What's new

Bent tooth on open comb razor

Razor teeth seem to be good for one bend only. I don't understand that, but it's a fact.
The phenomenon is called Work hardening. There is no sure fire way to straighten a bent tooth, but you can stack the odds in your favor by annealing.

I'm so confident that after practicing (a lot), I tackled my two most collectible Gillettes. I've successfully straightened a significant bend on my Double Ring, and and extreme bend on my 1906 Single Ring. One tooth was bent so far that it touched the neighboring tooth.

The phenomenon is called Work hardening. There is no sure fire way to straighten a bent tooth, but you can stack the odds in your favor by annealing.

I'm so confident that after practicing (a lot), I tackled my two most collectible Gillettes. I've successfully straightened a significant bend on my Double Ring, and and extreme bend on my 1906 Single Ring. One tooth was bent so far that it touched the neighboring tooth.
Brother Rudy,

Thou art a brave man to attempt to fix an exceedingly rare double-ringed Gillette Old Type razor. I salute your skill and knowledge.

Thou art a brave man to attempt to fix an exceedingly rare double-ringed Gillette Old Type razor.
Yeah, too much bravery often equates to stupidity ;-) I shouldn't have attempted it, but am happy it worked out.

I wouldn't do it with an heirloom, or someone else's razor though. No matter how careful you are, you can't tell if it will break.

Top Bottom