What's new

BERKELEY CALIF. BANS MANHOLES

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just saw where Berkeley banned natural gas in new home construction. What are they going to do during a major blackout, use kerosene lamps? Oh, can't do that...fire hazard. Better stock up on flashlight batteries. Oh, wait...those add to pollution when the used batteries go to landfills.

Cali. has already banned fireplaces in new homes. Guess you'd better get a generator to run the heat when the power is out during the winter. Oh, wait...running a generator contributes to air pollution. Scratch that.

manw.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I always liked the traffic sign that says "PREPARE TO STOP WHEN AMBER FLASHING"

Good advice.

proxy.php

Actually, "chair-person" was popularised in the early 70's as part of the feminist movement's effort to transition to gender-neutral words.

Actually actually, the move away from "Chairman" was because nobody else was Sinatra.

Could you imagine if "fireman" was replaced by "fire-person." Sounds ridiculous, right? So "fire-fighter" was chosen instead. Same with "postman." Nobody's going to adopt "post-person" so "postal carrier" was chosen instead.

They went from "post man" to "postal" and look what happened when they went postal.

Are we all going to cowtow

That's offensive to other barnyard animals.

Oh no. Now i have to remove Berkeley city codes off my bedtime reading list. How will i MANage?

You will have to personage.

At a mates place over the weekend and he proudly showed off his new workshop/armature radio set up. I coined the phrase, nice man cave. I was immediately told this is a gender natural space therefor a 'the Sanctuary'. :001_unsur

Poor bloke, must be married.
Anyway, next time use the compliment: "Nice person-cave!"

And how will woman get a manicure?

"Manicure" is code for fixing toxic masculinity.

Oh, the terrible places I could go with this! But I must refrain, because true humor is ALWAYS family friendly.

Just bump the thread once a month.

Excellent point. We need him back.

Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again. That would be yuge.

My mother was a male carrier!

proxy.php

We'll have to change it from "sloppy Joe" to "Sloppy Jamie" or something.

More fun from the word police, in San Fransisco...
"The words “felon,” “offender,” “convict,” “addict” and “juvenile delinquent” would be part of the past in official San Francisco parlance under new “person first” language guidelines adopted by the Board of Supervisors."...
It's as hilarious as it is sad!
A convicted felon would become a "formerly incarcerated person" or a "justice-involved person."
A parolee could become a "person under supervision."
A juvenile delinquent becomes a "young person with justice system involvement" or a "young person impacted by the justice system."
The non-binding resolution even uses its own proposed language, in one part referring to the stigma of "justice-involved" individuals.
Regrettably, the resolution does not offer any new terms for a victim, but it should consider them, because "victim" reflects so negatively on the "person with former justice system involvement" who came in contact with him and took affirmative steps which placed himself outside the codifed boundaries of societal norms!

By 2050 — earlier, probably — all real knowledge of Oldspeak will have disappeared. The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Byron — they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not merely changed into something different, but actually contradictory of what they used to be. Even the literature of The Party will change. Even the slogans will change. How could you have a slogan like Freedom is Slavery when the concept of freedom has been abolished? The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking — not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.

-George Orwell, "Nineteen Eighty Four"

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
“I am number two.”
“Who is number one?”
“You are number six.”
“Ranking us in that way is discrimination and hurts my feewwiinnggss!! I need a safe space.”
“Welcome to the island.”

Top Bottom