What's new

Best $1 spent on shaving supplies

I would like to mention that the Dollar Tree Shaving Gel (King of Shaves clone) is in my opinion the best one dollar spent for shaving supplies. The only competition I can think of would be Arko shaving soap and it you cannot find it locally you pay a good bit for shipping.

The Shaving Gel in nonlathering but does make a slight foam when rubbed into the beard. It softens the beard and creates a very slick surface on your face to decrease razor drag. Since it is nonlathering only a small minority on this website would be interested in it replacing the creams and soaps that create mounds of white lather on their skin, face or otherwise, but I believe this Shaving Gel makes a very nice shaving solution when traveling and could also be used as a preshave.

It's a bit over at $1.75, but Barbasol Pacific Rush AS splash is my absolute favorite cheap item and my daily AS. The same holds for Barbasol Yellow foam which I use when in a hurry... usually around $1.35 but I've caught it on sale under $1 before. For the more traditional, VDH Deluxe is hard to beat for around $1. If in Europe there are plenty of cheap creams like Nivea, Florena, Wilkinson Sword, and Arko for around €1 each.

I would like to mention that the Dollar Tree Shaving Gel (King of Shaves clone) is in my opinion the best one dollar spent for shaving supplies. The only competition I can think of would be Arko shaving soap and it you cannot find it locally you pay a good bit for shipping.

The Shaving Gel in nonlathering but does make a slight foam when rubbed into the beard. It softens the beard and creates a very slick surface on your face to decrease razor drag. Since it is nonlathering only a small minority on this website would be interested in it replacing the creams and soaps that create mounds of white lather on their skin, face or otherwise, but I believe this Shaving Gel makes a very nice shaving solution when traveling and could also be used as a preshave.

i was looking at that last week. but i have 4 pucks to use yet so....it can wait.

+1 for the palmolive stick
AND the palmolive foaming lather cream

I am still undecided on Fauldings lather cream but it was only 99c!

IMO...Dollar store generic Witch Hazel is the best dollar spent on shaving supplies at the Dollar Store. IMO...Witch Hazel is Witch Hazel. I like to add some in a 60/40 mix to the generic After Shave lotions from Barbasol and the Old Spice knock offs. That is if they carry it anymore for $1. Like everything else, they may be selling it for more than a buck now....along with the other items for shaving.

IMO...Dollar store generic Witch Hazel is the best dollar spent on shaving supplies at the Dollar Store. IMO...Witch Hazel is Witch Hazel. I like to add some in a 60/40 mix to the generic After Shave lotions from Barbasol and the Old Spice knock offs. That is if they carry it anymore for $1. Like everything else, they may be selling it for more than a buck now....along with the other items for shaving.

WH is a good deal. Don't like their blades. I like Williams for $1 as well.

It's a bit over at $1.75, but Barbasol Pacific Rush AS splash is my absolute favorite cheap item and my daily AS. The same holds for Barbasol Yellow foam which I use when in a hurry... usually around $1.35 but I've caught it on sale under $1 before. For the more traditional, VDH Deluxe is hard to beat for around $1. If in Europe there are plenty of cheap creams like Nivea, Florena, Wilkinson Sword, and Arko for around €1 each.
+1. I love this stuff

Most of my soaps are purchased through the internet so I buy in bulk
to greatly reduce shipping.

Arko & Palmolive are on my list for hard to beat for around $1.

ARKO is available on Amazon for $1.13 at stick and when buying 12 you get 3 free plus free shipping. So yes there does seem to be some competition.

Here in Oz there's nothing to be had for a dollar (found some Godrej Lime in an Indian grocery for $3 which was pretty good).

When I was in LA last year I stopped by a dollar store, and picked up some generic SE blades and some 'Macho' brand aftershave (made by Blue Cross healthcare).
The aftershave ain't half bad! It's certainly a cheap scent (no drydown to subtle basenotes here) but it does the job, it's a huge bottle, and it smells nice enough not to make me gag.

Most of my favourite shaving products cost less than £2.

Palmolive Classic Cream - £1.35
Ingram Menthol - £1.39
Enliven Balm - £1
Gillette Storm Force Spicy Aftershave Splash - £1

Maybe it is because I am a cheap skate that I enjoy the cheap stuff.

Here in Oz there's nothing to be had for a dollar (found some Godrej Lime in an Indian grocery for $3 which was pretty good).

When I was in LA last year I stopped by a dollar store, and picked up some generic SE blades and some 'Macho' brand aftershave (made by Blue Cross healthcare).
The aftershave ain't half bad! It's certainly a cheap scent (no drydown to subtle basenotes here) but it does the job, it's a huge bottle, and it smells nice enough not to make me gag.

If you don't mind the Palmolive or Faulding's products keep an eye out at Wooloworths. When they can't sell it in the numbers they like they mark it down massively and the sticks/cream can be had for under $1. I had the same experience when they used to sell Dr Pepper, it would go down down down down down in price, until it was around 70c for a 1.25L bottle. Then I'd buy all their shelf stock (usually 10-15 bottles) and they would restock, price would go back to being $2.25 haha.

Top Bottom