What's new

Bergara Rifles

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
What was your overall opinion on it? Would you recommend them? How is the factory trigger?
So...
Rifle shot lights out with SK match! Trigger was meh (wouldn't go below 3 pounds) and was swapped for a Trigger Tech Diamond 2-stage. Overall I liked it a LOT! I believe the higher end Bergara's come with a Trigger Tech Primary from the factory
Downside, there was a known (but sporadic) issue with ejection on the B14R. But 700SA pattern .22s can be a trail to get dialed in mechanically speaking but I reached out to Bergara C/S and explained the problem and was told and I quote "You aren't running the bolt right." and I about lost it! Fixed it myself (not enough spring tension on the ejector claw) with a safety detent spring out of an AR kit and all was good! Full disclosure, I showed that C/S e-mail to the local rep and he was fit to be tied as well so don't let that dissuade you (plus that was on a rimfire so it's not going to be an issue) .Only other thing I would suggest is if you have the option between a steel and a carbon barrel do your research. In the case of the B14R the carbon version sports a pencil thin barrel hidden under a carbon tube that isn't filled, etc. It's not like a Proof where the carbon is a solid wrap around a sleeve. All in all I think you would be very happy with it!

P.S. What is the application? 300 PRC is a great round but inside of 1200 yards I'm not sure it can make things any deader that a 6.5CM or a 6.5 PRC. Just thinking out loud. And I get it. The BIG boomers have a lot of appeal! :)

So...
Rifle shot lights out with SK match! Trigger was meh (wouldn't go below 3 pounds) and was swapped for a Trigger Tech Diamond 2-stage. Overall I liked it a LOT! I believe the higher end Bergara's come with a Trigger Tech Primary from the factory
Downside, there was a known (but sporadic) issue with ejection on the B14R. But 700SA pattern .22s can be a trail to get dialed in mechanically speaking but I reached out to Bergara C/S and explained the problem and was told and I quote "You aren't running the bolt right." and I about lost it! Fixed it myself (not enough spring tension on the ejector claw) with a safety detent spring out of an AR kit and all was good! Full disclosure, I showed that C/S e-mail to the local rep and he was fit to be tied as well so don't let that dissuade you (plus that was on a rimfire so it's not going to be an issue) .Only other thing I would suggest is if you have the option between a steel and a carbon barrel do your research. In the case of the B14R the carbon version sports a pencil thin barrel hidden under a carbon tube that isn't filled, etc. It's not like a Proof where the carbon is a solid wrap around a sleeve. All in all I think you would be very happy with it!

P.S. What is the application? 300 PRC is a great round but inside of 1200 yards I'm not sure it can make things any deader that a 6.5CM or a 6.5 PRC. Just thinking out loud. And I get it. The BIG boomers have a lot of appeal! :)

Thanks for you insights and taking the time to respond. This won't be a hunting rifle as I dont hunt. Primarily shooting some steel at various distances. Honestly I would be fine with a 308 but my son has a 300 RUM and I want a large caliber rifle to shoot along his big boomer.

nikonNUT

Thanks for you insights and taking the time to respond. This won't be a hunting rifle as I dont hunt. Primarily shooting some steel at various distances. Honestly I would be fine with a 308 but my son has a 300 RUM and I want a large caliber rifle to shoot along his big boomer.
My pleasure! Nothing wrong with that and the 300 PRC is ballistically superior to the RUM. Another plus of the 300 PRC is that you can shoot it everywhere! There are .30 cal restrictions popping up at all the long range venues I used to visit so my .338LM is homeless. I am sad but my shoulder is happy! :lol:

nikonNUT

I think I'm gonna get the Bergara Premier HMR Pro. It has the upgraded trigger in it.
Nice rifle! You might want to look at the Ridgeback version though and, yes, it has the trigger tech trigger as well. I have my Vudoo in one and the M-Lok rails are a nice feature in case you want to do something like add an ARCA rail or weight at a future date. If you don't it still has a VERY wide flat fore end which I have found invaluable for getting stable in a non-bipod situation (I forgot my gamer plate at the regional finale and the rifle settled just fine using the fore end as is.). Here's my Ridgeback pimped out to my specs. Added a Dependabilt ARCA rail and some MDT weights to get the balance where I want it. It all depends on your needs!
Vudoo.jpg

P.S. Grayboe is owned by Ryan McMillan (Yes, that McMillan. His dad helped him get started and then kicked him out on his own! :lol: ) and is one of the nicest guys you will ever talk to! He will go out of his way to help if you have a stock related issue.

I have a Bergara B14 Ridge in 7mm-08. Very accurate and very well made. It has a hinged floor plate internal box mag, but Bergara does sell a kit to convert these to an external box mag if you'd rather. It's 7.5 lbs out of the box and it has a threaded barrel if you want to use a suppressor (which I do). There is a B14 Hunter model that is a bit lighter.

Top Bottom