What's new

Bernie Madoff gets 150 years for Ponzi Scheme

I think it's good they convicted the guy but... does anyone else find the idea of such a long sentence a little ridiculous? I get that they wanted a sentence long enough that there's no chance of him walking, but wouldn't a lesser number like 50 have worked just as well? I don't know, it kind of reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer gives something his lowest rating ever, seven thumbs up.

I think it's good they convicted the guy but... does anyone else find the idea of such a long sentence a little ridiculous? I get that they wanted a sentence long enough that there's no chance of him walking, but wouldn't a lesser number like 50 have worked just as well? I don't know, it kind of reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer gives something his lowest rating ever, seven thumbs up.

Stealing money like he did is wrong and he deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail. That said, the whole purpose of the number of years is for appearances only. This is like every year the IRS publically comes down hard on a person or company to put the fear of God into evey one. The thing is most people are honest and would never do the things that get people like Madoff or other ciminals to get in trouble and the people that would do those things think that will never get caught so they don't think about the consequences of their actions.

I think it was not so much they wanted him to go away for 150 years, but that each criminal act carried a certain sentence, and when sentenced, they were to be served back to back, not concurrently.

Stealing money like he did is wrong and he deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail. That said, the whole purpose of the number of years is for appearances only. This is like every year the IRS publically comes down hard on a person or company to put the fear of God into evey one. The thing is most people are honest and would never do the things that get people like Madoff or other ciminals to get in trouble and the people that would do those things think that will never get caught so they don't think about the consequences of their actions.

I think it was not so much they wanted him to go away for 150 years, but that each criminal act carried a certain sentence, and when sentenced, they were to be served back to back, not concurrently.

Ok, that clears things up quite nicely. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom