What's new

Bergamont

I have read at least one post (although I can't remember where) that implied Bergamot was phototoxic. Does anyone else have any information on this?
Tosolg, I think that The Shaving Gallery do a Bergamot and Bay shaving cream.
Warm regards,
Alex

AJS said:
I have read at least one post (although I can't remember where) that implied Bergamot was phototoxic. Does anyone else have any information on this?
Tosolg, I think that The Shaving Gallery do a Bergamot and Bay shaving cream.
Warm regards,
Alex
Alex,
Photoactive, not phototoxic...

The post I was refering to can be found on the www.straightrazorplace.com
forums on the topic of home made aftershave tips. The guy said phototoxic so I blame him for making me look stupid:blushing: Still, I have always been a student of the humanities and science scares me:tongue:
Thanks for clearing that up Ron, so how big an impact does the photoactivity have on the user of a shave cream in which it is included? I was interested in the Shaving Gallery cream myself, which is why I responded in the first place.
Warm regards,
Alex

Having spoken to my former university roomate who is a chemistry student I can offer the following explanation. Certain essential oils such as bergamot, bitter orange and lime contain an oil called bergaptene which is the main causative agent in the photoactivity of the essential oils. The oils themselves are not phototoxic, but when exposed to uv they cause what is known as photosensitization where the skin is more susceptible to the damaging effects of UV light. When the oils are extracted with direct expression and without distillation they are at their most photoactive, anyone using certain citrus oils for aromatherapy massage are advisd to avoid exposure to sunbeds for at least 12 hours.
The citrus oils in question are only particularly dangerous when used in an undiluted form, in low concentrations they do not pose any threat. Also Bergamot FCF, is an essential oil of bergamot without bergaptene.
I hope this has cleared up any confusion my mixing up the terms photoactive (which the oils themselves are) with the term phototoxicity ( which is what happens when the oils cause the skin to be more prone to UV damage.)
As for the bergamot and bay shave cream, I was reluctant to purchase it before because of what I have read; however now I have a firmer grasp on the situation I do not think that the amount of bergamot in a shave cream would pose any great threat.
Sorry for the confusion.
Warm regards,
Alex

Alex, at one time Sue at Saint Charles shaving offered a soft bergamot soap. I think it's out of production. I have the soap and enjoy the scent and lather qualities.

Thanks Austin. I was thinking of doing an order with that company myself. Is there a particular variety you would recommend? I was looking at Savoury Rose and Almond to begin with, but if you have any other suggestions any excuse to increase the size of the order is fine with me:wink:
Warm regards,
Alex

Tosolg, back to your original query, for information on the bergamot and bay shaving cream check out www.shavinggallery.com They also do a cedarwood cream which I think would make for an interesting scent.
Warm regards,
Alex

Alex, the savory rose, almond and sandalwood are my favorites. Check out the Charles Tyrwhitt cedar/lemon shave creams that are on sell for $4. Great shave cream and scent.

AJS said:
I hope this has cleared up any confusion my mixing up the terms photoactive (which the oils themselves are) with the term phototoxicity ( which is what happens when the oils cause the skin to be more prone to UV damage.)
Thanks for the clarification because I made the same mistake in another B&B post. If you really like bergamot, you can buy the essential oil and put a few drops in your lavender creams because they do mix well.

Telly

AJS said:
Having spoken to my former university roomate who is a chemistry student I can offer the following explanation. Certain essential oils such as bergamot, bitter orange and lime contain an oil called bergaptene which is the main causative agent in the photoactivity of the essential oils. The oils themselves are not phototoxic, but when exposed to uv they cause what is known as photosensitization where the skin is more susceptible to the damaging effects of UV light. When the oils are extracted with direct expression and without distillation they are at their most photoactive, anyone using certain citrus oils for aromatherapy massage are advisd to avoid exposure to sunbeds for at least 12 hours.
The citrus oils in question are only particularly dangerous when used in an undiluted form, in low concentrations they do not pose any threat. Also Bergamot FCF, is an essential oil of bergamot without bergaptene.
As for the bergamot and bay shave cream, I was reluctant to purchase it before because of what I have read; however now I have a firmer grasp on the situation I do not think that the amount of bergamot in a shave cream would pose any great threat.
Sorry for the confusion.
Warm regards,
Alex
Alex,
Stated like a true gentleman. You will often find psuedoscience and other "FUD" on the forums. It seems that the forum reality of these issues has more to do with who said it first and how many others howl the same tune.

Austin said:
Alex, the savory rose, almond and sandalwood are my favorites. Check out the Charles Tyrwhitt cedar/lemon shave creams that are on sell for $4. Great shave cream and scent.

Alex the Ginger Lime is also another fine fagrance worth considering.

Brian

Top Bottom