What's new

Besides B&M Seville, what is the best barbershop scent?

In no order......

Deluxe Shaving Barbershop
WSP Formula T Barbershop
Shannon's Barbershop
Seville including Reserve

Last edited:
seville isnt a barber scent to me. barber scents to me have teakwood, leather, musk, powder notes. seville is a great citrus scent though.

seville isnt a barber scent to me. barber scents to me have teakwood, leather, musk, powder notes. seville is a great citrus scent though.[/QUOTE

Originally I thought the same thing but I do pick up on some powdery notes.

Anyone try Noble Otter Barrbarr? So many variations that it's really hard.

The "problem" with barbershop scents is that everyone has a different take on what a barbershop scent should smell like based on their memory of the barbershop of their youth. Thus, there is a huge range of barbershop scents. When someone recommends a specific barbershop scent, it generally means that the scent matches their impression of what a barbershop scent should be. It may or may not have anything to do with what you recall from your youth.

Also you may discover that Europeans have a different impression of barbershop scents than do North Americans. I suspect every nationality has a different barbershop scent.

The "problem" with barbershop scents is that everyone has a different take on what a barbershop scent should smell like based on their memory of the barbershop of their youth. Thus, there is a huge range of barbershop scents. When someone recommends a specific barbershop scent, it generally means that the scent matches their impression of what a barbershop scent should be. It may or may not have anything to do with what you recall from your youth.

Also you may discover that Europeans have a different impression of barbershop scents than do North Americans. I suspect every nationality has a different barbershop scent.

When I was a kid during the hippie era in Boulder, my barbershop doubled as a head shop, and always had incense burning. To me, patchouli is the quintessential barbershop scent.

When I was a boy and my Dad got his haircut (us too) and a shave I loved the Bay Rum scent he had on the way home. Bay Rum and Old Spice are still my favorite. The old time barber shops had a wonderful odor that would be hard to duplicate. In the shop would be shelves with customers shaving mugs, my Dads was a red and white striped mug.

Alright, so I have a dumb question. Why did everyone have their own mug at a barbershop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, so I have a dumb question. Why did everyone have their own mug at a barbershop?

Not a dumb question. Not everyone that got a shave had there own mug, it was a matter of choice, some preferred a different soap or a type of brush, my Dad liked Williams soap and a Boar brush, for those that opted for the barbers soap, it came out of a hot lather machine and applied with his fingers. Everyone got the hot towel treatment.

First Canadian "Barbershop Taper Fade" soap was great.
I think they sold the company, and it's now called simply "Barbershop".
Barber Shop is a wonderful combination of lemon, bergamot, lavender, patchouli, rosemary, sandalwood, and tobacco.
When I first tried B&M Seville, the scent reminded me of Barbershop Taper Fade, but not quite as strong.

(American) Barbershop scents are typically built on some combination of lavender, patchouli, oakmoss and citrus -- in no particular order.

I love Seville, including the citrus, but hate Fine AB. Fine is just too overwhelming to my nose. I'm not a fan of powder scents either. Can anyone recommend a Barbershop scent that might work for me?

I agree that the definition of barbershop scent may be a little different for each person. That being said, I really like Fine American Blend.

So you didn't spread disease. It's also I law I believe. Same reason barbers in Germany started using towels to generate lather rather than a boar brush.

Top Bottom