What's new

Best $10 Bottle

Alright all you winos out there....

For 10$ and less
What is your pick for the
1: Best and most easily accessible Red
2: Best and most easily accessible White and
3: Best and most easily accessible Sparkling wine

I have noticed quite an abundance of "spiritual" knowledge 'round here.
Now...cough up your secret picks !!

Thanks everyone.
This place "ROCKS"!!!:a54:

rikrdo said:
Alright all you winos out there....

For 10$ and less
What is your pick for the
1: Best and most easily accessible Red
2: Best and most easily accessible White and
3: Best and most easily accessible Sparkling wine

I have noticed quite an abundance of "spiritual" knowledge 'round here.
Now...cough up your secret picks !!

Thanks everyone.
This place "ROCKS"!!!:a54:

1) Charles Shaw Cabernet 2.00 bottle
2) I don't drink white wine
3) Tattinger Domaine Carneros, but I would have to take the 8 bucks left from the Cab and toss it towards the Sparkling, it's around 20 bucks but could be had on sale at World Market at times.

D'Arenberg Stump Jump red. Grenache/Shiraz blend as I remember (very similar blend to a Rhone, btw).

Cline Red Truck. Shiraz based also, I think, with other stuff blended in. Cline actually makes a number of good, affordable CA wines. Pretty decent Zins, if I remember right.

Already mentioned this elsewhere, but Castill de Remei Gotim Bru is great if you can find it. Maybe a little tanic to be considered "accessible" though....

Codice. Also spanish, similar to above, not quite on the same level, but also a little easier to drink, especially without a lot of breathing.

Tres Picos. Another really good spaniard. Temp and Grenache blend like the two above.

Actually, just go to a good wine store, and ask for their favorite spanish red for under $10. You will almost certainly be pleasantly surprised.

As for whites, you are own your own. Not that I don't drink them - I do. Used to scoff at them, but realized that the right one can be pretty damn good, and they really do go better with some food than reds. Anyone who claims they are boring has never had a Zind Humbrecht Gewurtz, that's for sure. I just don't pay as much attention, because I do like red better....

Oh, forget a fav. Sutter Home White Zinfindel.

j/k

moses said:
Actually, just go to a good wine store, and ask for their favorite spanish red for under $10. You will almost certainly be pleasantly surprised.

It's been my experience that this is true for most Chile wines also.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
moses said:
D'Arenberg Stump Jump red. Grenache/Shiraz blend as I remember (very similar blend to a Rhone, btw).

Cline Red Truck. Shiraz based also, I think, with other stuff blended in. Cline actually makes a number of good, affordable CA wines. Pretty decent Zins, if I remember right.

Already mentioned this elsewhere, but Castill de Remei Gotim Bru is great if you can find it. Maybe a little tanic to be considered "accessible" though....

Codice. Also spanish, similar to above, not quite on the same level, but also a little easier to drink, especially without a lot of breathing.

Tres Picos. Another really good spaniard. Temp and Grenache blend like the two above.

As for whites, you are own your own. Not that I don't drink them - I do. Used to scoff at them, but realized that the right one can be pretty damn good, and they really do go better with some food than reds. Anyone who claims they are boring has never had a Zind Humbrecht Gewurtz, that's for sure. I just don't pay as much attention, because I do like red better....

Oh, forget a fav. Sutter Home White Zinfindel.

j/k

Ditto on the Stump Jump- fantastic quality/price ratio. As for the Codice, I find it excessively oaked, but others might enjoy it. It's imported by Jorge Ordonez- look for his other bottlings- Vega Sindoa, Borsao, Borgia (best value of all), and Vina Alarba (last one got 89 pts. from RP, I believe).

About 95% of what I drink is red, but there are some incredible whites- not just the top burgundies, but some great stuff from Alsace, the Loire, and Germany. Producers such as Zind Humbrecht, Gaston Huet, Muller Catoir, J. J. Prum, Lingenfelder have some very nice items.

msandoval858 said:
Bogle wines are my favorite for <$10.

My wife and I had a bottle of Bogle cab on our honeymoon years ago which spurred us to buy our first case of a particular wine--its still one of our very favorites.:biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
mrob said:
My wife and I had a bottle of Bogle cab on our honeymoon years ago which spurred us to buy our first case of a particular wine--its still one of our very favorites.:biggrin:

.....which goes to prove the old adage:

the most important consideration in the enjoyment of wine is the proper selection of guests.

To say the least. I made fun of Sutter Home White Zin earlier, and indeed, calling in wine is a bit of a stretch, but I actually completely enjoyed the one glass I ever had, because of sipping it with good company. (Actually, btw, it isn't a bad beverage if cold enough, and you tell yourself it isn't wine).

Story - A high level wine exec was once asked while speaking at a conference what his best ever wine experience was. He said [don't remember the maker] white zin. Everyone gasped. Then he said "which I shared with three Swedish Air stewardesses in a hot tub."

No comment on his professionalism or level of gentlemanliness, but the story DOES illustrate the point....

I'd rather drink Chuck Shaw, or hell, even turning leaf with really good friends after a satisfying meal that Latour by myself. (well, maybe once, since I've never had Latour, but you get the point...)

Another good one for really cheap is Penfolds Rawson's Retreat. About $6 a bottle and not half bad at all. Shiraz/Cab blend.

Thanks for the great info evrybuddy !!

I am also looking for the goods in my local grocery store. We dont have any decent wine shop around so my selection is limited to Vons and Trader Joes.

I really dont want to drive much for my daily fix!!:001_rolle

Don't feel bad. TJ's is great for cheap good wine. Especially if really on a budget, give that there are few other places where you can get consistently pretty good wine for $5-6 or even less.

Downside is that there is usually not a knowledgeable person there who has tried most of the wines and can give you suggestions on the best buys....

Oh, if they have it, though, get some Smoking Loon Syrah. And let it breath a lot.

Hey Moses!!

Right on.
I have about 75 bottles in my "collection" right now. None of which cost more than $45. I dont have a problem spending a little dough BUT...

I DONT WANT TO PAY FOR LOUSY (MEDIOCRE) WINE !!

Thats why I started this thread. Looking for some viewers picks.
Thanks again.:biggrin:

Top Bottom