brush that will work with both soaps and creams, but nothing too scritchy. I rarely use soaps so softness is more important than firmness.

I'm not partial to any one brand as this will be my second brush. My first is a Vulfix #2233 and I'd like something more firm than that, but other than a shedding issue I liked that brush just fine. The return on the Vulfix will help me reach the $100 mark.

Thanks for the suggestions!

You might check this out CLICK HERE! This might be my next brush to get. I have one of Muehle's best badger brush and I am loving the heck out of it!
proxy.php

Try looking at www.knoxcigar.com for I bought a Muehl-Pinsel silvertip badger hair brush, 23mm knot, and with a white synthetic ivory handle on sale for $52.50 plus S&H. It must have sold out but the item # was 93K25. They sell other brushes. Happy shopping! Scotty

I pulled the trigger on the SR3122 this morning. Can't wait to give it a go.

Thanks for the suggestions gents!
:c2:

Mike,

A wise and excellent choice. I'll eat my hat if you're not happy with this brush! You could own no other brush but this one, and be set for years to come.

John

Geez, maybe I should stick to canned goo. I thought $30 seemed like a lot for a shave brush. I think I'm out of my element here.

MasonM said:
Geez, maybe I should stick to canned goo. I thought $30 seemed like a lot for a shave brush. I think I'm out of my element here.
Hey Mason,
Personally, if I am traveling (on the move) I really don't want to carry a silvertip, or a super because they do take much longer to dry out.. I know that sounds funny, but even though I have a very lovely super turnback, the pure in a container is the most convenient.. It's dry enough to pack away 30 minutes after rinsing, shaking, and painting onto a dry towel.

MasonM said:

Heh! Try the flashlight forums (candlepowerforum.com) where people routinely spend over $300 dollars for flashlights... :biggrin:

$100 for something you will use nearly everyday over the next several years makes sense to me though. The cost works out to be pennies a day.

Dennis

Mike02 said:
Heh! Try the flashlight forums (candlepowerforum.com) where people routinely spend over $300 dollars for flashlights... :biggrin:

Dennis

There really is a forum for everything.

Mike02 said:

$100 for something you will use nearly everyday over the next several years makes sense to me though. The cost works out to be pennies a day.

Dennis
For a flashlight? Geez, oil lamps are dirt cheap.

Speaking of cheap, I guess that's me. I understand the concept of using it for a lifetime. That's why I spent the money for a Futur. But maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of money for a brush.

MasonM said:
Speaking of cheap, I guess that's me. I understand the concept of using it for a lifetime. That's why I spent the money for a Futur. But maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of money for a brush.

I used to be right where you are on this topic. I figured if a cheap boar brush worked, why get another brush. Then, I got a better boar brush. I could not believe the difference. So, I then had to get a badger brush, but just a cheap one. I could not believe the difference. So, I had to get a higher quality badger brush with a different grade of hair. I couldn't believe the difference. I think you probably can see where this is going. That's right, I am thinking about adding to my collection. I'm sure this will be the last one.:rolleyes:

I may not have time to do a formal review, but here's a quicky:

I received my SR3122 today (I ordered it on Friday morning and received it Monday morning, incredible) and lucky for me I'm working from home so I got to try it right away.

I'm going to compare it to my Vulfix #2233 since that's the only other brush I've ever used. Well, there really is no comparison, I was kinda shocked--shocked I say!--at how different this SR brush is from my Vulfix. This is an entirely different type of instrument. It is unquestionably a far superior brush than I've been using for the last 2 1/2 months.

The bristles are firm but also very soft and cushy at the tips, and it is very dense, nearly hard at the base from the density. It's exactly what I was hoping for in terms of firmness. It's also bulbous where the Vulfix is flatter. I'm not sure how I feel about that, I'll have to see with some more experimentation. It didn't seem to affect the way I lather at all. I thought it might be less precise but I don't think that's the case, I think in fact it could be more accurate than the flatter top.

The handle is bigger than that on my Vulfix, and heavier, but not just heavier from the greater size--the material seems to be heavier. I like the shape too, the ridges seem to be right where I put my fingertips. I wasn't sure I'd like the handle design, but it's just about perfect for the way I hold a brush. I got lucky there.

I whipped up some Taylor's Avocado and was just awed at how fast the lather appeared and how thick it got so quickly. It felt great on my face: very mildly abrasive, mostly cushy from the soft tips.

I rinsed and tried some Mamma Bear's Rosemary Mint soap. I seem to be inept at using soap. I just suck at it. I'll keep trying. I can understand why I couldn't get a decent soap lather with my Vulfix though, there is nowhere near the needed firmness for me to coax foam out of the puck. A more experienced soap shaver probably could, but not I. Even so I got the definite impression that a good soap shave is in my immediate future. Soapy goodness shall be mine! Damnit!

In summary of my short (well, maybe not) review: I really, really like this brush. Thanks so much to those of you who recommended it to me, you've made my mornings just a little bit better than they already were. It is a brush with greatness. (get it? :blushing:)

Top Bottom