What's new

Bersa Thunder 380 CC

I've been away from handguns for a few years -- just didn't have the disposable income until recently. Also recently, I've become more aware of the need for personal protection.

My experience was with .22LR semi-autos and .22WMR revolvers; I loved my Ruger Single Six with the interchangeable cylinders. But I know I'll need more firepower should I get into a bad spot. I plan to see about a CC class, and to visit a couple of the local ranges to rent a few different guns and practice a bit.

However, I'm impressed by what I've read and seen about the Bersa Thunder .380 CC. I'm sure there are even more impressive guns on the market, but the price I see is hard to beat, I like the way it looks and operates (in videos, anyway), and the reported low recoil and good accuracy are also selling points for me.

The trouble is, none of the online places I've checked seem to have them for sale -- they're all "out of stock/notify me when available." I'll ask at my local dealer. There's also a gun show every 60 days or so in the suburbs. But if the gun is hard to find online, will it be easier to find, or order, at a shop?

I guess what I'm asking is, is this gun (and .380 ammo generally) hard to find right now?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Both are hard to find. The gun will be easier than the ammo, but not much. It seems the gun shows have a decent supply of hand guns as long as you don’t mind paying a little more right now.

Is there a particular caliber that is NOT that hard to find now? No, not .22 or .25, but upwards of there?

My shooting experience ranged up to 9mm (I fired a Luger once at a range -- a dream gun), and I don't know until I experiment how I could handle 9mm, .40, or .45ACP. Plus even the compact versions of guns that fire those calibers are pretty big for concealed carry.

I'd love, just for fun, to have a Single Action Army clone in .45 Long Colt or .44. But that would be for target shooting fun. A small pistol seems right to me for everyday carry.

By the way, do I need to be concerned that sellers at a gun show are reliable -- that the Bersa .380 the guy just sold me will actually work? I'm thinking along the lines of used-car dealers, which is what I have experience with.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you are buying a new gun, whether from a gun show or a brick and mortar gun shop, warranty issues will be between you and the manufacturer, I would think. Almost all popular defensive handgun ammo is hard to get at this time, regardless of caliber.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The Bersa is an okay larger sized 380. There are many considerably smaller. But this is certainly not a buyers market. If you are not military or law enforcement then caliber is not a major consideration. If you get into a bad spot the most important factors for you will be:

1. do you have the gun with you?
  2. can you handle the gun when under stress?
  3. can you place several shots rapidly into a fist sized spot across a normal room?
If you can do the above with a 22LR revolver or pistol then 22LR may well be your best choice right now.

For now, based on the information you've provided a 22lr or 32 caliber revolver might really be another choice. They have a simply manual of arms with few things you will need to remember under stress and are often still available. Some ones to consider would be the Charter Arms Undercoverette and the Ruger LCR.

But at your stage and under today's constraints think in terms of Bad Breath Distance and location Location LOCATION

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
But at your stage and under today's constraints think in terms of Bad Breath Distance and location Location LOCATION

Accuracy is more point and shoot with the smaller PD guns and 98% of the time if you would need it you would be at bad breath distance. There are guys that can shoot a tiny group at 30 yards but can't hit the paper in fast draw and rapid fire. I am not very good at 30 yards, I also don't plan on using my pistol that far out in self defense, my rear is running away at that distance. I 2nd Location, location, location.

I have that Bersa and it's a fine gun. Hard to beat at the price, but it's still a 380 which doesn't have the greatest stopping power. I carry mine on my property and have recently purchased a Canik TP9. I have the SF Elite, but there are many versions available starting at $299. It's a 9mm and a fine pistol. Much better stopping power but harder to conceal if that's your objective.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is there a particular caliber that is NOT that hard to find now? No, not .22 or .25, but upwards of there?

My shooting experience ranged up to 9mm (I fired a Luger once at a range -- a dream gun), and I don't know until I experiment how I could handle 9mm, .40, or .45ACP. Plus even the compact versions of guns that fire those calibers are pretty big for concealed carry.

I'd love, just for fun, to have a Single Action Army clone in .45 Long Colt or .44. But that would be for target shooting fun. A small pistol seems right to me for everyday carry.

By the way, do I need to be concerned that sellers at a gun show are reliable -- that the Bersa .380 the guy just sold me will actually work? I'm thinking along the lines of used-car dealers, which is what I have experience with.
I used to have a Charter Arms clone of the SA Colt Navy in .44 magnum. Usually when I went to the range, everything was shooting 9MM or smaller. When I would open up the .44 shooting would momentarily stop as people looked my direction. That thing made a big boom. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have that Bersa and it's a fine gun. Hard to beat at the price, but it's still a 380 which doesn't have the greatest stopping power. I carry mine on my property and have recently purchased a Canik TP9. I have the SF Elite, but there are many versions available starting at $299. It's a 9mm and a fine pistol. Much better stopping power but harder to conceal if that's your objective.
My buddy has a Canik TP9 and I was blown away by it. MY WIFE even loved it at our hillbilly range. An incredible value. He did something to it, his fault, and the company fixed it for FREE. HIS fault, and they fixed it. Again, a shockingly good gun. I doubt there's a better one out there for the money.

If I weren't a revolver addict I'd buy one yesterday.

And to @Benzadmiral : if you can try an LCR in 32 or 38, do so. ANY ammo is impossible to get right now, unless it's rifle ammo. 22 is a little more available, but it's at a premium, unfortunately.

Top Bottom